I-130 NAME CHANGE

Old Mar 1st 2022, 1:35 am
Just Joined

TakeTheSky1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 NAME CHANGE

Just a quick one guys:

i am filling in the form to bring my spouse to the US; we were married about a week ago so my name is yet to be changed legally. We want to start the I-130 process ASAP so should I wait till I have a new social security card with my married surname before starting the process or should I just continue with my maiden name?

I appreciate any any help or advice!
Old Mar 1st 2022, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 NAME CHANGE

You already have the legal right to use your husband's surname if you so choose.

Start the I-130 with whatever surname you wish. Your marriage certificate will attest to the fact that you changed your surname due to marriage.
Old Mar 1st 2022, 4:17 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You already have the legal right to use your husband's surname if you so choose.

Start the I-130 with whatever surname you wish. Your marriage certificate will attest to the fact that you changed your surname due to marriage.
That was my first reaction to the post. Then I wondered if the name change was other than simple adoption of husband’s surname. I wonder how that would be handled.
Old Mar 1st 2022, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope the name change was accounted for on the marriage certificate..
Old Mar 1st 2022, 8:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Let's hope the name change was accounted for on the marriage certificate..
???????????????????????
Old Mar 1st 2022, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

???????????????????????
I couldn't remember what we (or my wife, specifically) had to do for this. Maybe nothing, to long ago!
Old Mar 1st 2022, 10:34 pm
Concierge

If you were married in the US, then there is nothing for the female spouse to do other than apply to have their surname changed at social security administration, motor vehicle department, credit card company, etc. That is if she wants to. Otherwise she can use one surname in one place and another in another place, i.e. bank accounts in maiden and married surnames, etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 11:51 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TakeTheSky1138
Just a quick one guys:

i am filling in the form to bring my spouse to the US; we were married about a week ago so my name is yet to be changed legally. We want to start the I-130 process ASAP so should I wait till I have a new social security card with my married surname before starting the process or should I just continue with my maiden name?

I appreciate any any help or advice!
If you were married a week ago was your name not changed then? In NYC it was on the marriage lisence that signed when the marriage was solemnized. There was a section for both of us to put a new sure name if we wanted.

It took a week or 2 to get the marriage certificate back, but it’s my understanding that the name change took place when the lisence was signed.

So while you can use it right away, in practical terms updating things happens after you get back the certificate as evidence of that change.

We did some quickly, but waited on others like my wife’s passport because we had the main honeymoon booked late that year due to the rainy season in Maldives and her ticket was booked in her maiden name.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht
If you were married a week ago was your name not changed then? In NYC it was on the marriage lisence that signed when the marriage was solemnized. There was a section for both of us to put a new sure name if we wanted.

It took a week or 2 to get the marriage certificate back, but it’s my understanding that the name change took place when the lisence was signed.

So while you can use it right away, in practical terms updating things happens after you get back the certificate as evidence of that change.

We did some quickly, but waited on others like my wife’s passport because we had the main honeymoon booked late that year due to the rainy season in Maldives and her ticket was booked in her maiden name.
This was my point, made badly. Hope they accounted for the name change then, or its time to dig out some $$$
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 11:14 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you get married? In the UK there is no "name change" section on the marriage cert but you can use your new married name immediately or later or not at all as you so wish from that point forward. I have no knowledge of US marriage certs or licenses.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 11:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Where did you get married? In the UK there is no "name change" section on the marriage cert but you can use your new married name immediately or later or not at all as you so wish from that point forward. I have no knowledge of US marriage certs or licenses.

I have had both UK and NYS marriage certificates; neither said anything about a name change. It’s a matter of personal choice after the fact.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 12:47 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I have had both UK and NYS marriage certificates; neither said anything about a name change. It’s a matter of personal choice after the fact.
The marriage certificate is considered evidence of permission for married women to use husband’s name without further documentation.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 1:07 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Since marriage rules are very local in the US, I assume there is a lot of variance, just like there is in things like if it’s legal to marry your first cousins…

My own NYC marriage lisence/marriage certificate both had a specific field for both parties for the name after marriage. I have only been married once, but have also officiated 2, 1 wedding in the Hamptons, that one had the fields for an new name, but both grooms kept their own names. I officiated another wedding in a county near Austin Texas and that wedding lisence did not include a field for a new name. What was also different there was that only I signed the license after I solemnized the rites of matrimony, while I am used to the couple also signing.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 4:05 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I have two NYS marriage certificates. One is from 1968 obtained in NYC and the other from 1998 obtained in a suburb of NYC. Neither have any language about a name change or an area to indicate your choice of surname.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 12:40 pm
tht

I have two NYS marriage certificates. One is from 1968 obtained in NYC and the other from 1998 obtained in a suburb of NYC. Neither have any language about a name change or an area to indicate your choice of surname.
things have obviously changed in the past 24-54 years as noted below and as can be seen here:
https://images.app.goo.gl/zQ3gsBfZJt7ftJjYA
And even if a marriage certificate does not show the field for a new surname the lisence may, as that’s completed before the wedding and the marriage certificate is evidence of the marriages recording after the fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.