Wikiposts

I-485

Old Jun 27th 2004, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

yr0000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-485

Is it true that after getting a renewable EAD and after receiving an I-485, an applicant can change employers and stay in the country till he gets his green card.

My point is that does the application become independant of employer after an I 485 is filed?
Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:40 am
Joachim Feise

Default Re: I-485

yr0000 wrote on 6/27/2004 5:38:

> Is it true that after getting a renewable EAD and after receiving an I-
    > 485, an applicant can change employers and stay in the country till he
    > gets his green card.

The applicant can change employers only when the I-485 is pending for
over 180 days. This was introduced with the AC-21 (American Competitiveness
in the 21st Century) legislation.

-Joe

Old Jun 27th 2004, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

marlborobell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yr0000
Is it true that after getting a renewable EAD and after receiving an I-485, an applicant can change employers and stay in the country till he gets his green card.

My point is that does the application become independant of employer after an I 485 is filed?
[I am not a lawyer, so please don't take my words as gospel.]

The short answer: no.

The slightly longer answer: yes in some circumstances, but not before 180 days after the I-485 is filed.

The even longer answer: Provided your I-140 has already been approved, 180 days after you file your I-485, you are entitled (with an EAD) to work in 'the same or a similar occupation' for a new employer and retain your Green Card application. However, the I-140 MUST have already been approved, which will NOT be the case if you have filed I-140 and I-485 simultaneously.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

yr0000 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys

Originally posted by marlborobell
[I am not a lawyer, so please don't take my words as gospel.]

The short answer: no.

The slightly longer answer: yes in some circumstances, but not before 180 days after the I-485 is filed.

The even longer answer: Provided your I-140 has already been approved, 180 days after you file your I-485, you are entitled (with an EAD) to work in 'the same or a similar occupation' for a new employer and retain your Green Card application. However, the I-140 MUST have already been approved, which will NOT be the case if you have filed I-140 and I-485 simultaneously.