Reload this Page >

I-130 petition for a parent with child

I-130 petition for a parent with child

Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:49 am
Just Joined

hoihoaivay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 petition for a parent with child

Hello,
I am a US citizen. I want to file a petition for my mom to come live in the US. My mom has a daughter (my sister) that is 12 years old. Do I need to file a separate petition for my sister or is she automatically included in the petition for my mom? Please advise.

Thanks

Peter
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 petition for a parent with child

Originally Posted by hoihoaivay
Hello,
I am a US citizen. I want to file a petition for my mom to come live in the US. My mom has a daughter (my sister) that is 12 years old. Do I need to file a separate petition for my sister or is she automatically included in the petition for my mom? Please advise.
Thanks Peter
Separate filing..
Your mother petition will come up quickly ...
Your sisters many more years hence...

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_3219.html
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks

Peter
Your sister will not be included in the petition for your mom. Your mom is the immediate relative of a USC and will have a visa number available to her immediately -- meaning she can come pretty quickly, usually within a year when all is said and done. Your sister is in the fourth family preference category -- sibling of a USC. There is a long wait for a visa number in this category. The current wait is 11-13 years (google "visa bulletin" if you want to keep tabs on the wait time and priority dates). Your sister will not be able to immigrate until her priority date becomes current, which is currently taking 11-13 years.

There are two options:
1) You file for your sister, wait until her priority date is current, and when a visa number is available to her, file for your mother at that time. They both immigrate together in an estimated 11-13 years' time.
2) You file for your mother and she immigrates to the US first. Your mother then files for your sister in category 2A, spouses and children of LPRs. Wait time in this category is 5-6 years currently. When your mother becomes a USC (in 5 years if all goes well) she can file for your sister/her child as her immediate relative (IR of a USC) -- presuming your sister is still under age 21 at that time.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

hoihoaivay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies. I heard it is possible for my sister to enter the US with a student visa (F1). Can my sister later file an Adjustment of Status?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies. I heard it is possible for my sister to enter the US with a student visa (F1). Can my sister later file an Adjustment of Status?
Only if she marries a USC.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, when your petition's priority date comes up, assuming she maintains legal status that entire time.

Or marriage to a USC.