Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-751 - are affidavits really necessary?

Wikiposts

I-751 - are affidavits really necessary?

Old Dec 8th 2001, 2:58 am
Cf

Hi All, When I read the directions for the I-751 form, my interpretation is that you
can send in any evidence that shows you're still married - bills, mortgage, tax
returns etc. Aren't affidavits just another *example* of evidence you can submit? I
was ready to send off everything and then started reading posts in the NG - now I'm
worried that affidavits are *required* though that's not the way I read it initially.

I have no worries that we won't get the condition removed since we are completely
bona fide (as most people are - what will happen if we don't get affidavits?

Thanks for any replies/advice! Cliona

Old Dec 8th 2001, 3:07 am
Don'T Tell Me

They are not required just another example of evidence you can use.

Cookiewm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 8th 2001, 3:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't a matter of getting the conditions removed, per se, but a matter of not having to incur another interview at the local INS office.

I've gleamed from the few I-751 posts here and they are starting to add up, that those who sent in letters from friends and family attesting to knowing the couple as a bona fide couple were approved without interviews.

We will be doing the removal in May, 2002 and plan on sending those same letters with our application. Anything we could do to avoid dealing with NYC INS we will do gladly.

Rita
Old Dec 9th 2001, 4:16 am
Jonathan_atc

The way the I-751 is written, it sort of sounds like the affidavits are = optional.
If you want to get through without an interview, I suggest = you include the
affidavits.

The fact that it is written "affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least = two
people" would lead one to believe it is mandatory. They would not = stipulate "at
least two people" if they did not intend for you to = include such evidence. =20

Kind of like when people read the I-129F instructions which CLEARLY = state that you
don't need all evidence, yet people insist on including a = bank letter and tax
returns although not self employed. This is kind of = the opposite of that.

Believe me, they want ALL that they ask for and nothing more, nothing = less.
Regardless of your interpretation of the wording, it really does = mean include all
evidence asked for if it is possible. Of course, if = you can't get some of the
items, you take a chance of not being approved = or having to have an interview. It
is very clear what they want. Now = just hop to it and provide.

>
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >