Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134 Specific Questions

Wikiposts

I-134 Specific Questions

Old Mar 25th 2001, 12:11 pm
K-1 Visa Applicant

I am filing the I-134 Form in connection with my I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance. I
am the Petitioner.

Instructions (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Item A - Numbers 1, 2, 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Does anyone have an opinion as to what the INS considers most important --- the
current balance in ones' checking account, or their annual salary??

I am wondering if I should wait for my next paycheck to be deposited so that the
letter from my bank reflects a higher available amount of cash. My annual salary is
35,500.00 per year; is this enough support for two adults according to INS standards?

Instructions (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Item D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do not have any bonds. Is this OK? The section of the I-134 application asks to
list serial numbers of bonds, etc.

Application (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Number 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This question asks if I have any other "personal property, the reasonable value of
which is..." What is considered "personal property" -- computers, general material
household things such as an expensive television, etc.?

Application (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Number 8
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question number 8 asks if my alien fiance(e) is wholly or partially dependent on me
for support. As my alien fiance will have to look for a job here after marriage, is
it valid to answer "wholly" to this question?

**Thank you, everyone. Any bit of advice is appreciated. - Chumpster

Old Mar 25th 2001, 1:29 pm
K-1 Visa Applicant

Thank you, Diane.

If anyone can help us answer the "wholly" or "partially" question that we're
concerned about (see below), please do.

Thanks to everyone!

>
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I am filing the I-134 Form in connection with my I-129F Petition for[/usenetquote2]
Alien
[usenetquote2]> > Fiance. I am the Petitioner.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Instructions (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Item A - Numbers 1, 2, 3[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Does anyone have an opinion as to what the INS considers most[/usenetquote2]
important ---
[usenetquote2]> > the current balance in ones' checking account, or their annual salary??[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
if
    >
must
    >
lists the
    >
Your
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I am wondering if I should wait for my next paycheck to be deposited so[/usenetquote2]
that
[usenetquote2]> > the letter from my bank reflects a higher available amount of cash. My annual[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > salary is 35,500.00 per year; is this enough support for two[/usenetquote2]
adults
[usenetquote2]> > according to INS standards?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
want to
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Instructions (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Item D[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I do not have any bonds. Is this OK? The section of the I-134[/usenetquote2]
application
[usenetquote2]> > asks to list serial numbers of bonds, etc.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Application (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Number 7[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > This question asks if I have any other "personal property, the[/usenetquote2]
reasonable
[usenetquote2]> > value of which is..." What is considered "personal property" -- computers,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > general material household things such as an expensive television, etc.?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
won't
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Application (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Number 8[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Question number 8 asks if my alien fiance(e) is wholly or partially dependent on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > me for support. As my alien fiance will have to look for a[/usenetquote2]
job
[usenetquote2]> > here after marriage, is it valid to answer "wholly" to this question?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
"NONE"
    >
dependents
    >
    >
submitted
    >
a
    >
search
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > **Thank you, everyone. Any bit of advice is appreciated. - Chumpster[/usenetquote2]

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 25th 2001, 1:32 pm
Diane M

K-1 Visa Applicant wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

According to what I've read, what counts most is your income. Savings, personal
property, and stocks or bonds are taken into consideration only if your salary does
not meet the poverty guidelines, which indicate that you must make 125% of the
poverty level. There is a sheet with the I-134 that lists the poverty levels, I can't
find mine, but it's something like $18000/year. Your income is more than adequate.

>
    >
    >
    >

I don't think that your current balance will make any difference. They want to verify
that you have been steadily depositing cash over the last year.

>
    >
    >
    >

As long as your income is adequate, they don't care.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Once again, you can enter whatever personal property you have, but it won't matter if
you meet income levels, which you do.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I hope that someone else will reply to this one. I was going to put "NONE" under this
question, since I interpreted it to be asking if I have dependents in the U.S.
already, which I don't. I am more concerned about question 10, which asks if I've
submitted Visa petitions for anyone. Of course I submitted one for Eddie, so it seems
I should put his name there, but since this is a petition of support for Eddie, it
seems redundant. I haven't done a web search on the correct answer to this one, so I
haven't posted it as a question.

>
    >
    >

Good Luck.

Diane M.

Old Mar 25th 2001, 1:42 pm
Ben Johnson

Chumpster,

For starters, you do not need to file the I-134 with the I-129F. That form is
required in it's original form with original supporting documents AT the interview.
The INS service center does not need it to process the I-129F..... If you feel
compelled to file it with the I-129F make sure it is a copy and get the original to
your fiance for the interview.

>
important ---
    >

If you have a salary, that exceeds by 125% the HHS poverty guidelines for your
projected family size....that is all they are interested in for this form !

>
that
    >
    >
    >

If you make 35K, that is all the INS needs to know, and that is all you have
to prove !

>
    >
    >
application
    >

to prove !

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

to prove !

>
    >
    >
    >
job
    >

Odds are she will not be working for a while, so the answer is wholly.

Ben

>

Old Mar 25th 2001, 2:40 pm
Baird

I thought the entire form was for you to show your support for your alien fiance(e)
do you have to list her or him in line 8 as well, or just other other dependents
(ex-wifes, existing children, etc.)

Baird
--

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
important ---
    >
    >
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
application
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
job
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 26th 2001, 12:23 am
RJLiles

Diane answered your I-134 question very well.

As far as the "have you submitted a visa for a person" question that is referring to
in the past, not for the current application. You have NOT submitted this
application yet so the answer would be NO if you have never submitted an application
for another person.

Unless you are current supporting your fiancé then the answer to the other question
is NO. They are asking if you are currently support them, not if you will be
supporting them.

>
    >
    >
we're
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > K-1 Visa Applicant wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I am filing the I-134 Form in connection with my I-129F Petition for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > Fiance. I am the Petitioner.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Instructions (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Item A - Numbers 1, 2, 3[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Does anyone have an opinion as to what the INS considers most[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > the current balance in ones' checking account, or their annual[/usenetquote2]
salary??
[usenetquote2]> > According to what I've read, what counts most is your income. Savings, personal[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > property, and stocks or bonds are taken into consideration only[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > your salary does not meet the poverty guidelines, which indicate that[/usenetquote2]
you
    >
[usenetquote2]> > make 125% of the poverty level. There is a sheet with the I-134 that[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > poverty levels, I can't find mine, but it's something like $18000/year.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > income is more than adequate.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I am wondering if I should wait for my next paycheck to be deposited[/usenetquote2]
so
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > the letter from my bank reflects a higher available amount of cash.[/usenetquote2]
My
[usenetquote2]> > > annual salary is 35,500.00 per year; is this enough support for two[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > according to INS standards?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I don't think that your current balance will make any difference. They[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > verify that you have been steadily depositing cash over the last year.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Instructions (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Item D[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I do not have any bonds. Is this OK? The section of the I-134[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > asks to list serial numbers of bonds, etc.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As long as your income is adequate, they don't care.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Application (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Number 7[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > This question asks if I have any other "personal property, the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > value of which is..." What is considered "personal property" -- computers,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > general material household things such as an expensive television, etc.?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Once again, you can enter whatever personal property you have, but it[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > matter if you meet income levels, which you do.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Application (Rev. 10/12/00)Y Number 8[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Question number 8 asks if my alien fiance(e) is wholly or partially dependent[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > on me for support. As my alien fiance will have to look for[/usenetquote2]
a
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > here after marriage, is it valid to answer "wholly" to this question?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I hope that someone else will reply to this one. I was going to put[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > under this question, since I interpreted it to be asking if I have[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > in the U.S. already, which I don't. I am more concerned about question[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > which asks if I've submitted Visa petitions for anyone. Of course I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > one for Eddie, so it seems I should put his name there, but since this[/usenetquote2]
is
    >
[usenetquote2]> > petition of support for Eddie, it seems redundant. I haven't done a web[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > on the correct answer to this one, so I haven't posted it as a question.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > **Thank you, everyone. Any bit of advice is appreciated. - Chumpster[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Good Luck. [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Diane M.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Mar 26th 2001, 1:15 am
Jonathan_ATC

You don't need to prove assets if your income is enough.

You don't need a bank letter if your income meets the standards.

No, you better go out and buy some bonds. Hahaha! If your income is enough, you do
not need bank letter. If your income is enough, you do not need to list any assets.

Yes, personal property is personal property. Like when you get your homeowner's or
renter's insurance, they ask for your personal property value so they know what to
insure you for.

Wholly until she gets a job, so wholly.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
important ---
    >
    >
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
application
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
job
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 26th 2001, 1:23 am
Jonathan_ATC

You don't need to prove assets if your income is enough.

You don't need a bank letter if your income meets the standards.

No, you better go out and buy some bonds. Hahaha! If your income is enough, you do
not need bank letter. If your income is enough, you do not need to list any assets.

Yes, personal property is personal property. Like when you get your homeowner's or
renter's insurance, they ask for your personal property value so they know what to
insure you for.

As for question 8, they are asking for people you currently support, not in the
future. You would not list her here at all.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
important ---
    >
    >
    >
that
    >