British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-485 sent to National Benefits Center (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-485-sent-national-benefits-center-919311/)

Jasskatten Nov 15th 2018 10:54 am

I-485 sent to National Benefits Center

Hi,

I recently submitted my I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131 AOS package to the Chicago lockbox. I got my notice receipts (I-797C) back on October 2nd, and I have done my biometrics appointment now.

However, all of my notice of receipts are from National Benefits Center, but checking USCIS processing time website, it seems like NBC doesn't handle I-485's or I-130's? Is this normal? Should I be expecting a notice that they are forwarding my applications? Even after excessive googling I haven't found an answer:)

Noorah101 Nov 15th 2018 11:15 am

Re: I-485 sent to National Benefits Center

Yes, this is normal. Eventually the I-485 will go to a regional center add then your local office. You may our may not get a notice.

Rene

Jasskatten Nov 15th 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks Rene!

Does this mean that the I-765 and I-131 will be processed in National Benefits Center, or is there a possibility they will also be sent to a service center? Do all AOS application get sent to NBC before they get distributed to service centers? I am curious, since the timelines for L1 to Green card through marriage AOS I have found on British Expats never includes any dates about the application being transferred between centers.

I am also curious since my company is selling my line of business (announced a couple of weeks after I sent in my AOS), so it would be much easier for me if my EAD came sooner than later, so I don't have to bother with either updating my L1 application or expediting the EAD for personal hardship , if that is even possible. :)

Noorah101 Nov 15th 2018 2:17 pm

The.EAD and AP get processed at NBC, and are currently taking around 100 days to process.

The I-485 and I-130 eventually go to a service center and then to your local office for the in person interview (if there is one).

Try looking at AOS from K-1 visa threads. The process is the same (except they don't need the I-130).

Rene

Jack8602 Nov 15th 2018 2:51 pm

I sent my AOS to the Chicago lockbox back in May 2017, i got zero notifications about it being transferred anywhere, so it's normal. I have my interview next Monday, that's the only notification that i got that it had progressed.

Jasskatten Nov 15th 2018 4:17 pm

Congrats Jack on finally getting to the interview! And thanks for the help!

Just wondering/checking, were the Notice of receipt (I-797C) for I-485 sent from National Benefits Center for you too?

Rete Nov 15th 2018 4:24 pm

Sorry that you had difficulty with your excessive google search. A 45 second search and here you go right from USCIS

https://www.uscis.gov/archive/blog/2...what-it-is-and

Jasskatten Nov 15th 2018 4:32 pm

Thank you Rete! Just what I was looking for.

Rete Nov 15th 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jasskatten (Post 12594105)
Thank you Rete! Just what I was looking for.

Also good to know and note is that Lee's Summit, MO is also one of the main holding centers for the USCIS. There are several 'holding tanks' around the US. All immigrant paperwork and files are stored in hard copy and I'm sure that they are also now stored electronically. In Lee's Summit is one of the country's largest salt mines. This is where immigrant's paperwork/files are stored not only after naturalization but also when an immigrant, such as yourself, is between petitions. When NBC has gone through your petitions for I-485, I-131 and I-765 (and I-130 if applicable) for correctness, they send them to the appropriate field office/service center for further processing. I-131 and I-765 are petitions that are worked on immediately, so they are not stored but after reviewed are sent out for final processing. While this is happening, NBC checks to see how the field office you are going to be dealing with stands in regards to case work loads. If they are behind in adjudicating cases, i.e. taking 6 to 12 months to schedule an interview for the I-485, the file is sent for filing at the salt mine in Lee's Summit. When the field office is ready to take on new cases, they, in turn, will contact the NBC and ask for the next load of petitions. NBC places an order for the files to be unearthed and shipped to the field office. This is also the case with I-751s for the removal of conditions.

How do I know this? When my husband adjusted status 20 years ago, Lee's Summit misplaced part of our file and our I-485 could not get final approval until the missing file was found, sent to NYC and reviewed. This took months. Our caseworker was kind enough to describe the above to us and it was helpful to know just what was happending.

Jasskatten Nov 15th 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks Rete!

That story is both reassuring and troubling :) Reassuring that my applications are in the right place, nerve wracking that they might disappear in a salt mine :lol: