Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 in USE London - rejection experience?

Wikiposts

I-130 in USE London - rejection experience?

Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Debbie12345 is on a distinguished road
Default I-130 in USE London - rejection experience?

I'm a USC filing for my husband who is an Australian citizen. We had been living in London for 3 yrs and filed at the US Embassy there. My job transfer and pending birth of our first child is what prompted us to file at this time.

So, we filed mid-Sept using a US based attorney, through the US Embassy London given we had been residents.

I had to move back to the US for the transfer a few weeks ago because of the job, my husband is still in the UK.

The website indicated adjudicating (sp?) our application group about 2 weeks ago. My attorney said i didn't have to wait for the I-130 approval to move, but after reading these posts i'm a bit worried that we didn't get it approved before I moved. My lawyer also added a note in our application about my move in Oct and pending birth of our child so they would know i'm no longer there as a resident.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a rejection for filing through the US Embassy London (and thus sending us to the US based processing center) if we're going to get one? Do they do it right away or does it take just as long as the approval?

Really worried about anything putting us farther behind him coming here and being able to be with his child next April as I know the UK embassy is the FAST option which is entirely a joke in itself.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 in USE London - rejection experience?

To my knowledge, you do NOT have to remain in the UK once your I-130 is filed. You do not have to wait until it's approved. You can leave the UK anytime after filing it.

As for a rejection, from what I've seen on other threads here, a rejection will come within a couple of weeks after filing. They would return everything to you, including the fee, with a note saying to file it in the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It actually helps your case, now that you're in the USA, working there. Your domicile in the USA is now evident, and that's one of the biggest hurdles to overcome in a DCF case.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're moving back to the US ahead of your spouse will not cause a rejection of your petition. At least you are in the fast lane for financial sponsorship what with having a job and it helps tremendously with proving your desire to make the US your domicile.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

thank you both SO much! its very helpful reassurance for what is a stressful situation given the pregnancy especially. With some luck i should have some news to post in the next few weeks.

i love the hand turkey in your signature! i actually brough a thanksgiving tradition over to the UK and we have a hand turkey contest every year. i think its going to continue even without me!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbie12345
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a rejection for filing through the US Embassy London (and thus sending us to the US based processing center) if we're going to get one? Do they do it right away or does it take just as long as the approval?
If London won't accept your case, you are not charged $$ and you get your file & payment back in about 2 weeks.
If your money was taken, and you got a receipt notice from USCIS London, they have your I-130 & they're keeping it.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

We filed through a lawyer so i'll check with them including the payment.
This is a great tip for finding out!!

thanks so much!