British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-130 Petition Approval (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-130-petition-approval-932822/)

Nsb25 May 23rd 2020 5:41 am

I-130 Petition Approval

Hello
My husbands I-130 was approved on Dec 28th 2019.
We had intended to move back to TX around April this year but virus ruined that.. we are now planning to hopefullly move back between Nov 2020 and
April 2021 depending on being allowed to travel without quarantine and safety of traveling.

Does the I-130 expire? Would we have to go thru it all again or because of the world situation will he be given an extension if the I-130 does expire???

Help please....
Thanks

stuwoolf May 23rd 2020 8:18 am

Re: I-130 Petition Approval

Originally Posted by Nsb25 (Post 12856774)
Hello
We had intended to move back to TX around April this year but virus ruined that.. we are now planning to hopefullly move back between Nov 2020 and
April 2021 depending on being allowed to travel without quarantine and safety of traveling.

Does the I-130 expire? Would we have to go thru it all again or because of the world situation will he be given an extension if the I-130 does expire???

Help please....
Thanks

From the date of Medical, isnt there a 6 months window to "cash in" the Visa? Also I seem to recall reading that this window can be extended in certain circumstances by contacting US Immigratuon?

Alternatively, is it not feasible to fly in and activate the visa then, soon after, return to UK? I understand that is a possible option?

I am sure much more informed opinion will respond to you and verify or (more likely) correct what I have offered.

Good luck.

os306 May 23rd 2020 9:40 am

Hello

Help please....
Thanks

Approved I-130 petitions don't carry a fixed expiration date. In certain (uncommon) situations petitions may be revoked by USCIS if the petitioner passes away, withdraws the petition or divorces the beneficiary.

Since it sounds like you haven't attended your Medical appointment (which has a 6-month time frame from the time you attend as stuwoolf pointed out) you should be fine.

Nsb25 May 23rd 2020 11:01 am

We are aware of the 6 month medical time frame... we were going to do that and the interview prior to moving but virus stopped us...

Thanks for the info about the I-130... males once less thing to worry about !!!

os306 May 23rd 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Nsb25 (Post 12856823)
We are aware of the 6 month medical time frame... we were going to do that and the interview prior to moving but virus stopped us...

Thanks for the info about the I-130... males once less thing to worry about !!!

No problem. If you and your spouse are looking to move ASAP it may be worth trying to book your medical and visa interview, assuming you have all your documents ready. Apparently there were some slots that opened up in July, so you may be in luck.

stuwoolf May 23rd 2020 12:27 pm

This is something new for me.

It looks like when approval for i-130 is received there is no urgency or prerequisite to quickly book a Medical appointment or the subsequent Interview appointment. I wasn't aware of this. Every day is a school day.

Thanks

Good luck, everyone.

os306 May 23rd 2020 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by stuwoolf (Post 12856870)
This is something new for me.

It looks like when approval for i-130 is received there is no urgency or prerequisite to quickly book a Medical appointment or the subsequent Interview appointment. I wasn't aware of this. Every day is a school day.

Thanks

Good luck, everyone.

Correct. Makes me wish we had sent off our petition before Christmas and had it all approved quickly (as the London Field Office was achieving a 30-day processing time back then). Oh well. You live and you learn!

stuwoolf May 23rd 2020 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by os306 (Post 12856878)
Correct. Makes me wish we had sent off our petition before Christmas and had it all approved quickly (as the London Field Office was achieving a 30-day processing time back then). Oh well. You live and you learn!

Snap!....hey ho

It all seems so much different to the UK Immigration system. Once the ball starts rolling ya better keep up or you can go back and start all over again.

lansbury May 23rd 2020 8:55 pm

Hello

Help please....
Thanks

The I-130 doesn't expire but presumably the Embassy have given you your London case number. Don't let 12 months elapse without contacting the Embassy to say you are still proceeding, but are delayed because of the virus.