Wikiposts

I-751 docs to NE

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 docs to NE

Hi all. I mailed my I-751 docs 10 days ago to Nebraska, but I haven't received anything from them yet. The check hasn't been cashed either. I had requested a "return receipt", haven't received that either. The tricky thing is that I used the kiosk at the post office to mail the package.

My 2 year GC will expire in 100 days, which is close. So, I need to make sure they got the package. How do I do that? Since the check hasn't been cashed it probably means that nothing is in the system yet. Should I mail another package? I will need new affidavits, other than that everything else were copies? But again, that will confuse USCIS if they already have my other application. I'm approaching panic mode.

Paw1
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 4:29 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 docs to NE

Originally Posted by Paw1
Hi all. I mailed my I-751 docs 10 days ago to Nebraska, but I haven't received anything from them yet. The check hasn't been cashed either. I had requested a "return receipt", haven't received that either. The tricky thing is that I used the kiosk at the post office to mail the package.

My 2 year GC will expire in 100 days, which is close. So, I need to make sure they got the package. How do I do that? Since the check hasn't been cashed it probably means that nothing is in the system yet. Should I mail another package? I will need new affidavits, other than that everything else were copies? But again, that will confuse USCIS if they already have my other application. I'm approaching panic mode.

Paw1
As the I-751 instructions state, you are supposed to file to remove conditions within 90 days of your conditional (two-year) green card's expiration date. If your green card expires in 100 days, and you mailed your application 10 days ago, then unfortunately you have submitted your application approximately 20 days too early. As such, your application will be rejected and most likely returned.

You will need to resubmit your I-751 application within the 90-day window prior to your card's expiration. However, DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU HEAR BACK FROM USCIS FIRST.

I suggest that when you resubmit your application, you will want to give it to a teller at the post office and send it certified/return receipt. That's the best way to ensure the barcode sticker gets put on the return receipt card, and that the package is mailed correctly. Honestly, I didn't know you could mail something via return receipt without having the postal worker put the barcode sticker on the card.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the prompt response. They're actually going to mail the docs back to me? And I should mail it in 10 days?

I was under the impression that "within 90 days" ment before you have only 90 days left on the GC. So then what is the cutoff time? Isn't there a time after which it's too late to apply? I'm confused.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 4:50 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paw1
Thanks for the prompt response. They're actually going to mail the docs back to me? And I should mail it in 10 days?

I was under the impression that "within 90 days" ment before you have only 90 days left on the GC. So then what is the cutoff time? Isn't there a time after which it's too late to apply? I'm confused.

Yes, they should return the entire package to you -- if I'm mistaken, someone will correct me.

You should submit your I-751 application within 90 days before your green card expires. Since I don't know your card's expiration date, it is hard to give you exact dates.

However, let's say your card expires on August 1, 2007. Ninety (90) days prior to August 1st is May 4, 2007 -- the EARLIEST date you could submit your I-751 application. The LATEST date you could submit it is your expiration date (not recommended).

If you are unsure how to calculate 90 calendar days, go to this webpage:

Calculate duration between two dates

~ Jenney
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
However, let's say your card expires on August 1, 2007. Ninety (90) days prior to August 1st is May 4, 2007
That's funny you used that as an example, since my GC expires August 4th 2007 and I have everything ready to go for May 7th... LOL. (After reading some NSC timelines for biometrics, I probably won't mail it until near the end of May though, that way we don't run the risk of kidlet having to take a day off school for the biometrics and we can go during summer vacation instead).