Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 processing moving from London to US?

Wikiposts

I-130 processing moving from London to US?

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Yoder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 processing moving from London to US?

Hi

It has been almost two months now since the consulation on moving I-130 processing from London (and other foreign locations) to the US. Does anyone have an update to this? The second link below is to the official summary.

There is some suggestion that this could lengthen the visa process: http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/whatsnew.htm

Summary:

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Outreach/...s%20I-130s.pdf

On November 9, 2010, USCIS hosted a teleconference to discuss proposed changes to the filing procedures for the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, when being filed by petitioners residing overseas. Jennifer Kliska, Chief of the International and Humanitarian Affairs Division in the Office of Policy & Strategy, explained that the Agency is reviewing options to have all Forms I-130 filed and adjudicated domestically. The review is examining the cost-effectiveness of continuing to have USCIS and Department of State resources overseas accept and adjudicate petitions for petitioners residing overseas versus having these petitions accepted and adjudicated by USCIS domestically. Ms. Kliska stated that more than 95% of all Forms I-130 are currently filed in the United States. Thus, it may make sense to bring all Form I-130 filings and adjudications stateside. Ms. Kliska also indicated that USCIS is in the preliminary stages of reviewing options and that there will not be immediate changes to the filing process. USCIS is looking at issues such as processing times, mailing documents from overseas, and customer service, and is also soliciting feedback from stakeholders prior to moving forward. The session was for USCIS to listen to the views and information of individual stakeholders. The session was not used for the purpose of obtaining group or consensus advice.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 processing moving from London to US?

It's only been a few of months, they often don't move very quickly on these things (then again, sometimes it seems to come out of the blue).

We discussed it at the time in this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695354 and I don't find any other updates posted at USCIS or AILA yet.

Interested parties can follow up with email:
Next Steps
USCIS will continue to examine individual stakeholder concerns to determine how best to move forward. In addition to reviewing filing procedures and adjudication location for the Form I-130, the Agency will be looking at procedures for all form types currently adjudicated outside the United States, to review resource and fiscal allocation. USCIS welcomes individual stakeholder feedback to better inform the Agency decision-making process. If stakeholders have additional questions or concerns please email [email protected].

The note from the usvisalawyers website is valid IMO:
"US citizens living in the United Kingdom and contemplating sponsoring their family members for immigrant visas at any point in 2011 or 2012 would be well advised to consider filing their petitions now, in advance of the change."