Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 vs K3, any advice please....

Wikiposts

I-130 vs K3, any advice please....

Old Dec 1st 2002, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie1977 is on a distinguished road
Default I-130 vs K3, any advice please....

Hi all,

Have few questions if anyone else can answer them to me. Comments and advice appreciated.

First, my K3 was approved Nov 19, and should be on way to Embassy in Pakistan, what will happen if the I-130 is approved also and still the K3 visa hasnt been issued? What if the I-130 is approved after my husband gets the Packet-3 and start everything? He will have to wait then no matter what for processing the I-130?

I am asking this, because I have notice that lately I-130 are being approved faster, and in my case, yest I read that I was mailed a notice for additional information, and as I was told that usually take few weeks after service center get the information for the I-130 to be process.

Second, how different will be the process for I-130 instead of K3? I mean which other documents will be require and how longer the process can be.

If someone can help to understand this I will really appreciate it, I am little bit confused how will be the process if I-130 get to embassy before my husband K3 is issued. Doesnt matter to me much which one goes there first, point is that we miss each other and want to be together soon.

Thankss

Regards,

Lizzie

PS. Please, excuse if I have grammatical errors, english is my second language and I am still learning how to write correctly.
Old Dec 1st 2002, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm far from an expert on the K-3. But from reading posts from people going through the process, it would appear that the documentation is virtually the very same documentation needed for the I-130 and the K-1. All of those visas require police clearance if applicable, medicals, long form birth certificates, interviews, etc. So if the I-130 were to be available why would you want to continue with the K-3. Especially considering the advantages to an approved I-130. You enter the US as a conditional/unconditional permanent resident. With the K Visa you have to shell out money and time for EAD's and filing for adjustment of status. All that is unnecessary with a completed I-130 from overseas.

Rete
Old Dec 1st 2002, 4:51 pm
Girard Bourque

Default Re: I-130 vs K3, any advice please....

Rete

One reason, the biggest for me, would be time. Most timelines that I have
seen on the k-3 shows the interview is anywheres from 1-2 months after
Missouri has approved the application. Right now it looks like I actually
have to delay our interview by a couple weeks, due to work commitments and
the holidays. But I should still have my wife and step-daughter here before
the 2 month mark. And that is after a planned 2 week stay in her home
country. The 130 is more time consuming. From what I have been told, it is
6 weeks before the NVC even sends out the first packages. Atleast 4-6
months (from 130 approval) before the consulate receives the package. Santo
Domingo is telling me that the 130 processing time for them is 3-4 months.
so you are talking 7 - 10 months if there are no problems. Basically I will
have our interview, after a 3 week delay, before they would have even sent
out the first package from the NVC.

My friends wife just arrived this past week. She went the 130 route. 2
year total time and the 130 accounted for 9 months of that.

Jerry