I-130 and K3 visa

Old Apr 30th 2023, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

cebrUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 and K3 visa

Im looking for advice on moving to the US please. My American boyfriend (42) and I (44) are looking to get married in the US July 2023. I currently live in the UK with my 2 daughters (12 and 14) and he lives in the US.

I know I can get married in the US on the VWP, and then I have to leave. At this point my understanding is that my partner can then apply for an I-130 visa once he has our marriage certificate (in addition to other paperwork).

My questions are:

How long does this usually take?
Can i live in the USA while it’s processing?
Is it worth applying for a K3 visa in the meantime to get myself and my daughters over the the US?

My hope is that I can get over to the US to live with my girls and new spouse as soon as possible as living apart is no longer something we are happy doing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 30th 2023, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 and K3 visa

The K-3 visa is more or less redundant as timescales have changed for the I-130.

Patience, patience.....
Old Apr 30th 2023, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The K-3 visa is more or less redundant as timescales have changed for the I-130.

Patience, patience.....
Do you have any idea how long the I-130 takes now? I just want an idea for planning .. no clue if it’s a few months or years …
Old Apr 30th 2023, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cebrUS
Do you have any idea how long the I-130 takes now? I just want an idea for planning .. no clue if it’s a few months or years …
12-18 months as a very rough guide for the process. You can't move without a visa allowing you to do so, but you can visit whilst it's being processed.

Good luck.
Old May 1st 2023, 6:57 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I would bank on 18 months and be delighted if it's shorter. Many of us did it, you just have to patient. Your situation is not unique.

And no, you cannot live in the US without a visa to do so. You can visit using the VWP if otherwise eligible.
Old May 1st 2023, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
12-18 months as a very rough guide for the process. You can't move without a visa allowing you to do so, but you can visit whilst it's being processed.

Good luck.
Brill, thanks. That’s helpful!