I-485 Form advice

Old Dec 4th 2018, 5:24 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-485 Form advice

Hi we are starting my adjustment of status on a K1 Visa. On filling out the I-485 form question 16. asks - "Travel Document used at Last Arrival"
and also question 19. "Nonimigrant Visa Number from this passport (if any)"

I was wondering if anyone had an idea where these numbers, if any, maybe located? I believe one is the red number in the right hand corner of the visa which is attached in the passport.

Thanks in advance '
Old Dec 4th 2018, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-485 Form advice

You're correct, the visa number should be on your printed K1 in the bottom right in red. The travel document used would just be "K1 Visa" I believe.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 8:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The BE wiki is your friend:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Adjus...-3_Spouse_Visa

Clearly states the visa number is obsolete and you should use the number in red or the control number.

You might want to earmark that link for use while filling out the I-485 and I-864.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jasskatten is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
You're correct, the visa number should be on your printed K1 in the bottom right in red. The travel document used would just be "K1 Visa" I believe.
I think the travel document question is for people who have not used a passport to enter, but another type of travel document (e.g refugee travel document or NEXUS card according to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel...avel_documents ). If you used a passport to enter USA then the answer to the question of the travel document number is N/A since you used a passport as far as I understand.

The form refers to passport or travel document, making it clear you can't have both (i.e question 18 asks you to fill in "Country that issued this Passport or Travel Document")
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:16 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

On the BE Wiki it mentions a G-325A, clicking on the link it takes you to a web page that is no longer there... I Googled it and found a link to USCIS which it says 'G-325A, Biographic Information (for Deferred Action)'. Can anyone shed light on this as I haven't heard of this form.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The G-325A is also obsolete. It was actually a biographical form. It was replaced by the I-130A for those who were doing I-130's.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jasskatten
I think the travel document question is for people who have not used a passport to enter, but another type of travel document (e.g refugee travel document or NEXUS card according to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel...avel_documents ). If you used a passport to enter USA then the answer to the question of the travel document number is N/A since you used a passport as far as I understand.

The form refers to passport or travel document, making it clear you can't have both (i.e question 18 asks you to fill in "Country that issued this Passport or Travel Document")
It is no foul/no harm. The K-1 was/is actually a travel document in many ways at it is what allowed the recipient to enter the US without use of the VWP or a B visa.

Listing it on the form will do no damage nor cause an RFE.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:15 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Hi folks, was wondering if I could have a little bit more advice, form filling meltdown in motion and getting a little confused with all the conflicting data and what I hear from different sources.

Firstly, where it asks for documentation evidence to be included for the I-485, it says to provide...
  • Copy of your government-issued identity document with photograph;
Obviously at this moment I have no US ID so would this be a UK driving license perhaps?

Also, I was wondering about the forms I-765 Employment Authorization, and forms I-131 Advance parole, these being sent with the I-485 will not need an additional fee I believe but as I went to the Social Security Office on the 30th October and applied for a SSN, which I am still waiting for and that has turned into a bit of a nightmare runaround due to someones computer error at Homeland security, (that's another story), if I were or need to fill out the form I-765 it asks...

'Has the SSA ever officially issued a SS card to you?' - Which would be NO at this time.

and...

'Do you want the SSA to issue you a Social security Card?' - Again, if I have applied for one then surely this would be NO too?

Sorry if this sounds trivial but all the form filling and stress on wanting to do things correctly can start to make you question everything. Thanks in advance again.

Last edited by Trilo; Dec 9th 2018 at 11:28 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trilo
Firstly, where it asks for documentation evidence to be included for the I-485, it says to provide...
Obviously at this moment I have no US ID so would this be a UK driving license perhaps?
Yes, although I'd say a copy of your UK passport would be better.

Also, I was wondering about the forms I-765 Employment Authorization, and forms I-131 Advance parole, these being sent with the I-485 will not need an additional fee I believe but as I went to the Social Security Office on the 30th October and applied for a SSN, which I am still waiting for and that has turned into a bit of a nightmare runaround due to someones computer error at Homeland security, (that's another story), if I were or need to fill out the form I-765 it asks...

'Has the SSA ever officially issued a SS card to you?' - Which would be NO at this time.

and...

'Do you want the SSA to issue you a Social security Card?' - Again, if I have applied for one then surely this would be NO too?
Correct.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:31 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Trilo
Hi folks, was wondering if I could have a little bit more advice, form filling meltdown in motion and getting a little confused with all the conflicting data and what I hear from different sources.

Yes, it doesn't state whose government and if that is all you have in addition to your British passport that is, then that is what you use.

Also, I was wondering about the forms I-765 Employment Authorization, and forms I-131 Advance parole, do these need to be sent with the I-485 or are they optional? Also if you send them with the I-485 do they need the additional fee?
Of course they are optional. If you don't want the right to work or apply for a driver's license then don't file the I-765. If you don't mind abandoning your AOS when you return to the US while your AOS is pending if you needed to travel on an emergency basis, then don't file the I-131.

Both documents are included in the fee for the I-485, so why would you not file for them?

I only ask as I went to the Social Security Office on the 30th October and applied for a SSN, which I am still waiting for and has turned into a bit of a nightmare runaround due to someones computer error at Homeland security, (that's another story), if I were or need to fill out the form I-765 it asks...

and...

Of course the answer is no. You already knew that.

Sorry if this sounds trivial but all the form filling and stress on wanting to do things correctly can start to make you question everything. Thanks in advance again.
Take the questions at face value. Don't read into them. They are not difficult as you have discovered. Asking if you want a social security card issued to you never before appeared on the I-765, at least not when my husband completed the form. I know it is asked at the US Consulate/Embassy but didn't think it was asked on the US immigration forms.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Use passport. I didn't provide any UK driving licence copies or information.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 3:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rete, they recently updated three I-765 to include the question about wanting a SSN applied for. I had to look it up myself to make sure.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 5:58 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Another I-485 question I'm probably reading too much into, again.

Part 3. Additional Information About You
1. Have you ever applied for an immigrant visa to obtain permanent resident status at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate abroad?

Obviously I applied for my K1 non-immigrant visa and had to have the interview at the Embassy in London, but this is not a permanent resident visa, but can lead to it once getting married and then applying for AOS. I have ticked 'NO' as I believe it to be the correct answer, but that thing called doubt keeps creeping in.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 6:50 pm
Concierge

You most definitely are an over-thinker. It is no.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:27 pm
Ongoing K1 Visa

Just going through the I-485 before we compile it together with everything else that is needed for the AOS to make sure all is OK and I was pondering this question...

When I flew in to the US on my K1 Visa I went via Dublin and cleared US immigration there. One of the questions on the I-485 form asks...

"Place of Last Arrival into the United states [City or Town]"

I put Boston and MA in the drop down menu for the State along with the arrival date. It then asks...

"When I last arrived in the United States I:"
22.a. Was inspected at a port of entry and admitted as (for example, exchange visitor, visitor, visitor waived through; temporary worker, student:

For this I wrote "Fiance Visa"

My question is, do they think my POE would be the last city or town I entered? I was inspected at the POE in Dublin and not Boston, but the question does ask 'Last Arrival' city or town into the United States (which was Boston). I did write in the additional information at the end of the form to state this saying...

"My last arrival city or town into the United States was Boston, but I was inspected and admitted into the United States at Dublin airports immigration and border control."

I take it this would be OK and not cause any issues? I have technically answered the question as it has been asked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.