Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 couple of questions (for a friend)

I-751 couple of questions (for a friend)

Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:45 am
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice
Talking I-751 couple of questions (for a friend)

hi everyone - long time no speak!

i have questions regarding the latest I-751 - a couple things seem to have changed since i did mine and i hope someone can help to answer them. my friend is wanting to hire a lawyer to do all this for her, and i don't know if she needs to. i certainly didn't - it was very straight forward.

1. the fingerprint card. what is this? is this not something that is just done with biometrics, or is it something that needs to be included with the application. if so, where does my friend need to to get it done? maybe it's just me, but the information on the government site seems a little vague.

2. the sworn affidavits... is this a fairly new thing? i have no memory of doing this.

i still see the old regs on the board from when i was here (hi ray!). hope you are all doing well
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751 couple of questions (for a friend)

Originally Posted by tortoise
hi everyone - long time no speak!

i have questions regarding the latest I-751 - a couple things seem to have changed since i did mine and i hope someone can help to answer them. my friend is wanting to hire a lawyer to do all this for her, and i don't know if she needs to. i certainly didn't - it was very straight forward.

1. the fingerprint card. what is this? is this not something that is just done with biometrics, or is it something that needs to be included with the application. if so, where does my friend need to to get it done? maybe it's just me, but the information on the government site seems a little vague.

2. the sworn affidavits... is this a fairly new thing? i have no memory of doing this.

i still see the old regs on the board from when i was here (hi ray!). hope you are all doing well
hiya Hot Lips

The fingerprint card.. ignore. The petitioner will automagically get called in for a biometrics appointment.

The affidavits? You probably didn't do them.. many of us didn't. They are a suggested form of evidence of debated importance. Some folk think they are mandated, others of us ignored them. All got approved.

Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
hiya Hot Lips

The fingerprint card.. ignore. The petitioner will automagically get called in for a biometrics appointment.

The affidavits? You probably didn't do them.. many of us didn't. They are a suggested form of evidence of debated importance. Some folk think they are mandated, others of us ignored them. All got approved.

Not bad advice. Much nicer than the RTFM I was thinking of. Forgive, we are in a early heat wave. Fire Season is over five months away but they have started already.

[BTW, our neighborhood fire last May 9th removed all the local "fuel load" so we are OK for a few years.].
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:36 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

thanks both of you!

(haven't quite figured out what RTFM means yet, but i hope you manage to stay cool).

oooh... rtfm. well, i did and didn't understand, which is why i am here. naturally.

nice to see you've not changed

Last edited by tortoise; Apr 28th 2008 at 1:38 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Not bad advice. Much nicer than the RTFM I was thinking of. Forgive, we are in a early heat wave. Fire Season is over five months away but they have started already.

[BTW, our neighborhood fire last May 9th removed all the local "fuel load" so we are OK for a few years.].
My forgiving will have to be in my imagination.. Hear me now and believe me later, it actually snowed in temperate Deportland last weekend. Yesterday was about 73 though, so very nice.
I am beyond ready for "hot".

Fingers def. crossed for you all this year. I wonder if there are any wild blueberries in your neighborhood? They are supposed to come back really well after a fire.

PS: was it really 'advice'? I'm trying to be a lot less 'should' in my life in general, maaaan.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:39 pm

thanks both of you!

(haven't quite figured out what RTFM means yet, but i hope you manage to stay cool).
lol, google is your friend.
I always liked MrF's "UTFL" substitute.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:42 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

i'm sorry - i was under the impression that this was a message board to help people with their marriage based visas.

i remember getting a lot of help here a few years ago.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
lol, google is your friend.
I always liked MrF's "UTFL" substitute.
Hi:

Actually -- "UTSL" which is a parody of UTFL. I guess I've gotten more ornery as I have gotten older.

And, yes, it was "advice" -- but not objectionable in any way as far as I am concerned. If it was objectionable, I would either note it or keep my mouth [e.g. keyboard] shut.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

i'm sorry - i was under the impression that this was a message board to help people with their marriage based visas.

Hi:

That it was and still is.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi tortoise! I remember you. meauxna got it right in her post.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And you still will. Back in the days you and I removed conditions via the I-751, after it was approved we went to the district office and turned in our old card and were given the I-89 on which we placed a fingerprint and they attached our photo and sent it off to be made into the green card.

Today you pay for what is called "biometrics" on top of the I-751 fee. Once the I-751 is received you get the notice of action (I-797) and a bit later a notice to go for biometrics. The biometrics is where you give your fingerprint and they take your picture and it will all be used to manufacture the green card when the I-751 is approved.

Has gotten a bit simplier

As for the affidavits they were always listed on the I-751 instruction sheet but it is not mandatory. Some people send them in and others don't. Normally you send them in if you have very little evidence of the continuity of your marriage.

Hope that helps.

RTFM = read the freaking manual

UTSL/UTFL = got me??????

Last edited by Rete; Apr 28th 2008 at 2:05 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:04 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

Actually -- "UTSL" which is a parody of UTFL
i like the warcraft reference better

and hi noorah!

forgive me everyone - i have pregnancy hormones raging around my body lol. i'm a tad snappy.

rete - pefect. thank you very much! i shall relay that.

Last edited by tortoise; Apr 28th 2008 at 2:05 pm. Reason: adding to post
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the pending addition. This is the year of the baby. Lots of pregnant ladies on the BE site. I'm going to a grandma again twice this year. Once in August and again in September. When are you due?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete

RTFM = read the freaking manual

UTSL/UTFL = got me??????
Hi:

UTSL was considered a more polite form of RTFM -- "Use The Source Luke." The idea was to cause a vision of Sir Alec Guinnes as Obi-Wan Kenobi as a kind and gentle advisor.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:37 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally Posted by Rete
Congratulations on the pending addition. This is the year of the baby. Lots of pregnant ladies on the BE site. I'm going to a grandma again twice this year. Once in August and again in September. When are you due?
thank you i am due november, so a way off... it's still early days (my poor, poor husband).

congrats on being a grandma again! this is the first grandbaby for my mum from me. of course now i am going to have to get a webcam so that she can see us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.