British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-485 interview "scheduled" 2 months after forms submitted...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-485-interview-scheduled-2-months-after-forms-submitted-920116/)

Aquapanther Dec 12th 2018 3:57 am

I-485 interview "scheduled" 2 months after forms submitted......

...is that timing normal?
I don't have the posted notification yet so I don't know the actual date of the interview, but is it likely to be soon?
Is the interview the final part of the puzzle, and then the card received not long after (assuming we pass the interview)?

I should add that I'm adjusting status from L1a to LPR and I'm in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marr...es-etc-917674/)

michaelr711 Dec 12th 2018 5:08 am

Re: I-485 interview "scheduled" 2 months after forms submitted......

My F1 to LPR process took 4 months from submitting I-485 to finish - and interview was 3 months so not crazy unrealistic. You must be one of the lucky ones!

tom169 Dec 12th 2018 10:24 am

All the case times are unique. I'd expect the interview to be early next year. Good luck.

Rete Dec 12th 2018 12:35 pm

Congratulations. This hasn't happened in a while but good to know that some field offices are getting cleared of back cases and working as they once were.

Jack8602 Dec 12th 2018 2:10 pm

I'm jealous, mine took 18 months! L1B to PR

The interview date is usually around a month after receiving notice in the mail.

If approved on that day, your green card is usually within a week to 10 days, mine arrived exactly a week after getting the nod

Aquapanther Dec 12th 2018 2:12 pm

I’m determined not to get excited before the letter arrives with the interview date, but it certainly sounds good news!!!

I take it the AP and EAD no longer matter if we pass the interview and get the GC?
what about the I-130 case? Does it still need to get approved before everything is finalised?

tom169 Dec 12th 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aquapanther (Post 12607881)
I’m determined not to get excited before the letter arrives with the interview date, but it certainly sounds good news!!!

I take it the AP and EAD no longer matter if we pass the interview and get the GC?
what about the I-140 case? Does it still need to get approved before everything is finalised?

AP/EAD would be void. Benefits received by other means... Aka your permanent residency.

Not sure about i-140
​​​​

Aquapanther Dec 12th 2018 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12607888)
AP/EAD would be void. Benefits received by other means... Aka your permanent residency.

Not sure about i-140
​​​​

Thank you.
I meant the I-130 sorry!

Rete Dec 12th 2018 3:48 pm

They are ajudicated together at the time of the interview

Aquapanther Dec 12th 2018 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12607916)
They are ajudicated together at the time of the interview

Excellent. Thanks again Rete!

Jack8602 Dec 12th 2018 4:48 pm

Your i130 approval will follow after the i485.

My i130 updated about a week after i485 approval

Now's a good time to start gathering all your documents to take to the interview. I went out and bought a binder with plastic inserts and labelled each section. e.g. marriage cert, tax returns, photos, bank statements etc. It's surprising how long it takes to get everything together!

Rete Dec 12th 2018 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jack8602 (Post 12607944)
Your i130 approval will follow after the i485.

My i130 updated about a week after i485 approval

Now's a good time to start gathering all your documents to take to the interview. I went out and bought a binder with plastic inserts and labelled each section. e.g. marriage cert, tax returns, photos, bank statements etc. It's surprising how long it takes to get everything together!

Then yours differs from the usual. Normally, the petitions stay together and the interviewing agent will adjudicate both at the same time or perhaps the computer tech was delayed in updating your online records. The I-485 cannot be approved until the I-130 is approved.

We didn't use plastic inserts but rather labeled file folders inserted into a redweld. I was a legal assistant and paralegal, plastic inserts were a no-no in the profession. Too cumbersome to deal with when needing documents quickly hence the reason why I used my method. Whatever method works for you is the way to go.

Just a side note, you didn't adjust status from an L position. That may have been the visa that allowed to come to the US to live and work but you adjusted status based on your subsequent marriage and petition by a US Citizen spouse.