Reload this Page >

I-130 petition approval

Wikiposts

I-130 petition approval

Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:56 am
Just Joined

aui82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 petition approval

Hi, My husband's a permanent resident in USA and me and my son are currently in Pakistan. As far as i understand, my husband must file an I-130 application for me and my son and wait for its approval. Once the approval is obtained, i will then be issued an immigrant visa.

Now, as we know, processing time for obtaining immigrant visa for spouses of permanent resident is very long and is much quicker for US citizens. Since, an I-130 application needs to be first approved, regardless of whether my husband is a GC holder or a US citizen, is it possible that my husband file for my I-130 right now, as a GC holder, and then apply for adjustment of status for my I-130 once he obtains his citizenship.

My arguement is that the time that it takes for my husband to become a citizen can be used to atleast get the I-130 approved. Will this make the overall process faster as oposed to filing once my husband obtains his citizenship.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 petition approval

Originally Posted by aui82
Hi, My husband's a permanent resident in USA and me and my son are currently in Pakistan. As far as i understand, my husband must file an I-130 application for me and my son and wait for its approval. Once the approval is obtained, i will then be issued an immigrant visa.

Now, as we know, processing time for obtaining immigrant visa for spouses of permanent resident is very long and is much quicker for US citizens. Since, an I-130 application needs to be first approved, regardless of whether my husband is a GC holder or a US citizen, is it possible that my husband file for my I-130 right now, as a GC holder, and then apply for adjustment of status for my I-130 once he obtains his citizenship.

My arguement is that the time that it takes for my husband to become a citizen can be used to atleast get the I-130 approved. Will this make the overall process faster as oposed to filing once my husband obtains his citizenship.
Hi Aui, Welcome to BE.

Yes, your husband can and should (in my opinion) file an I-130 for you and an I-130 for your son, while he is a PR. This at least gets you a place in line. That way, if for some reason his US Citizenship is postponed, you still have the I-130 in the system and will proceeed from there.

The I-130 will eventually get approved, but as you know, nothing will happen with your case until a visa number becomes available to you (currently about a 5-year wait for spouse of a US PR).

If your husband becomes a USC in the meantime, he can then upgrade the I-130 petition so that you will become the spouse of a USC, and a visa number will be immediately available to you, so that your case can start processing and you'll get an Immigrant Visa hopefully in less than a year, if you don't run into Administrative Processing after the visa interview.

Your only error in your post seems to be the reference to "adjustment of status". You won't be adjusting status, you'll be applying for an Immigrant Visa.

When will your husband be eligible for naturalization?

Best Wishs,
Rene
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:17 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

a,

Not quite. When the I-130s are approved, and when your priority date becomes current, you and your son can apply for an immigrant visas. I-130 is not a visa application.

Your husband must file two I-130 petitions - one each for you and for your (his also?) son.

Regards, JEff

Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Aui, Welcome to BE.

Yes, your husband can and should (in my opinion) file an I-130 for you and an I-130 for your son, while he is a PR. This at least gets you a place in line. That way, if for some reason his US Citizenship is postponed, you still have the I-130 in the system and will proceeed from there.

The I-130 will eventually get approved, but as you know, nothing will happen with your case until a visa number becomes available to you (currently about a 5-year wait for spouse of a US PR).

If your husband becomes a USC in the meantime, he can then upgrade the I-130 petition so that you will become the spouse of a USC, and a visa number will be immediately available to you, so that your case can start processing and you'll get an Immigrant Visa hopefully in less than a year, if you don't run into Administrative Processing after the visa interview.

Your only error in your post seems to be the reference to "adjustment of status". You won't be adjusting status, you'll be applying for an Immigrant Visa.

When will your husband be eligible for naturalization?

Best Wishs,
Rene

Hi Rene,

Thanks a lot for your response. What i meant by adjustment of status was what you have mentioned as upgrade of my I-130 petition.

My husband will be filing for his naturalization next month from California.

Furthermore, can you tell me the procedure to upgrade the status of my I-130 petition. Also, how long do you think will it take my I-130 application to be upgraded once my husband gets his citizenship.

If for instance, my I-130 does not get approved by the time my husband becomes a citizen, will it actually cause an unnecessary delay to upgrade and would it then have been quicker to file after my husband's citizenship.

As i understand, after the approval of your I-130 your application is with the NVC. Will it cause any processing delay to upgrade my status with the NVC.

Thanks again for your reply. It was really very helpful.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Yes Jeff, I understand that two I-130 petitions will have to be filed for me and our son.

My point only is that if i can have the I-130s approved by the time my husband becomes a citizen, we will just have to wait for our priority date to become current. Hence, if the upgrade of petition does not take any extra time, we can expedite the process by applying for our I-130s now.

Thanks,

AUI

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
a,

Not quite. When the I-130s are approved, and when your priority date becomes current, you and your son can apply for an immigrant visas. I-130 is not a visa application.

Your husband must file two I-130 petitions - one each for you and for your (his also?) son.

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:42 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

a,

My point is that you seem to need to learn more about the steps in the immigration process.
- You asked if you would be issued your visa when the petition is approved. You won't.
- You asked about adjusting status. You won't.

Regards, JEff

My point only is that if i can have the I-130s approved by the time my husband becomes a citizen, we will just have to wait for our priority date to become current. Hence, if the upgrade of petition does not take any extra time, we can expedite the process by applying for our I-130s now.

Thanks,

AUI
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband will be filing for his naturalization next month from California.
It has normally been taking about 6 months or so for naturalization. However, if your husband is also Pakistani, he might be involved in lengthy security checks, which could delay the process for him. So it's a very good idea for him to the the I-130s in the system, so they will be in place if his naturalization takes longer.

Furthermore, can you tell me the procedure to upgrade the status of my I-130 petition.
Your husband would notify NVC, or the service center, depending on where the I-130 is at the time he becomes a USC.

Also, how long do you think will it take my I-130 application to be upgraded once my husband gets his citizenship.
To my knowledge, once NVC knows of his new USC status, the upgrade happens immediately.

If for instance, my I-130 does not get approved by the time my husband becomes a citizen, will it actually cause an unnecessary delay to upgrade and would it then have been quicker to file after my husband's citizenship.
No, it should not cause any delays. Your case will already be in the system, and the petition is simply upgraded to spouse and child of USC instead of spouse and child of PR.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Jeff, I am just asking if i can expedite the entire immigration process by filing for the I-130s as spouses of LPR and atleast obtaining the approval now and then upgrading the status of the petition after my husband's naturalisation.

I hope i have explained my question better now.

Regards,

AUI

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
a,

My point is that you seem to need to learn more about the steps in the immigration process.
- You asked if you would be issued your visa when the petition is approved. You won't.
- You asked about adjusting status. You won't.

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rene,

That's all i needed to know. Bless you...

Regards,

AUI

It has normally been taking about 6 months or so for naturalization. However, if your husband is also Pakistani, he might be involved in lengthy security checks, which could delay the process for him. So it's a very good idea for him to the the I-130s in the system, so they will be in place if his naturalization takes longer.

Your husband would notify NVC, or the service center, depending on where the I-130 is at the time he becomes a USC.

To my knowledge, once NVC knows of his new USC status, the upgrade happens immediately.

No, it should not cause any delays. Your case will already be in the system, and the petition is simply upgraded to spouse and child of USC instead of spouse and child of PR.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:56 am

Jeff, I am just asking if i can expedite the entire immigration process by filing for the I-130s as spouses of LPR and atleast obtaining the approval now and then upgrading the status of the petition after my husband's naturalisation.

Regards,

AUI
It doesn't really "expedite" the process....but it does help to have your petition already in line, so that when he becomes a USC it's upgraded, rather than starting the whole I-130 petition phase AFTER he becomes a USC.

For example, what if he's stuck in security checks for 2 years, waiting for his naturalization to happen? At least your petition will be in place during that time, just waiting.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Got it. Thanks

AUI

It doesn't really "expedite" the process....but it does help to have your petition already in line, so that when he becomes a USC it's upgraded, rather than starting the whole I-130 petition phase AFTER he becomes a USC.

For example, what if he's stuck in security checks for 2 years, waiting for his naturalization to happen? At least your petition will be in place during that time, just waiting.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:05 am

a,

You have.

And as R has explained, getting a place in line can be helpful so by all means do it.

Regards, JEff

Regards,

AUI
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Did you marry before or after your husband obtained LPR status?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:30 am

Ouch!

Who was it who was asking earlier today why one might want to use an attorney? Reason #4, they know what questions to ask.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Hi, Folinskyinla

We were married after my husband got LPR status. Does it make any difference though..

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.