Wikiposts

i-134 – Sponsorship

Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice
Default i-134 – Sponsorship

I have a potential sponsor and I just want to make sure I give them all the details of what they are signing.

I know that they must have 100% (for DV) of the poverty guidelines and need to show evidence of their income etc. But regarding what signing the i-134 itself, is it a legally binding form? Does it mean that they will be responsible for me financially if I were to use the welfare system? Does it have any other implications for them? Is there anything else about being a sponsor they need to be told?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i-134 – Sponsorship

Originally Posted by _chloe_
I know that they must have 100% (for DV) of the poverty guidelines and need to show evidence of their income etc.
Just to clarify, that's for *their* household + you. So, if there are 3 in the household + you, then they need to demonstrate income sufficient for 4 people.

But regarding what signing the i-134 itself, is it a legally binding form?
From my understanding, the I-134 is *not* a legally binding agreement. The I-864, however, *is* a legally binding contract between the sponsor and the US government.

Does it mean that they will be responsible for me financially if I were to use the welfare system?
Not exactly. It means that the US Government could come after them to repay any money that you receive if, for example, you were on welfare (although it's unlikely you would even be allowed to be on welfare... but that's a whole different story).

Does it have any other implications for them?
Nope... not really.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice_chloe_ is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just to clarify, that's for *their* household + you. So, if there are 3 in the household + you, then they need to demonstrate income sufficient for 4 people.

From my understanding, the I-134 is *not* a legally binding agreement. The I-864, however, *is* a legally binding contract between the sponsor and the US government.

Not exactly. It means that the US Government could come after them to repay any money that you receive if, for example, you were on welfare (although it's unlikely you would even be allowed to be on welfare... but that's a whole different story).

Nope... not really.

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian. Your answers were very helpful.

Just to clarify, if there are 3 people in the household, according to the poverty guidelines http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1327.html (for the DV lottery) for a household of 4 people (3 + me), the person would need to earn $22,200 per annum, correct?

Also, the I-864 isn’t required for a DV lottery sponsor, right? It’s is for family based sponsors….?

Thanks again
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Ian. Your answers were very helpful.

Just to clarify, if there are 3 people in the household, according to the poverty guidelines http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1327.html (for the DV lottery) for a household of 4 people (3 + me), the person would need to earn $22,200 per annum, correct?

Also, the I-864 isn’t required for a DV lottery sponsor, right? It’s is for family based sponsors….?

Thanks again
According to the current poverty guidelines, the 100% amount for a household of 4 is $21,200. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

The I-864 is not required for DV sponsor, that's correct. It's the I-134. And it's not forever, I believe there is a time limit to the I-134...after that, it's not valid anymore. And since it's not a legally binding document, I don't know how enforceable it really is, anyway.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
According to the current poverty guidelines, the 100% amount for a household of 4 is $21,200. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

The I-864 is not required for DV sponsor, that's correct. It's the I-134. And it's not forever, I believe there is a time limit to the I-134...after that, it's not valid anymore. And since it's not a legally binding document, I don't know how enforceable it really is, anyway.

Rene
Thanks Rene and Ian.

Just one more, what if a friend is your sponsor and he still lives with his parents but has no dependants or anyone to support but himself. Does this count as a 3 person household?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just one more, what if a friend is your sponsor and he still lives with his parents but has no dependants or anyone to support but himself. Does this count as a 3 person household?
Yes. The criteria isn't the number of dependents, but the number of people in the same household.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes. The criteria isn't the number of dependents, but the number of people in the same household.

Ian
I think this is something that changed with the Final Rule last year.

How Do I Count Household Size?

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and an immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated to support.
If necessary to meet the income requirements to be a sponsor, you may include additional relatives (adult children,parents, or siblings) as part of your household size as long as they have the same principle residence as you and promise to use their income and resources in support of the intending immigrant(s).
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oops... my bad! Sorry!

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

How Do I Count Household Size?

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and an immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated to support.
If necessary to meet the income requirements to be a sponsor, you may include additional relatives (adult children,parents, or siblings) as part of your household size as long as they have the same principle residence as you and promise to use their income and resources in support of the intending immigrant(s).
Thanks for the link. So I guess an employed adult living with their parents is considered as having a household of just one then?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link. So I guess an employed adult living with their parents is considered as having a household of just one then?

Thanks again.
For I-864, yes.
I don't remember that I-134 discusses household members at all.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

For I-864, yes.
I don't remember that I-134 discusses household members at all.
Thanks for that meauxna
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Don't they need 125% of the poverty level, not 100%?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Don't they need 125% of the poverty level, not 100%?
It's 100% for I-134 and 125% for I-864 as far as I know.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

It's 100% for I-134 and 125% for I-864 as far as I know.
Oh really. How silly of me, I never even knew that - I guess I was focused on what I'd need for the I-864.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

mahema is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear friends,

My friend won a dv2009. His file is processing.
I have one question about sponsor. His uncle agree to submit the sponsor's document for him. He live in US since 1999 but now he just hold the 2 Years Green Card (not 10 years). He has sufficient money and secure job in US. He paid the tax like other forks for years.

Can his uncle file sponsor document I-134 or I-864 for him ?
Please make comment...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.