British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-131 Expediting Process? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-131-expediting-process-925140/)

Sister Luck May 21st 2019 4:59 pm

I-131 Expediting Process?

Hi All!

It's been awhile since I've visited this forum. Me and my husband's case has been approved as of last August as I once posted and we are awaiting the next step next year...the removal of conditions on his temp green card. So, all good there.

Since then, I have been helping my boss and his wife from Sweden through the process as I've been there, done that. Neither are into getting on the computer and typing to forums, so I'm their spokesperson here. And here's the short version.

She moved here from Sweden early November 2018 on K-1 Visa
They married later in November 2018
Filed (and have receipt) their I-485 on December 21, 2018 (along with a I-131 Application to Travel and the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization)
She's gone for her Biometrics (although just in April as a January notice was never delivered and there was a rescheduling delay there)

Case processing times are at about 5-7 months for the I-131 according to the online case status as well as a rep on the phone yesterday. This is an issue as she was due back in Sweden in June for a month(ish) to handle some business, tend to some medical things (annual surgery follow-up) and see to some things with her home there. To top things off, her 24-year old son was here visiting last month and had a bad motorcycle accident, breaking his femur in two. He had emergency surgery here and was finally allowed to return to Sweden to follow up with doctors there. He could really use her assistance as he's still just getting by with mobility.

Initially, she thought things might push through by June, and she's a bit flexible on travel dates, but it does look like requesting an expedition of the I-131 application might be in order. Has anyone here had any experience with this process? Initial research indicates that a formal cover letter request is all that's needed. But perhaps a form is necessary as well. We realise the letter must be very specific on her travel needs.

If anyone can offer any advice here, we would be indebted to you!

Cheers!

Rete May 21st 2019 5:11 pm

Re: I-131 Expediting Process?

There is no form for her to complete that I am aware of. She can call the 1-800 number and first see what the status of the I-131 and I-765 are. They are usually both on one card. She can then tell them of her need to travel due to her son's disability and her employment. If that doesn't help, she needs to contact the congressperson's immigration office and ask them for assistance.

PS I do have to say that I can't condone what you are doing. You are not an immigration attorney nor is your advice overseen by contemporaries who can correct whatever erroneous information you may be giving them or that information that is current or changes in USCIS policies.

scrubbedexpat099 May 21st 2019 5:45 pm

She can certainly apply for an expedite, many do, the only thing that may vaguely apply is her son's medical situation and that sounds iffy, she would need documentation to substantiate the reason she is needed urgently.

Noorah101 May 21st 2019 6:41 pm

I don't know if Infopass appointments are still being done or if that option has now gone away. . but if it exists she could try that.

Rene

Wishingonastar0 May 22nd 2019 6:26 pm

Hiya,
I expedited my I-131 in January and it still took about 3-4 weeks from beginning to end. I simply called them and explained and they went through some questions (you have to fit into one of the categories). They then sent me a letter (which in itself took about 12 days to arrive) saying that I needed to fax supporting information to the number they provided. I ended up doing this about 3 times as I expected the process to be quicker. Anyway, I finally got my whole advance parole combo card approved and mailed. What a day that was! Ironically, I received my green card interview for two days after it arrived so I didn’t even end up using the thing!! Any other questions I’m happy to answer!

Sister Luck May 24th 2019 4:39 pm

Hi Wishing (love the name!),

Can you tell me when you filed your ORIGINAL I-485/I-131 applications? Shocking your GC interview letter came when it did as you were trying to expedite travel. In the case of my husband, his EAD Combo card arrived about 4 months after original I-485 filing and the GC interview didn't happen for 18 months after filing.

Anyway, in this case, she hasn't received ANYTHING other than the biometrics letter(s), which she has completed last month.

Cheers!

Wishingonastar0 May 24th 2019 5:31 pm

The originals were filed October 22nd I believe it was. I did actually write a letter with my I-131 at the time asking for it to be expedited but nothing happened and I later discovered you literally have to call to expedite. Have you checked the processing times on the USCIS website? I had lots of good advice also from the forums at Immihelp so worth trying out that website for sure as there's a whole section for expediting the combo card on there. My interview date was 19th February and I believe I received the letter about 3-4 weeks before. I might add though, I think the AOS process happened a lot faster for us, because we initially started via consular processing and then switched. Our I-130 was actually already approved around August/September 2018. I really feel that made a difference. We filed the initial I-130 in November 2017 so overall a similar timeframe. What office are they filing out of? I heard Vegas in particular are slow. We also had A LOT of evidence to support our relationship as my husband and I were penpals so literally our whole relationship pretty much had been documented haha.
I received my biometric letter about 4-6 weeks after initially filing I think it was.

Hope that helps!

Wishingonastar0 May 24th 2019 5:34 pm

And yes that was actually the annoying thing... I'd waited all that time for my advance parole to be expedited and then I couldn't even use it because I'd have missed my interview - typical! It was all okay in the end though. MY GC got approved on the spot (even though a lot of websites says it doesn't) and within 1hr received an email saying it had been approved, 2hrs later received an email saying my card was sent for printing and I received it about a week later so I just had my husband send it to me abroad in the post. Risky I know but thankfully it worked out! I had my advance parole with me just in case. USCIS told me my AP would only be cancelled as soon as someone had actually signed for the green card.

Sister Luck May 24th 2019 6:25 pm

Ahhh...I see. Yeah. They won't have any trouble at the GC interview. As was the case with my husband, we had years of documentation of a relationship. She's just stuck here in the States waiting on the GC and really would like to go to Sweden to help with her son's accident recovery.

They live in Orlando and package was mailed to Chicago and is being serviced the the National Benefits Center in Missouri. She did submit a letter along with her I-131, documenting some travel, but like you said, that didn't really do anything. She'll make some calls next week and see if she can make some traction. And I've been on Immihelp some, but will look for the section you describe.

Thanks again. I wish everyone a lovely holiday weekend!