Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 Checklist and Questions

I-751 Checklist and Questions

Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I-751 Checklist and Questions

Thanks for starting this thread, I just got my reminder letter about filing my I-751. They sent it to my old address although I'm pretty sure that I changed my address online when I moved. I guess they will mail everything back to the address that I put on the I-751 anyway.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Thanks for starting this thread, I just got my reminder letter about filing my I-751. They sent it to my old address although I'm pretty sure that I changed my address online when I moved. I guess they will mail everything back to the address that I put on the I-751 anyway.
Correct.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Just wanted to stop by and update my progress. I had my biometrics appointment yesterday, and I discovered that it is definitely better to get the early morning appointments. Last time I went I was there 2 hours waiting (12.30 appointment time), but this time I was in and out in ten minutes - my appointment time was at 9.00am. I didnt even have time to open my book and read a sentence!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ja5on
They sent my notification to my old address too although I HAD notified them as required when we moved......a year ago!!!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimandtina2008
They sent my notification to my old address too although I HAD notified them as required when we moved......a year ago!!!
The same thing happened to me too. We moved a year ago, I filed the AR-11 online but my reminder letter for my two-year green card expiring still went to our old address.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
The same thing happened to me too. We moved a year ago, I filed the AR-11 online but my reminder letter for my two-year green card expiring still went to our old address.
Y'all understand, don't you, that the AR-11 is a reporting requirement only? No one actually sits at a computer and updates your records. There is a whole separate process for changing/updating your mailing address with USCIS.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Y'all understand, don't you, that the AR-11 is a reporting requirement only? No one actually sits at a computer and updates your records. There is a whole separate process for changing/updating your mailing address with USCIS.

Ian
Then why does the USCIS give the option of filling out the AR-11 online or mailing it to them? Obviously, we don't understand that it's a reporting requirement only and that no one updates our records - otherwise we wouldn't have been surprised when the USCIS hadn't changed our address details. You must know something that we don't, so feel free to share that with us.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Then why does the USCIS give the option of filling out the AR-11 online or mailing it to them?
They give you the option because it doesn't matter how you complete the form. It doesn't matter because it results in no updates to your applications. Should it update everything in one fell swoop? Yes, certainly... but it doesn't.

You must know something that we don't, so feel free to share that with us.
Rene is probably better able to provide the answer to this, but it involves directly contacting the Consulate or Service Center, phone calls to the (un)help line, etc.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Rene is probably better able to provide the answer to this, but it involves directly contacting the Consulate or Service Center, phone calls to the (un)help line, etc.

Ian
Here you go: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...29&postcount=6

Rene
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:30 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any pending or recently completed cases with USCIS, you need to do more than simply file an AR-11. AR-11 does not interact with existing or past cases filed with USCIS.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Regards, JEff

Then why does the USCIS give the option of filling out the AR-11 online or mailing it to them? Obviously, we don't understand that it's a reporting requirement only and that no one updates our records - otherwise we wouldn't have been surprised when the USCIS hadn't changed our address details. You must know something that we don't, so feel free to share that with us.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Aug 6th 2012 at 3:34 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
If you have any pending or recently completed cases with USCIS, you need to do more than simply file an AR-11. AR-11 does not interact with existing or past cases filed with USCIS.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Regards, JEff
I didn't have any pending or recent cases so the first option in your link was the option for me - "Have no pending cases". I was surprised that although it is a requirement to file new address details with USCIS, that information is not updated. It's the USCIS so I shouldn't have been surprised
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You had a recently completed case.

Let's not debate the meaning of the word "recent". Your adjustment of status case was the most recent case, and that is also the case upon which the reminder to remove conditions was based so that where the address came from that was used for the reminder to remove conditions.

USCIS, and the INS before it, has always been clear that form AR-11 is not used to update case files - that is not the function of AR-11.

Regards, JEff

I didn't have any pending or recent cases so the first option in your link was the option for me - "Have no pending cases". I was surprised that although it is a requirement to file new address details with USCIS, that information is not updated. It's the USCIS so I shouldn't have been surprised
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Good Afternoon All,

I wanted to check in and see if I was overreacting to something - or if I need to chase something down with USCIS.

I filed my I751 back in June (within the 90 day expiration window of my current GC), and recived my I797 in the mail with a receipt date of 06/19/2012. This says my conditional resident stauts is extended for a period of one year. Is this one year from the date on my GC, or the date of receipt? (There is no other date listed on the I751).

Secondly, I have had my biometrics appt. I went to log in and check the status of my case at USCIS.gov and it told me that "Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status". I tried calling the 1-800 number but have become frustrated in going in circles and not getting through to a real person.

Is this something I should be concerned about since I already had my biometrics appt, or is there a need for me to call the help line again and mash the keys until I eventually get through to a person.

Forgive me if this is just me freaking out, but I am concerned that something may have happened to my application. Anyone else experienced the same issues?

Last edited by ajmstevenson; Aug 14th 2012 at 4:54 pm. Reason: wrong reference to receipt
Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
Is this one year from the date on my GC, or the date of receipt? (There is no other date listed on the I751).
One year from the date on your GC.

Is this something I should be concerned about....
Not at all.

is there a need for me to call the help line again and mash the keys until I eventually get through to a person.
No. No need for that.

Anyone else experienced the same issues?
The I-751 applications are the lowest ones on the USCIS list of priorities, because you remain a PR until it's adjudicated. You can even still apply for US Citizenship when you're eligible, even if the I-751 is not yet adjudicated.

It's common to hear nothing at all after the biometrics, until one day you get approved and your 10-year card shows up in the mail. If you have signed up for the email alerts, you might get an email saying you're approved.

You can expect it to take at least 7 months or more for approval.

Rene
Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rene,

Thanks for the speedy and helpful response, as ever. I have not yet *knock on wood* experienced any major issues through this whole process, save having to have two physicals.

I would like to sign up to email alerts, but since it states it cant find my Case Number at this time I guess that would be somewhat difficult to do.

7 months or more....sheesh. Looks like I have a fun trip to the DMV to see if I can get my drivers licence extended. GA just changed all their documentation requirements and so wait times have gone way up.....better take a good book with me!

Thanks,

Alex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.