Wikiposts

I-130 payment help

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Curlz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I-130 payment help

Hello Everybody,

My husband (UK Citizen), and I (US Citizen) are planning on moving to the States. We have filled out the I-130, and have all of the paperwork ready to be sent out to the embassy in London. We have set aside the money we need to pay for it, but we have found is actually how to pay for it. The other week we tried to apply for a credit card to pay for it, but it seems our flat that we live in has been blacklisted because of a previous tenant so no banks will give us one. The other options listed are:

U.S. Cashier's Check, U.S. Dollar Money Order, or International Bank Draft

I have absolutly no clue how to get any of the above while living in the U.K. I do have an American bank account still active, but I only have a debit card for that and they won't except those. So, my first question is how do I go about obtaining any of the above in the UK? Secondly, if all else fails, I do have an American bank account still active, but could I get any of those while I'm living abroad?

Also, Today, I spoke to a person at the Post Office and he said that travelers checks were classified as money orders. Is this true and would I be able to use these? I read on the methods of payment that travelers checks weren't accepted, but is this different for some reason?

Thanks for any help!
~Curlz
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 payment help

hmmm. They're pretty firm about it, aren't they?

No other forms or payment will be accepted
(no cash, no personal checks, no travelers checks, no debit cards)

Is there someone in the US who could get a money order and post it over to you? It seems awfully extreme, but I'm drawing a blank otherwise.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From their website, here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

There is a form for credit card payment. Perhaps someone you know would be kind enough to use their credit card, and you can pay them back?

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

meauxna
hmmm. They're pretty firm about it, aren't they?

No other forms or payment will be accepted
(no cash, no personal checks, no travelers checks, no debit cards)

Is there someone in the US who could get a money order and post it over to you? It seems awfully extreme, but I'm drawing a blank otherwise.
I'm sure my mom would be more than willing to help us out , but I really didn't want to go that way unless there was no other option on this end.

Noorah101
From their website, here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

There is a form for credit card payment. Perhaps someone you know would be kind enough to use their credit card, and you can pay them back?

Rene
I have thought and tried that too. The only person who could have done it for us was my mother-in-law, she has a mastercard credit card, but when we went to bank and asked today they said that we couldn't use it to pay for this even though it was being switched into dollars, yet you can use it abroad!! I didn't believe them, so we called up customer services, and they said the same thing!

~Curlz
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Have you asked at your own bank about getting an International Bank Draft through them? Or a US Dollar money order?

We have our moms in the US for a reason; they can be very useful!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all of your help! We've got it all sorted and sent off now!!

Take Care,
~Curlz
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:37 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

C,

Your solution to the problem was ?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Curlz

Take Care,
~Curlz
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

jeffreyhy
C,

Your solution to the problem was ?

Regards, JEff
After all of my stressing, my mother-in-law found a credit card that she forgot that she had! She phoned them, and it so happens that we could use it in the way that we needed to. So, all of the worry wasn't necessary, but it's better to be prepared for the the worst case situation I suppose.

~Curlz
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:05 am

Take Care,
~Curlz
W00t! On your way now.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:11 am
Just Joined

meauxna
Quote:

Take Care,
~Curlz

W00t! On your way now.
Yes, and it's sooooooooo exciting!!!! Hopefully all goes well for us!

~Curlz
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:29 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

C,

Thanks. Your experience may help someone else who finds themself in a similar situation.

Regards, JEff

After all of my stressing, my mother-in-law found a credit card that she forgot that she had! She phoned them, and it so happens that we could use it in the way that we needed to. So, all of the worry wasn't necessary, but it's better to be prepared for the the worst case situation I suppose.

~Curlz