I-134 Question

Old Mar 22nd 2003, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tiff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-134 Question

COuple of quick questions I know someone will be able to answer for me

1. On the form where it states

"I have other personal property the reasonable value of which is __________"
Are they refering to personal affects kind of property that could be liquidated if needed such as furniture, household effects OR are they refering to property as in land, real estate kind of property??

2. If my income alone is considerably over the poverty level do I even need to fill in the other questions such as money in the bank, personal property, life insurance etc?

3. If I do not need to fill these in based on my over the poverty level income do I just leave blank or fill in with 0.00?

All help is always appreciated
Old Mar 22nd 2003, 4:43 pm
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not an attorney, nor am I a lawyer, nor all that smart... But here is my two cents worth:

A) NEVER leave anything blank on a government form.

B) Yes you have to fill that stuff in, even if you are over the poverty level.

C) If you fill them out with a zero, then they will take that literaly. I assest the value of what I owned via what I report for my home owners insurance.

D) Remember, along with tax returns, you need bank statements. I do not know what dollar amount they like to see in the bank, but I am sure it is at least a couple hundred dollars. Always wondered about that if anyone has any thoughts.

As a general rule, always send more than what they ask for, never less.

Just my opinion here... No lawsuits please

Scott
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:12 am
David Brown

Default Re: I-134 Question

I put the value of my car in there and used Kelly Blue book as a guideline,
if they ask about HOW I reached the assets conclusion I have a quick answer.

I agree with Scott, if I leave a blank they will say 'wow he's broke!" or
it might generate a question.

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 12:59 am
Ron

"Tiff" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > COuple of quick questions I know someone will be able to answer for me
    >
    > 1. On the form where it states
    > "I have other personal property the reasonable value of which is
    > __________"
    > Are they refering to personal affects kind of property that could be
    > liquidated if needed such as furniture, household effects OR are they
    > refering to property as in land, real estate kind of property??

Personal property as opposed to real property - electronics, furniture,
clothing, etc

> 2. If my income alone is considerably over the poverty level do I even
    > need to fill in the other questions such as money in the bank,
    > personal property, life insurance etc?

You need only show you meet or exceed 125% of the poverty level.

> 3. If I do not need to fill these in based on my over the poverty level
    > income do I just leave blank or fill in with 0.00?

I entered a dash "-" on each line to show I didn't inadvertently leave it
blank.

Best of luck to the two of you!

Ron

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tiff

Are they refering to personal affects kind of property that could be liquidated if needed such as furniture, household effects OR are they refering to property as in land, real estate kind of property??

<snip>
There is a separate question about real estate equity, so it doesn't include the value of land and improvements.

I listed the value of all personal property, including my cars, jewelry, artwork, computers and furnishings. I attached my my insurance declarations sheet showing what they are insured for.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 7:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tiff

2. If my income alone is considerably over the poverty level do I even need to fill in the other questions such as money in the bank, personal property, life insurance etc?

3. If I do not need to fill these in based on my over the poverty level income do I just leave blank or fill in with 0.00?

All help is always appreciated

Hi:

By definition, "personal property" is not "real property." You gave the defintion of the personal property to use. As a matter of law, the only way to put a definite value on such property is to actually sell it -- any thing else is a matter of opinion. But opinion is valid evidence of value -- so put down what YOU think its worth.

Since your income is sufficient, don't sweat it too much -- it is the income that they want to see as a general rule.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hi there,

I see you and pimpbot are well underway in your visa process. Congratulations.

Just wanted to let you know that I only listed my income, it exceeded the poverty line and then I put a $0 on the other sections.

Since you're going through London , I'm assuming you won't have any problems as well. Good luck with the rest of the process.

Kat
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

sandy- pie is an unknown quantity at this point

um yeah, i recall this question being asked several times before and people answered that if you were over the poverty limit with income, you did not need to fill in the other things. I have already sent these to my fiance and I and my parents left all the extra poperty thingsblank. me because i technically dont have anything in my name(my car isnt even worth more then a couple huindred dollars.) and my parents because they make well over the poverty limit. should i have my fiance fill them in before the interview, or will we be alright?

sandy
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 7:52 am
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I suppose that I do not need to include my collection of vintage GI Joe action figures as personal property since I make more than the poverty level.

Is it a bad idea to list items that have been appraised and listed in a home owners insurance packege. Even though it might not be necessary, I always felt that when giving the gov. info, more is better than less. It sounds to me that all they are looking for is that you are employed and can support yourself and fiancee/wife.

What about funds in bank account? Do they just look at deposit, or on hand cash in bank. Some people like me probably like to keep cash in home safe rather than in the bank? I always keep a grand or two in the bank, but it varies depending on what time of the month it is as I also pay bills

Scott
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2002 tax income shows income below the 2003 guidelines (by less than $200, but still), so I sent in extra information (including the insurance declarations page of my policy) because I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I definitely wanted to make sure that the consulate knew conclusively that last year's income stream was only a small part of the "totality of the circumstances" they are supposed to take into account when making their "public charge" decision before issuing the visa. And I wanted to do all I could to make 150% sure the consulate didn't send Dekka away asking for "more" financial information when his interview date finally comes sometime before I turn 50 (8 years from now). That result would only cause weeks of delay. And we're already hurting over and resentful of the semi-irrational, dubiously-effective bureacratic process of handling fiance visa petitions, which to us seems designed primarily to weed out folks by manufacture of unproductive delays.

But my choice was because I'm me - anal retentive, a litigator and thus a believer in overkill when it comes to "evidence", and willing to give the government what it asks for when it is "benign" information, such as that about my financial standing. I can't say with certainty that the levels I went to providing "evidence" to support the I-134 were necessary, because I've never done it before and certainly will never do it again. But I can say that doing so has resulted in at least a tiny bit of stress reduction - always a Good Thing for me personally.

We'll see /shrug.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel

But my choice was because I'm me - anal retentive, a litigator and thus a believer in overkill when it comes to "evidence", and willing to give the government what it asks for when it is "benign" information, such as that about my financial standing. I can't say with certainty that the levels I went to providing "evidence" to support the I-134 were necessary, because I've never done it before and certainly will never do it again. But I can say that doing so has resulted in at least a tiny bit of stress reduction - always a Good Thing for me personally.

We'll see /shrug.
I'm the same as you Dekka's Angel, ....except I'm not a litigator, lol! Overkill...good, stress...bad!

The I-134 that I filled out for my UK fiance didn't seem like it gave me the option of of just filling out information pertaining to only my employment. The INSTRUCTIONS page requests the execution of the affidavit and then asks you to include (in duplicate) bank letter(s), employment letter, if self employed it asks you to submit tax return.

Along with the above, I decided to submit a copy of my tax return for last year. I'm not self employed, but I just thought I'd add it for good measure. I don't want to leave anything to chance.