Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-485 filing + Marriage + 2 year home residency for fiancee

Wikiposts

I-485 filing + Marriage + 2 year home residency for fiancee

Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

gmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nice
Default I-485 filing + Marriage + 2 year home residency for fiancee

I have my Perm approved and my PD became current so i'm able to file I-485 but i have a couple of questions.

My fiancee was in US on J1 with 2 year HRR that is not up until Jan 15, 2008. She has been back to the US twice since she left (Jan 15, 2006) on B1/B2 visa. We plan to get married. When should we do it for her to be able to come to the US under my I-485 when her 2year HRR is up.

Please advise. I just sent an e-mail to my attorney but she's on vacation until Jun 19... I guess i'm too anxious to find out what my options are.

Congratulations to anyone who is able to file.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-485 filing + Marriage + 2 year home residency for fiancee

Originally Posted by gmang79
I have my Perm approved and my PD became current so i'm able to file I-485 but i have a couple of questions.

My fiancee was in US on J1 with 2 year HRR that is not up until Jan 15, 2008. She has been back to the US twice since she left (Jan 15, 2006) on B1/B2 visa. We plan to get married. When should we do it for her to be able to come to the US under my I-485 when her 2year HRR is up.

Please advise. I just sent an e-mail to my attorney but she's on vacation until Jun 19... I guess i'm too anxious to find out what my options are.

Congratulations to anyone who is able to file.
I'm sure your attorney will advise you, but AFAIK it is vital that you get married before you file for AOS.

Do a search for "follow to join".

NB: Immigration Portal is a useful site for H1bs.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If you file when you have your GC ... it will be about 5 years before she
can get a visa...
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_3258.html
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

gmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nice

Hmm, quite confused now. Follow to join seems quite easy....

Elvira: thank you for your quick reply! By getting married before filing for AOS do you mean before I can file I-485 or is there something else?

I'm reading on "follow to join" as well.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Does this make sense?

1. She comes to US under her valid B1/B2 before I file I-485 in July.
2. We get married. She goes back in a few weeks.
3. Now that we are married before i file I-485 she can do "follow to join". Right?
4. DO i include her in I-485 after we get married? She still can't come after her 2year HRR is finished. What happens if I-485 gets approved before.

Pretty difficult situation..... can't wait until my attorney is back. I never thought PD would become current so quick.....
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Any more ideas on this?

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

Cheers!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmang79
Any more ideas on this?

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

Cheers!
Have you checked out...........:

NB: Immigration Portal is a useful site for H1bs.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

I have posted on immigration portal but no luck there. I like this site much more, seems more organized and people always seem willing to help.

Thanks in advance!