Wikiposts

I-751 and divorce

Old Jan 15th 2002, 8:21 am
Maria

My conditional status expires on March 6th, 2002. I filed I-751 together with my
US citizen spouse, back in December. We received the NOA extending my card for
another year.

My husband, out-of-the-blue has announced me he doesn't like to be married and he
wants a divorce. Last month we filed together, we lived together, as husband and
wife. While this has been such a shock to me, I am wondering what I am supposed to
do: let INS know about our current situation, wait to hear from INS first, or what
should I do?

Thank you.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 11:45 am
Alvena Ferreira

Maria wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
The first thing I would do is ask him to have marriage counselling. If nothing else,
this will give you evidence that you tried to save the marriage. The second thing I
would do is nothing: wait and see if the I-751 goes ahead and processes and you get
your permanent resident card without having an interview. If the I-751 does NOT
process without an interview, then if you get divorced, you should file another I-751
immediately, based on the divorce. Attorney is recommended. Start finding, copying,
and putting documentation together now, put it in a bank box for security, in case
you end up filing that I-751 based on a divorce. Just get the info out of the house
into a safe place. He who fails to prepare, prepares to fail. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:18 pm
Onigiri

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I think it is nice that he had waited until you both filed I-751 together. Many USCs
have turned weird on their alien spouses with rather awkward timings. Nice man, your
husband. There could be a lot of advantages to be unmarried and live together. Have a
chat and find out what is in his mind.

>
    >
Collect all the documents that can demonstrate that you have had a normal married
life thus far and save them in a safe place. Wait for the INS to respond to the
petition you had filed. If they approve ( a very good chance that they will) without
an interview, follow the instructions of the INS and get yourself a permanent
resident card. Your immediate worry is not the INS. Keep cool and take care.

Old Jan 17th 2002, 1:42 am
Maria

"Onigiri" <[email protected]>

[usenetquote2]> > My conditional status expires on March 6th, 2002. I filed I-751 together with my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > US citizen spouse, back in December. We received the NOA extending my card for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > another year.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My husband, out-of-the-blue has announced me he doesn't like to be married and he[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wants a divorce. Last month we filed together, we lived together, as husband and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wife. While this has been such a shock to me,[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I am wondering what I am supposed to do: let INS know about our current[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > situation, wait to hear from INS first, or what should I do?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Thank you very much to both of you for your advise. We talked and agreed that a
divorce is not going to happen anytime soon. And maybe this gives us a chance to work
out our differences.