Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130? Wanting to bring parents to US...

I-130? Wanting to bring parents to US...

Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

skruse812 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130? Wanting to bring parents to US...

I came originally to Houston in 1991 as an international student, but then married a US citizen and have my permanent residency (not a US citizen though). I am an only child and would love my parents to move here - they are ready to also. Not quite sure where to start - I printed off the app form for I-130 Petition for Alien Relative - not even sure if that was the right form. The main thing holding them back is the prospect of health care - they both have some medical issues - angina, diabetes, and are obviously concerned about how to make sure they would have medical care without being broke if anything serious was to happen. They also have quite a few pills that they take on a daily basis, so would need prescription coverage etc. Any ideas or suggestions to get us looking in the right places would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

Sarah
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130? Wanting to bring parents to US...

Originally Posted by skruse812
I came originally to Houston in 1991 as an international student, but then married a US citizen and have my permanent residency (not a US citizen though). I am an only child and would love my parents to move here - they are ready to also. Not quite sure where to start - I printed off the app form for I-130 Petition for Alien Relative - not even sure if that was the right form. The main thing holding them back is the prospect of health care - they both have some medical issues - angina, diabetes, and are obviously concerned about how to make sure they would have medical care without being broke if anything serious was to happen. They also have quite a few pills that they take on a daily basis, so would need prescription coverage etc. Any ideas or suggestions to get us looking in the right places would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

Sarah
Step one: Become a citizen if you can. Permanent residents can't sponsor their parents.

I wish you well with the other issues. I'm sure someone else will post about the medical aspect of the matter.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

So why would the I-130 have a section asking "are you a US citizen?" and if not have a place to complete information about being a "Lawful Permanent resident" (date and place of admission and class of admission). It seemed to me that you could still petition to bring your parents..... This is somewhat confusing - but then again we are talking immigration, so why should I be surprised

Thanks so much for responding!

Sarah
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you find a solution to the Medical question, please let everybody else know.

The form is used for several different categories.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

So why would the I-130 have a section asking "are you a US citizen?" and if not have a place to complete information about being a "Lawful Permanent resident" (date and place of admission and class of admission). It seemed to me that you could still petition to bring your parents..... This is somewhat confusing - but then again we are talking immigration, so why should I be surprised

Sarah
Because an LPR can only sponsor a limited class of family members under FB2 category.

Second: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents: 114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family preference level exceeds 226,000, and any unused first preference numbers:

A. Spouses and Children: 77% of the overall second preference limitation,
of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;

B. Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.
Parents can only be sponsored by US Citizens.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:43 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The immigration process can seem overwhelming, but you'll feel better after doing some reading.

There are two files on the site for the I-130. There is the I-130 form itself and also the instructions:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

"2. If you are a lawful permanent resident of United States, you may file this form for:
A. Your husband or wife;
B. Your unmarried child under age 21;
C. Your unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older
"

BTW. The form to apply for citizenship is the N-400.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

So I am assuming they cannot be sponsored by their son-in-law - right

Next question - many years ago, I looked into citizenship and at the time either the U.S. or Great Britain did not recognize dual citizenship - anyone know if that has changed?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:51 pm
crg
American Expat

The US sees people as a US citizen, or not a US citizen. They don't care how many other citizenships you hold when it comes to immigration matters. I heard that the UK is the same.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=skruse812;8717669]So I am assuming they cannot be sponsored by their son-in-law - right [QUOTE]
Correct.

Next question - many years ago, I looked into citizenship and at the time either the U.S. or Great Britain did not recognize dual citizenship - anyone know if that has changed?
You can be a dual USA/UK citizen with no problem.

Meanwhile, research health care in the USA for your parents.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The US doesn't officially recognize dual citizenship. However, the US does tolerate dual citizenship, but will deal with you only as a US citizen regardless of any other citizenship you might have. For a long time now, it has been possible to be a dual US/UK citizen.

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah
Family of Green Card Holders (Permanent Residents)

As a green card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You May Petition For The Following Family Members:

* Spouse (husband or wife)
* Unmarried children under 21
* Unmarried son or daughter of any age

Bringing Parents to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents

Eligibility

To bring your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as a permanent resident (green card holder), you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old.

Note: Permanent residents may not bring parents to live permanently in the United States.