Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

Wikiposts

I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Jean_Esp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

Hello Guys, I filled I-751 a couple month ago. I got my NOA and I already did the fingerprints. My divorce decree will be ready in a couple weeks and I will fill a new petition I-751 based on bona fide marriage. I will withdrawn the joint petition.

My question is this: Should I pay $465 as filling fee only or also the $80 for finger prints again. I was thinking to include in my petition the ASC Appointment Notice with the biometrics processing stamp and pay only $465. What do you guys think?

Second, I received the 1 year extension from the joint petition. If I filled the new waiver petition and leave the country trying to be admitted with the joint petition extension, do you guys thing that would be wrong since I withdrawn that petition?

Jean
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

Originally Posted by Jean_Esp
Should I pay $465 as filling fee only or also the $80 for finger prints again.
It's an entirely new petition... you must pay *both* the filing fee and fingerprint fee.

If I filled the new waiver petition and leave the country trying to be admitted with the joint petition extension, do you guys thing that would be wrong since I withdrawn that petition?
Easy answer - do *not* withdraw the first petition. You don't have to and there is no need to.

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you Ian for your prompt answer. If I dont withdrawn the first joint petition you dont think I would have two petitions at the same time?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If I dont withdrawn the first joint petition you dont think I would have two petitions at the same time?
Well, yes... you will have two petitions at the same time, but that's not a problem. Eventually, the first petition will be denied because you are no longer married.

If you really want to avoid problems, don't file the 2nd petition until after your trip.

Ian
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Cherr1980 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am in your same boat. Filed jointly in Dec and now my divorce will be final next week. I have my package ready to sent only waiting to attach the divorce decree.

Yeah, it sucks but you should pay the ENTIRE fee, form plus fingerprints.

I am including a cover letter that explains that I filed jointly and I attached my previous NOA´s (including the biometric ones) so they do the match. I am not saying that "I am withdrawing" but "I filed a joint I-751 petition and due to divorce I am filing a new I-751 with evidence of my bona fide marriage...and" yada yada yada.

I think the exact words is not the issue since once you attached the divorce decree they know that your previous one is kaputt, anyway you MUST filed a new petition. Your previous one won't be valid the day that the judge signed the divorce petition.

If you go out now while your previous petition is valid, you dont have a problem since you are not divorced as of yet. But if you go out and you are already divorce...I would not do it, but that is my personal opinion. They probably won't find it right away and most probably your previous petition will look still as "pending" but bare in mind...that previous extension is not longer valid regardless if they find it out sooner or later.

I need to travel in mid July, but I would wait until I received my new extension letter and be able to get a new stamp for travel. Last week that I entered they say I should not use the extension letter only the stamp...wonders! I am in ATL.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Cherr for sharing your case with me. I talked to the Jax office and they told me the stamp was not necessary and the NOA was enough. I will call them back to figure it out if I can get one before traveling abroad.

I agree with you, it sucks having to pay the full fee again, it makes no sense at all. Initially I thought an amendment petition will be enough, but afterwards I realized that it will be an entire new petition.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

well, yeah that was my discussion with the CBP people last week. This time I entered...I showed the stamp and I was in my way...they were saying that no no, I needed the stamp (after I entered like 10 times in the US with my GC expired...). So I carry everything because the airline ask for the letter not the stamp and since ATL is my hub anyway.

Good luck with your filing, if you want I can PM you when I send mine this week. I am UNFORTUNATELY with VSC.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:25 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

You need a valid green card or a stamp, the airline's can and do make problems they have with me in the past.

And you need to cancel the other petition I was approved a self petition in Nov 2007 and the officer, said he wished that more people would cancel any other prior petitions, as it can delay and hold up the case plus cause confusion!!

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jun 29th 2008 at 8:27 am.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well, yes... you will have two petitions at the same time, but that's not a problem.

Ian
I don't think this is correct
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Hello Bionomique, therefore, do you agree with me that in the cover letter of my application I should request the withdrawn of my joint petition?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Lightbulb Re: I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You need a valid green card or a stamp, the airline's can and do make problems they have with me in the past.

And you need to cancel the other petition I was approved a self petition in Nov 2007 and the officer, said he wished that more people would cancel any other prior petitions, as it can delay and hold up the case plus cause confusion!!
So Poppy, you that have been through this (I did not know that you filed jointly previously) we should state "I am withdrawing my previously filed joint petition I-751 with my ex husband, Charles Darwin NOA# xxxxxx. I am filing a NEW petition I-751 due to divorce, attached are evidence of my bona fide marriage"? Is that right??

I just need to verify so I can correct the first page of my cover letter. I am sending this tomorrow.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

Poppy, I another quick question for you...did you have to change names? If so, how was your experience at the SSA?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:57 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherr1980
So Poppy, you that have been through this (I did not know that you filed jointly previously) we should state "I am withdrawing my previously filed joint petition I-751 with my ex husband, Charles Darwin NOA# xxxxxx. I am filing a NEW petition I-751 due to divorce, attached are evidence of my bona fide marriage"? Is that right??

I did not file jointly but I did file another case so I had 2 running at the same time so to speak....but the above quote that you have stated would in my opinion be more then adequate.

I just need to verify so I can correct the first page of my cover letter. I am sending this tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Cherr1980
Poppy, I another quick question for you...did you have to change names? If so, how was your experience at the SSA?
In what respect do you mean!!
I have since my divorce kept my married name if that helps.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Hello Bionomique, therefore, do you agree with me that in the cover letter of my application I should request the withdrawn of my joint petition?
Until such time that USCIS adopt AILA's recommendations, yes, I believe current practice is that the alien withdraw the pending and jointly-filed I-751 and replace it with a waiver and a divorce decree.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: I-751 divorcing after filling joint petition!!!

Thanks Poppy girl and Bionomnique!

I will see tomorrow...I have my final court date and I should get my divorce decree and all that. So since I am asking already for several hours off work I wanted to go to the SSA and DMV office...this is getting harder. A girl in another forum the SSA office told her that she must wait until the PLASTIC card...that is ridiculous! is getting a year...so how that I can change my W4 with my new name but I won't be able to change my name in my SSN...how they will match all that?

So far the DMV looks like it is going to be a little bit better...who knows...I really hate all this. I never ever should change my name...I mean isn't enough to go through divorce and all that...it's like over and over again...jeeez! :curse: