Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 & waiting times....FAQ I know but help!

Wikiposts

I-130 & waiting times....FAQ I know but help!

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:45 am

AmberNickVN is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I-131 & waiting times....FAQ I know but help!

OK!

Again my background: Living in Florida, me=UK, wife= US citizen.

My parents just visited us and I'm desperate to be able to visit them for Christmas. I was about to file the I-131 today when I read the waiting time is going to be pretty hefty.

What was everyone else's waiting times for the I-131? Is there NO way what so ever that I can be home for Christmas? This is going to absolutely destroy my parents if I can't get this sorted

Last edited by AmberNickVN; Oct 3rd 2006 at 3:50 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 & waiting times....FAQ I know but help!

Redunant but why did you wait to the last minute to file?

You have no choice but to hurry up and file the I-131 and pray that you get it in time for the Christmas traveling season. If you are over the 90 days of waiting and it is close to travel time, you might want to make an infopass appointment and go with ticket in hand and receipt of mailing and received receipt from the USCIS and a copy of the I-131 you mailed and beg for an advance parole.

Originally Posted by AmberNickVN
OK!

My parents just visited us and I'm desperate to be able to visit them for Christmas. I was about to file the I-131 today when I read the waiting time is going to be pretty hefty.

What was everyone else's waiting times for the I-131? Is there NO way what so ever that I can be home for Christmas? This is going to absolutely destroy my parents if I can't get this sorted
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OK!

In our experience, we got the AP in 2 months, but that was a couple of years ago. Haven't really heard any recent timelines for the AP, but I'm thinking still around 2 - 3 months. All you can do is what Rete suggested. File, hope for the best, and if you don't have it by the time you want to travel, make an Infopass and try in person. No guarantees, though.

Make sure you ARE qualified to use AP. No previous overstays, etc.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:44 am

What is a re-entry permit then?

"Conditional residents use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more."

Sound a little different or am I just stupid as usual?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

"Conditional residents use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more."

Thats after you already have your green card... if you leave for more than a year, so that they'll let you back in without saying that you have abandoned your status of being a permanent resident.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-131 & waiting times....FAQ I know but help!

OK!

What's your current status? Didn't you come back on a K-3?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
What's your current status? Didn't you come back on a K-3?
Yep im on a k3 visa right now.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

If your K3 is still valid, you don't even need AP...
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

A K-3 is a multiple entry visa; you can come and go during the two years that it is valid.

You don't need AP, even if you have applied for AOS. Make sure you're back before the K-3 visa expires.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are NOT a resident so you can't use a re-enty permit plus you only are going for a holiday visit and even if you were a resident you won't need one because your visit outside of the US won't be a year or long.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:02 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by meauxna
A K-3 is a multiple entry visa; you can come and go during the two years that it is valid.

You don't need AP, even if you have applied for AOS. Make sure you're back before the K-3 visa expires.

Such a retentive memory ;-)