I-130 questions.

Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:59 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future
Default Re: I-130 questions.

Hi John

We DCF'd last year through London. It was pretty much straight-forward...what we didn't understand on the embassy's website, we found from the helpful peeps of this forum!

Originally Posted by john26
I have read on the US consular website, that my wife will need W2 tax return forms for 3 years, but as she has lived here and worked here for nearly 5 years she has not got such papers.
When I filed my taxes while living in the UK, I just added up the year's takings, and converted to dollars. Along with the 1040s, she'll also need to file 2555-EZ, 'Foreign Earned Income Exclusion'.

Another thing that came to our attention is the fact that she has lived here so long, the consul will consider her to have given up her residency in the US.
Well, yeah, if she has a UK wife 'indefinite leave to remain' sticker in her passport

The affidavit of support mentions that we can use a joint sponsor if we fall below the poverty line rule, and we already have a joint sponsor if necessary.
As we used our house equity, we didn't need a joint sponsor, but I know from other posts that this is not a problem.

From that information, do you think that there will be a problem with our application? The whole thing seemed easy at first, but it now seems like a nightmare!
It can be daunting at times, but it's really not as nightmarish as it seems - honest! We'll try to help if we can!

V
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

john26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-130 questions.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Read everything the Londons Consulate's webspace says about 'domilicile'; that is going to be the issue. Then search some more.

Work, school for kids, banking, a US residence lined up etc are examples of ways to show that you plan on actually living in the US. Your wife should not have to go to the extreme of actually moving over ahead of you (although that is one remedy) but if her paperwork does not indicate some of these ties to the US, she could be asked to produce them. Or rather, you would, at your interview.
Thanks for all of the replies
I spoke to a lawyer this morning who was kind enough to give me free advice over the phone. All my worries are pretty much gone now. Apparantly, the London embassy is not too strict on the domicile issue, as actually paying for the fees and going through the procedure of immigration, pretty much satisfies them of intent to live over there. I will get more evidence though that you all suggested here, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you all for your help, MUCH appreciated.
John.