I-751 (2007 Only)

Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

JoySisey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-751 (2007 Only)

Originally Posted by meauxna
ok, now I see that passport is *not* expired.

But, he didn't file I-751 before the Green Card expired? If it's just the *stamp* in the passport that has expired, that is fine--it is meant to be temporary.

You've got what you need---go to InfoPass and get a new I-551 stamp.
This is his proof of status.
File I-751 on time.
Sounds like a plan.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoySisey
His green card expires 12/1/07. Which means that we can file within 90 days of this expiration date. Due to the horrific change in fees for the I751 and the recent loss of his green card (we do have a photo copy of it), we decided to present the I751 anyway with a note of apology for our early submission and the reason why.
I highly suggest NOT filing the I-751 early. I will get rejected. If you've already filed the I-751 early, let's hope they don't keep the fee.

Your best bet is going to the USCIS appt tomorrow and getting a new interim I-551 stamp to show DMV.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I highly suggest NOT filing the I-751 early. I will get rejected. If you've already filed the I-751 early, let's hope they don't keep the fee.

Your best bet is going to the USCIS appt tomorrow and getting a new interim I-551 stamp to show DMV.

Rene
Gotcha! Thank you for all of your insight. It's been very helpful. Will let you guys know tomorrow what happens. Glad to know you guys are out there and appreciate all of your support. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

By the way, I love your website. Your pictures are beautiful.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha! Thank you for all of your insight. It's been very helpful. Will let you guys know tomorrow what happens. Glad to know you guys are out there and appreciate all of your support. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

By the way, I love your website. Your pictures are beautiful.
Thank you for taking a look, I appreciate the nice comment. Keep us posted on your outcome tomorrow.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, this is giving me a headache....LOl
You too? lol

I don't think an early submission of I-751 "to beat the fee increase" is going to fly. The law is specific on when you are allowed to file.
Even fee increase + lost card isn't a reason either, but if you don't play, you won't win, so it is up to you two.

You'd better take evidence of the I-90 filing and the I-751 filing (or evidence that you be filing) to that appointment.. not all DOs are happy to give out that I-551 stamp. Emphasize the lost card to strengthen that point.

You may not get a 12-month I-551 stamp out of them if you do get one, btw. DMV will likely make the DL valid only for the period of the I-551 stamp, so expect to be back with them within the year.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

You too? lol

I don't think an early submission of I-751 "to beat the fee increase" is going to fly. The law is specific on when you are allowed to file.
Even fee increase + lost card isn't a reason either, but if you don't play, you won't win, so it is up to you two.

You'd better take evidence of the I-90 filing and the I-751 filing (or evidence that you be filing) to that appointment.. not all DOs are happy to give out that I-551 stamp. Emphasize the lost card to strengthen that point.

You may not get a 12-month I-551 stamp out of them if you do get one, btw. DMV will likely make the DL valid only for the period of the I-551 stamp, so expect to be back with them within the year.
I've contacted the DMV again just now and all they want is an I-94. By the way...what is a DO?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:06 pm

I've contacted the DMV again just now and all they want is an I-94. By the way...what is a DO?
DO = district office.

Even though all they want is an I-94, the I-94 is not an applicable document for a Permanent Resident. Hopefully they can stamp a new I-551 onto an I-94 for you tomorrow. As meauxna said, be prepared for it to only be a 90-day stamp or so.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

DO = district office.

Even though all they want is an I-94, the I-94 is not an applicable document for a Permanent Resident. Hopefully they can stamp a new I-551 onto an I-94 for you tomorrow. As meauxna said, be prepared for it to only be a 90-day stamp or so.

Rene
Ok
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

DO = district office.

Rene
bahhhh.. what have I missed now? What is this with the I-94---doesn't *this* guy have a valid passport?
DMV is just confusing her.. if he is a PR, with a valid passport, there isn't going to be any I-94. DMV will/should accept the I-551 stamp IN the valid passort.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

bahhhh.. what have I missed now? What is this with the I-94---doesn't *this* guy have a valid passport?
DMV is just confusing her.. if he is a PR, with a valid passport, there isn't going to be any I-94. DMV will/should accept the I-551 stamp IN the valid passort.
LOL...That's for your reply.... Should they accept it even if the I-551 expired last month. Remember - he's a conditional resident. Permanent resident implies that his I751 has been approved and that his conditional status has been changed to Permanent. Right. We arent due to file the I751 til September of this year (which is 3 months before the 2 anniversary date).
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:02 pm

Should they accept it even if the I-551 expired last month.
No, DMV isn't likely to accept it with the expired I-551 and no current green card. That's why you're going in tomorrow to get a new I-551, so you'll have it to show DMV.

Remember - he's a conditional resident. Permanent resident implies that his I751 has been approved and that his conditional status has been changed to Permanent.
This isn't true. The term "Permanent Resident" applies to both Conditional and Unconditional PRs.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:09 pm

LOL...That's for your reply.... Should they accept it even if the I-551 expired last month. Remember - he's a conditional resident. Permanent resident implies that his I751 has been approved and that his conditional status has been changed to Permanent. Right. We arent due to file the I751 til September of this year (which is 3 months before the 2 anniversary date).
Look, I-551 is BOTH the name of the 'temporary evidence' stamp that is put in a passport AND the "Green Card". I can't always tell what you are talking about.

If a stamp is expired, it is NO LONGER proof of Permanent Resident status.

A "conditional" Permanent Resident IS a Legal Permanent Resident. They are one and the same for all intents and purposes. "Permanent Resident" does not imply that the I-751 has been approved--it is the name for what he is from the day he was approved/admitted. I'd normally direct you to look at the "Green Card" itself, buuut...

The DMV will NOT accept an expired stamp, or expired Green Card as evidence of being in status.
Suggest husband try filing his I-90 for replacement card AT the InfoPass appointment AND asking them as nicely as possible for a NEW I-551 stamp in his passport so he has current proof of his status. Then, take the passport (with STAMP) to the DMV for a replacement licence. Which will probably only be good for as long as his status is good. IE, the whole mess expires Dec 1.

Then file I-751 on time and pray god you get the letter. If that stamp AND the licence expires on Dec 1, and he doesn't yet have a new Green Card (very unlikely that he will), he's going to have to go do the whole thing again.

Bad time to lose the wallet.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Look, I-551 is BOTH the name of the 'temporary evidence' stamp that is put in a passport AND the "Green Card". I can't always tell what you are talking about.

If a stamp is expired, it is NO LONGER proof of Permanent Resident status.

A "conditional" Permanent Resident IS a Legal Permanent Resident. They are one and the same for all intents and purposes. "Permanent Resident" does not imply that the I-751 has been approved--it is the name for what he is from the day he was approved/admitted. I'd normally direct you to look at the "Green Card" itself, buuut...

The DMV will NOT accept an expired stamp, or expired Green Card as evidence of being in status.
Suggest husband try filing his I-90 for replacement card AT the InfoPass appointment AND asking them as nicely as possible for a NEW I-551 stamp in his passport so he has current proof of his status. Then, take the passport (with STAMP) to the DMV for a replacement licence. Which will probably only be good for as long as his status is good. IE, the whole mess expires Dec 1.

Then file I-751 on time and pray god you get the letter. If that stamp AND the licence expires on Dec 1, and he doesn't yet have a new Green Card (very unlikely that he will), he's going to have to go do the whole thing again.

Bad time to lose the wallet.
Thank you for your comments, however, as you can see, Rene, I and others, have come to the same conclusions noted in other posts that the goal will be as you suggested. Thanks though.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your comments, however, as you can see, Rene, I and others, have come to the same conclusions noted in other posts that the goal will be as you suggested. Thanks though.
Cant wait to report the outcome tomorrow!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

devilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to alldevilishgrin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler
Renew the passport?

I don't know if this is a reply to my situation or the one above but just in case.... We are in the process of renewing the passport however it will take a min of 4 weeks to get this from the british consulate in the meantime all we can do is pray the notice of action arrives!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.