Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-134, Affidavit of Support

I-134, Affidavit of Support

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

axis667 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-134, Affidavit of Support

Does anyone know of a reliable line-by-line instruction sheet for the above document? I want to be prepared for all eventualities during the long K1 process (even if I'm getting ahead of myself!)
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-134, Affidavit of Support

Originally Posted by axis667
Does anyone know of a reliable line-by-line instruction sheet for the above document? I want to be prepared for all eventualities during the long K1 process (even if I'm getting ahead of myself!)
The ONLY reliable instruction sheet for the I-134 is found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-134. Both the form and the instructions are there, and those are the only official ones.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, I guess you can never be too inquisitive in these matters. Also, who is the ideal person to be filling the form? I have looked all over for information, (including the omniscient Google) and have found conflicting views. My fiancee? A relative/employer of hers? My employer in the UK?

All so confusing lol!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again, I guess you can never be too inquisitive in these matters. Also, who is the ideal person to be filling the form? I have looked all over for information, (including the omniscient Google) and have found conflicting views. My fiancee? A relative/employer of hers? My employer in the UK?

All so confusing lol!
The USC fiance(e) fills out the I-134.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

All so confusing lol!
You need to know that many of these forms are designed for multiple purposes so not every question will make perfect sense for your context.
You might find this article helpful: I-134 and Overcoming the Public Charge Issue
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Further to Rene's post, your USC fiancee has to complete the I-134. If the USC fiancee does not earn enough or have the requirement amount of assets, then you will need a co-sponsor will complete their own I-134. So you will take two to the US Consulate for your interview.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not in this case.

He can complete it.

I did my own, no USC involvement, or PR.

Assuming nothing has changed recently.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not in this case.

He can complete it.

I did my own, no USC involvement, or PR.

Assuming nothing has changed recently.
Only assuming they feel he has sufficient personal funds to use as assets. That's the only method I know of that wouldn't require a USC to fill it out. It's always appeared that 'how much is enough' has been a bit subjective.

Hopefully, he doesn't plan on using equity in his home because it appears that London has cracked down on that due to the downturn in the market.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 4th 2008 at 7:58 am.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Only assuming they feel he has sufficient personal funds to use as assets. That's the only method I know of that wouldn't require a USC to fill it out. It's always appeared that 'how much is enough' has been a bit subjective.

Hopefully, he doesn't plan on using equity in his home because it appears that London has cracked down on that due to the downturn in the market.
Not a lot for a 134, a few grand.

This applies to the 864.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot for a 134, a few grand.

This applies to the 864.

And if things haven't changed since you did it a few yrs back.

Better to have the I-134 from the USC and a co-sponsor on hand and never have to submit them then to go without them.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
And if things haven't changed since you did it a few yrs back.

Better to have the I-134 from the USC and a co-sponsor on hand and never have to submit them then to go without them.
Not something I keep track of, but I have seen people go the same way certainly this year.

I can not think of any logical reason why things would have changed, but logic etc is not always a factor.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I can not think of any logical reason why things would have changed, but logic etc is not always a factor.
one reason is because London has been coming down hard on aff. of support and asking for additional documentation for assets, and, in at least 1 case, they didn't even accept an I-864 that clearly met the poverty guidelines. So going to the interview with armed with everything you cuold think of, as backup, could help prevent any delays in getting a visa approval - including an I-134 or I-864 for (co)sponsors that you not need to use.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
one reason is because London has been coming down hard on aff. of support and asking for additional documentation for assets, and, in at least 1 case, they didn't even accept an I-864 that clearly met the poverty guidelines. So going to the interview with armed with everything you cuold think of, as backup, could help prevent any delays in getting a visa approval - including an I-134 or I-864 for (co)sponsors that you not need to use.
For the 134 it is just enough to get you through the 90 days.

I think it was something in the order of GBP3,000.

I would not suggest you try and use assets. I had a print out of the balance in my current account that morning.

You can always ask what the current number is.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

For the 134 it is just enough to get you through the 90 days.

I think it was something in the order of GBP3,000.

I would not suggest you try and use assets. I had a print out of the balance in my current account that morning.

You can always ask what the current number is.
Thanks for all the advice, we're saving and saving at the moment, but obviously what with the time of year etc we're having a hard time. Still, we're soldiering on. Thanks again guys, it's a great help.