Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751... biometric letter received, but no NOA and application redirected to VSC!

Wikiposts

I-751... biometric letter received, but no NOA and application redirected to VSC!

Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:05 am
Just Joined

SpecG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-751... biometric letter received, but no NOA and application redirected to VSC!

Hi folks,

First post, thanks for all the great info thus far!

Just wondering if anyone could help... my wife and I jointly filed my I-751 a couple of weeks before my 2-year GC expired on 2/8/08 (bit last minute I know!). Unfortunately it was sent back because I enclosed the wrong fee. Schoolboy error I know, but I was misinformed by another site and didn't realise I needed biometrics!

Anyway I sent it back straight away with the right fee - the 1-800 guy said it would be fine as I originally filed before the expiration of the GC and that I should just enclose a copy of the wrong fee notice letter. USCIS had taken out all my tabs so per advice I just sent it back as I received it.

So now I have just received (3/11/2008) my biometrics appointment letter for 4/1/08, but have not yet received my 1-year extension NOA letter. Seems from posts that this usually precedes the biometrics appointment letter... has my NOA extension gone missing?

Also logged on to USCIS and looked up the application number on the biometrics letter and found this (I'm in Florida so originally sent the application to TSC):

Application Type: CRI89, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED

Current Status: This case has been sent to another office for processing because it has jurisdiction over the case.

On March 7, 2008, we transferred this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED to our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case. We sent you a notice of this transfer. Please follow any instructions on this notice. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. This case has been sent to our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Does anyone know what's going on here?! Or how long it might take to get the year's extension or the 10-year card? Last but not least, what are the chances of my wife and I having to go for an interview (our I-751 was pretty robust with lots of joint stuff)?

Any help would be gratefully received! Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Gavin

Last edited by SpecG; Mar 16th 2008 at 6:30 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751... biometric letter received, but no NOA and application redirected to VSC!

While you are correct that the NOA comes normally before the biometrics appointment letter, it might be that since your application has been transferred to another service center, they might 1) be late with sending the NOA or 2) might not send one at all thinking TSC did. You might want to make an Infopass appointment for your district office and bring your passport with you for an I-551 stamp. Bring the notice and e-mail printout.

Due to backlogs, some petitions are being farmed out to less business service centers to handle. Nothing to worry about. Others have had theirs sent to Vermont in the recent past as well.

Originally Posted by SpecG
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone could help... my wife and I jointly filed my I-751 a couple of weeks before my 2-year GC expired on 2/8/08 (bit last minute I know!). Unfortunately it was sent back because I enclosed the wrong fee. Schoolboy error I know, but I was misinformed by another site and didn't realise I needed biometrics!

Anyway I sent it back straight away with the right fee - the 1-800 guy said it would be fine as I originally filed before the expiration of the GC and that I should just enclose a copy of the wrong fee notice letter. USCIS had taken out all my tabs so per advice I just sent it back as I received it.

So now I have just received (3/11/2008) my biometrics appointment letter for 4/1/08, but have not yet received my 1-year extension NOA letter. Seems from posts that this usually precedes the biometrics appointment letter... has my NOA extension gone missing?

Also logged on to USCIS and looked up the application number on the biometrics letter and found this (I'm in Florida so originally sent the application to TSC):

Application Type: CRI89, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED

Current Status: This case has been sent to another office for processing because it has jurisdiction over the case.

On March 7, 2008, we transferred this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED to our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case. We sent you a notice of this transfer. Please follow any instructions on this notice. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. This case has been sent to our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Does anyone know what's going on here?! Or how long it might take to get the year's extension or the 10-year card? Last but not least, what are the chances of my wife and I having to go for an interview (our I-751 was pretty robust with lots of joint stuff)?

Best regards,
Gavin
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-751... biometric letter received, but no NOA and application redirected to VSC!

Does anyone know what's going on here?! Or how long it might take to get the year's extension or the 10-year card? L
Nope, what *have* you done, Gavin?

It's possible that you may not get an extension/NOA/receipt letter. Since you know that your case has been received, is in the system AND you're proceeding on to biometrics, you do know that your I-751 was filed (late with a good reason) and so, your status should be extended by one year while they sort you out.

If you need/want proof of status, do as Rete suggests and try to get an I-551 stamp at your District Office.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:15 am
Just Joined

James W is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

Best regards,
Gavin
All I-751s sent to TSC from about December 1, 2007 through the end of February 2008 were immediately transferred from TSC to VSC. Prior to that, since about July 1, 2007, they had been being transferred to CSC.

VSC is slower than CSC, unfortunately -- it had been running at about 6 months on average from NOA1 date to approval. It might get even slower because at the end of last month, TSC transferred to VSC about four months worth of I-751 petitions from February to June of 2007 that it had been sitting on.

In any event, I would not expect to be approved before September at the very earliest, and possibly not even before the end of the year.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:42 am
Just Joined

polsmt is an unknown quantity at this point

To ease your worry or not, I am in the same boat although I was not transferred. I had filed and did the same error with the check amount as you, so sent the new check filed 9/07 and biomentrics on 10/07 so far still waiting and no NOA. Case status is recieved and pending so who knows this thing is very stressful......

Last edited by polsmt; Apr 7th 2008 at 2:49 am.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:49 am
Just Joined

polsmt is an unknown quantity at this point

Update - got by NOA this weekend 4/12/08 so pretty speedy there!!!

filed 9/07
biomentrics 10/07
NOA 4/08!!

still a relief to get something!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

VJ2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i am also in the same boat
I sent in my I-751 in first week of sept, on check cashed on 9/14/07, got NOA on 09/27/07 and finished biometrics 11/3/07.
Status now: still waiting.
Files at VSC.
Strange things happend: In early April 2008 i got a duplicate copy of 1 year extension in mail, I dont know why did they sent me a duplicate, i got my original back in Sept 2007.

My friend filled I751 at VSC in Aug first week 2007 and he got his 10 year GC on 03/04/2008. Very fast for him..(No interview also)

every one is not that lucky... and i am wondering if VSC is working on March 07 files (info from USCIS website) how did my freind get his GC when he applied in Aug 07.
I guess they dont work on case in order of when they were recieved.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VJ2007
I think they try to work on them in order, but there's no telling what can happen to make things get out of order. Some cases get delayed, some get transferred, some sit on the shelf before someone remembers it's there, who knows. You can never really compare someone else's case to your own.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VJ2007
Or, some cases take more time to adjudicate than others, so they skip past the ones they are still on and move forward.

There have been major transfers out of Nebraska and Texas too; those cases have to be added in.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:14 am
Just Joined

SpecG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the responses. Thought I'd post an update on the VSC I-751 petition.

I followed Rete's suggestion to book an infopass appointment to get my passport stamped. All went smoothly - thanks Rete and Meauxna!

Today, however, I received an odd email from USCIS :

Application Type: CRI89 , PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED

Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

The CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED was transferred and is now pending standard processing at a USCIS office. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done, counting from when USCIS received it. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. To receive e-mail updates, follow the link below to register.

So it's been 4 months since I filed the I-751 and is only now pending 'standard processing'. Looking at the USCIS processing times, it is taking 12.5 months (05.15.07-06.01.08) to process I-751s. So 8.5 months to go! Grr... Though it seems some people are getting approved faster... (saw one was approved in 5 months at another SC, when it says 9 months processing time) I have no clue what to expect time-wise. I guess another 4 months best case, another 9 months worst case! Any ideas folks?

If anyone has received similar messages to the above, please let me know. Many thanks.

Confused,
Gavin
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:00 pm

Interestingly, this was just posted to USCIS today
Thank you sukie!

USCIS direct link

USCIS Clarifies Language in Form I-751 Transfer Notices Sent to Petitioners
Current Notice May Be Interpreted as USCIS Granting Approval for Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

WASHINGTON—U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced today it will revise language in transfer notices received by petitioners who filed a Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (Form I-751). The current notice includes language that may cause petitioners to believe their cases have been approved.

USCIS announced last month that it is revising filing instructions for Form I-751 to require filing at the California or Vermont Service Centers. Until the form instructions are revised, any petitions filed with the Nebraska and Texas Service Centers will be transferred to California and Vermont, respectively.
When USCIS enters data at one service center and later transfers the case to another, a Transfer Notice is sent to the petitioner advising him or her that the case has been transferred for adjudication and that they will be notified of the final decision.

The current transfer notice currently contains the following phrase: “CRI89 approved removal of conditions (I89).” That statement means that the biometric portion of the case has been successfully transferred; it does not, however, mean that the petition itself was approved.

While USCIS is in the process of changing the language in the transfer notice, a substantial number of notices have already been mailed containing the potentially confusing statement. Any petitioner who may have received such a notice should be aware of the following:

• At the time the I-751 was transferred, USCIS had not yet adjudicated (approved or denied) the case;
• USCIS transferred the case to the Service Center listed on the notice for adjudication; and
• If the petitioner has not received additional information from the California or Vermont Service Centers, USCIS has not yet adjudicated the case.

Petitioners who have a specific question related to their I-751 petition should contact the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 for more information.
– USCIS –

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 6th 2008 at 10:02 am. Reason: change to USCIS linky
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:05 am
Just Joined

nm_gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I am on the same boat, I got my biometrics appt for this coming Saturday and never got an NOA with an extension. My case online says that they received my paperwork and that the case is pending (July 18th) the biometrics got mailed 7/25. I already scheduled an infopass for Friday. how hard will it be to get my passport stamped?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nm_gal
Hi everyone, I am on the same boat, I got my biometrics appt for this coming Saturday and never got an NOA with an extension. My case online says that they received my paperwork and that the case is pending (July 18th) the biometrics got mailed 7/25. I already scheduled an infopass for Friday. how hard will it be to get my passport stamped?
I would make the Infopass appointment for after your Biometics date. When you go to the Infopass appointment, bring your passport and your proof of biometrics to the appointment. Hopefully they will give you a stamp, although some offices do not, if you have no need for one (for example, immediate travel plans).

Rene