I-134 or I-864?

Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

grajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-134 or I-864?

I am in the UK, my USC fiancee is awaiting I-129F approval from Nebraska. in this case does she use the I-134 Affidavit of Support?

I see on form OF-169 from the US consulate here that the word 'relative' is used in respect of the I-864.

I am starting to deal with the packet 3 now so I will have more questions I am afraid...

Incidentally, speaking to the US consulate in London this week they said to go ahead and send in my form (or forms, that is rather unclear in the contradictory instructions, I need to phone again at £1.50 per minute!) and they will open a file without waiting for our approval from NSC. Very helpful lady there, talks fast too which is a bonus... considering... :-)

Thanks in anticipation
grajan
Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: I-134 or I-864?

Hi,
I can only speak from an I-130 (spousal) point of view, however much the process is similar)
The "London helpline" is based in Edinburgh ( no disrespect to the Scots, but that may be why you didn't undertstand her)
The helpline (at £1.50 per minute,as you say) are OK for some things, but a little "disjointed on others"
The form that you need to send in to "open a file" is the DS-230 (part 1) This is the form that gets the visa process going.
As I said I can only comment on the spousal situation, there may be an identical form for fiancee's
My advice to you regaring the I-864 (Affadvit of support) is to study it very closely.
In my opinion this is the single most important document of the lot.
If you fail that, you will fail the interview.
Also with regard to the OF-169 (another piece of advice)
do not send it in until you are sure that you have everything you need. Once London receives that, they will schedule you with an interview, and changing that can be difficult.
The thing that can take the longest is the police report, this
(on average) takes 5-6 weeks.
if you have lived abroad (since you were 16) for more than a year you will also need to get a police report from each of those conries (with some exceptions) and this can take a while.

I hope I've helped.
Ask away with any other questions.

Originally posted by grajan:
I am in the UK, my USC fiancee is awaiting I-129F approval from Nebraska. in this case does she use the I-134 Affidavit of Support?

I see on form OF-169 from the US consulate here that the word 'relative' is used in respect of the I-864.

I am starting to deal with the packet 3 now so I will have more questions I am afraid...

Incidentally, speaking to the US consulate in London this week they said to go ahead and send in my form (or forms, that is rather unclear in the contradictory instructions, I need to phone again at £1.50 per minute!) and they will open a file without waiting for our approval from NSC. Very helpful lady there, talks fast too which is a bonus... considering... :-)

Thanks in anticipation
grajan
Old Aug 14th 2002, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou rogerpenycate for the reply... I am half scot so I did not have any problems understanding the lady :-) What was confusing was the written instructions on the two help sheets, i.e. the OF-169 and the iv15 as regard which forms to send in first.

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
Hi,
I can only speak from an I-130 (spousal) point of view, however much the process is similar)
The "London helpline" is based in Edinburgh ( no disrespect to the Scots, but that may be why you didn't undertstand her)
The helpline (at £1.50 per minute,as you say) are OK for some things, but a little "disjointed on others"
The form that you need to send in to "open a file" is the DS-230 (part 1) This is the form that gets the visa process going.
As I said I can only comment on the spousal situation, there may be an identical form for fiancee's
My advice to you regaring the I-864 (Affadvit of support) is to study it very closely.
In my opinion this is the single most important document of the lot.
If you fail that, you will fail the interview.
Also with regard to the OF-169 (another piece of advice)
do not send it in until you are sure that you have everything you need. Once London receives that, they will schedule you with an interview, and changing that can be difficult.
The thing that can take the longest is the police report, this
(on average) takes 5-6 weeks.
if you have lived abroad (since you were 16) for more than a year you will also need to get a police report from each of those conries (with some exceptions) and this can take a while.

I hope I've helped.
Ask away with any other questions.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by grajan:
Thankyou rogerpenycate for the reply... I am half scot so I did not have any problems understanding the lady :-) What was confusing was the written instructions on the two help sheets, i.e. the OF-169 and the iv15 as regard which forms to send in first.

Not sure what happenned then so I will continue.... seem to have posted half of my message... sorry.

anyway.... The OF-169 appears to say to send the OF-230 part 1 only whereas the iv15 says to send the OF-230part 1, DS-156 (unsigned) and the OF-156k. So you suggest to only send the OF-230 part 1 first..... makes sense really.

I thin that the fiancee visa and spousal visa do use the different Affidavit of support forms but I am still looking for confirmation on this. I think the I-184 is for 'family based' applications... which the Fiancee Visa is not... not family.

thankyou... I'll be back as the big guy says

grajan
Old Aug 15th 2002, 4:32 am
Denis Barlow

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:22:53 +0000, grajan <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am in the UK, my USC fiancee is awaiting I-129F approval from Nebraska. in this
    >case does she use the I-134 Affidavit of Support?
    >I see on form OF-169 from the US consulate here that the word 'relative' is used in
    >respect of the I-864.

Hi grajan, your fiancee needs to use the I-134 for the K-1 Visa and then once you
are in the USA, married and applying for AOS you'll need to use the I-864.
Confusing isn't it!

You need to return the DS-230 part 1, the DS-156, the DS-156k and the IV-15 check
list. Do NOT send any of the supporting documentation, you'll take that with you to
the Embassy.

Denis

>I am starting to deal with the packet 3 now so I will have more questions I am
    >afraid...
    >Incidentally, speaking to the US consulate in London this week they said to go ahead
    >and send in my form (or forms, that is rather unclear in the contradictory
    >instructions, I need to phone again at £1.50 per minute!) and they will open a file
    >without waiting for our approval from NSC. Very helpful lady there, talks fast too
    >which is a bonus... considering... :-)
    >Thanks in anticipation grajan
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Denis

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!

Old Aug 15th 2002, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for the useful replies..... printed out and filed... more Q's coming...

grajan