I-130 and K3 questions

Old Sep 11th 2002, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Karim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 and K3 questions

Hi. My wife and I are in the process of completing the required forms for our I-130 (and K3) visa applications. I have a couple of questions for those who have gone through the process. My questions are listed below. I apologize ahead of time if they are redundant or too simplistic. I'm just trying to avoid any unnecessary delay.

Re: I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

Section A:

Q1. If questions 2 ("Are you related by adoption?") and 3 ("Did you gain permanent residence through adoption?") do not apply, will it be acceptable to not check either box and write "N/A" next to each question?

Section C:

Q1. In question 17 ("List husband/wife and all children of your relative."), would it be appropriate for us to list my wife (as I, her husband, am the alien relative)?

General I-130 question(s):

Q1. When supplying supporting documentation (i.e. passports, birth certificates and marriage certificate), are regular photocopies of each acceptable or do they need to be certified true copies by a notary?

Q2. When putting the whole package together (based on INS specs), did you tab every single item at the bottom?

Q3. In the accompanying cover letter, do you feel it is appropriate (required) to mention that our I-130 application is in connection with a K3 visa application?

Re: G-325A Biographic Information

Q1. In the G-325A form for the U.S. citizen (the I-130 petitioner), where it asks "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", would it be appropriate for my wife to check "OTHER" and write "I-130 Petition for Alien Relative"? Also, I am assuming the "Applicant" box at the bottom is completed by the respective person whose biographic info is being requested (i.e. one set of forms to be completed by my wife and the other by me). Is this correct?

Q2. In the G-325A form for the alien relative (I-130 beneficiary), in the field which requests "APPLICANT'S LAST ADDRESS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES OF MORE THAN ONE YEAR", do I state my address in Vancouver where I have resided for a year or more (I am living in Vancouver and my wife lives in L.A.)? Also, in the same form where it asks to "Show last occupation abroad if not shown above", do I list my current employer in Canada (or cross-reference information from above)?

Q3. Where it asks "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", do I simply check "STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT"?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
K.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 2:30 pm
bba1vol

Default Re: I-130 and K3 questions

call your congressman his office will help you

Old Sep 11th 2002, 5:30 pm
News.Rcn.Com

These are simple questions..

"Karim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi. My wife and I are in the process of completing the required forms for our
    > I-130 (and K3) visa applications. I have a couple of questions for those who have
    > gone through the process. My questions are listed below. I apologize ahead of
    > time if they are redundant or too simplistic. I'm just trying to avoid any
    > unnecessary delay.
    > Re: I-130 Petition for Alien Relative
    > Section A:
    > Q1. If questions 2 ("Are you related by adoption?") and 3 ("Did you gain permanent
    > residence through adoption?") do not apply, will it be acceptable to not check
    > either box and write "N/A" next to each question?
    > Section C:
    > Q2. In question 17 ("List husband/wife and all children of your relative."), would
    > it be appropriate for us to list my wife (as I, her husband, am the alien
    > relative)?
    > General I-130 question(s):
    > Q3. When supplying supporting documentation (i.e. passports, birth certificates and
    > marriage certificate), are regular photocopies of each acceptable or do they
    > need to be certified true copies by a notary?
    > Q4. When putting the whole package together (based on INS specs), did you tab every
    > single item at the bottom?
    > Q5. In the accompanying cover letter, do you feel it is appropriate (required) to
    > mention that our I-130 application is in connection with a K3 visa application?
    > Re: G-325A Biographic Information
    > Q6. In the G-325A form for the U.S. citizen (the I-130 petitioner), where it asks
    > "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", would it be
    > appropriate for my wife to check "OTHER" and write "I-130 Petition for Alien
    > Relative"? Also, I am assuming the "Applicant" box at the bottom is completed
    > by the respective person whose biographic info is being requested (i.e. one set
    > of forms to be completed by my wife and the other by me). Is this correct?
    > Q7. In the G-325A form for the alien relative (I-130 beneficiary), in the field
    > which requests "APPLICANT'S LAST ADDRESS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES OF MORE THAN
    > ONE YEAR", do I state my address in Vancouver where I have resided for a year
    > or more (I am living in Vancouver and my wife lives in L.A.)? Also, in the same
    > form where it asks to "Show last occupation abroad if not shown above", do I
    > list my current employer in Canada (or cross-reference information from above)?
    >Q8. Where it asks "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", do I
    > simply check "STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT"?
    > Thank you in advance for all your help.
    > R.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 11th 2002, 11:19 pm
Donna Herboth

Hi Karim!

I'll attempt to answer your "simple questions". I remember wondering if we were
answering this stuff correctly when we filed.... and we're now waiting to find out
the interview date, so obviously we did ok.

Answer to 1) I simply checked the no boxes for the related by adoption and permanent
residence through adoption questions.

Answer to 2) What this asks for is to list the husband/ wife and all children of
your relative. In parenthesis, it says "if your relative is your husband/wife, list
only his or her children". In my case, my husband has no children so I wrote "none"
in this space.

Answer to 3) We sent in photocopies of the required supporting documents. As far as
I know, the originals will need to be shown at the interview.

Answer to 4) No, we did not tab anything. Our case is pretty straight forward and
since I was applying for my husband only, the packet was pretty slim.

Answer to 5) I did not make mention that this I-130 was in connection with the K-3
in our cover letter. I just made mention of what was enclosed in our original
submission of paperwork and mentioned my husband's name, where we were married, and
when. I also signed my full name. From what I understand, always use your full
name. If you have a middle name, spell it out, don't just use your middle initial.
This could have changed...... I've also read that the service centers don't read the
cover letters anyway.

Answer to 6) I am the USC. On my G-325A I marked the "status as permanent resident
box". I signed the form and in the box on the bottom of the form I put in my full
name and under "alien registration number" I put in "none".

Answer to 7 and 8) My husband, on his G-325A, wrote his current address for his "last
address outside the US of more than one year". And for the "show below last
occupation abroad if not shown above" he wrote "N/A". He marked the "status as
permanent resident" box on his G-325A.

I hope that this helps. If we were right or wrong on this stuff, I don't know, but
like I said, our petition was approved, my husband has had his physical, and now
we're waiting for the interview date. Good luck to you!

Donna

news.rcn.com wrote:

> These are simple questions..
    > "Karim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Hi. My wife and I are in the process of completing the required forms for our
    > > I-130 (and K3) visa applications. I have a couple of questions for those who
    > > have gone through the process. My questions are listed below. I apologize ahead
    > > of time if they are redundant or too simplistic. I'm just trying to avoid any
    > > unnecessary delay.
    > >
    > > Re: I-130 Petition for Alien Relative
    > >
    > > Section A:
    > >
    > > Q1. If questions 2 ("Are you related by adoption?") and 3 ("Did you gain
    > > permanent residence through adoption?") do not apply, will it be acceptable
    > > to not check either box and write "N/A" next to each question?
    > >
    > > Section C:
    > >
    > > Q2. In question 17 ("List husband/wife and all children of your relative."),
    > > would it be appropriate for us to list my wife (as I, her husband, am the
    > > alien relative)?
    > >
    > > General I-130 question(s):
    > >
    > > Q3. When supplying supporting documentation (i.e. passports, birth certificates
    > > and marriage certificate), are regular photocopies of each acceptable or do
    > > they need to be certified true copies by a notary?
    > >
    > > Q4. When putting the whole package together (based on INS specs), did you tab
    > > every single item at the bottom?
    > >
    > > Q5. In the accompanying cover letter, do you feel it is appropriate (required) to
    > > mention that our I-130 application is in connection with a K3 visa
    > > application?
    > >
    > > Re: G-325A Biographic Information
    > >
    > > Q6. In the G-325A form for the U.S. citizen (the I-130 petitioner), where it asks
    > > "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", would it be
    > > appropriate for my wife to check "OTHER" and write "I-130 Petition for Alien
    > > Relative"? Also, I am assuming the "Applicant" box at the bottom is completed
    > > by the respective person whose biographic info is being requested (i.e. one
    > > set of forms to be completed by my wife and the other by me). Is this
    > > correct?
    > >
    > > Q7. In the G-325A form for the alien relative (I-130 beneficiary), in the field
    > > which requests "APPLICANT'S LAST ADDRESS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES OF MORE
    > > THAN ONE YEAR", do I state my address in Vancouver where I have resided for a
    > > year or more (I am living in Vancouver and my wife lives in L.A.)? Also, in
    > > the same form where it asks to "Show last occupation abroad if not shown
    > > above", do I list my current employer in Canada (or cross-reference
    > > information from above)?
    > >
    > >Q8. Where it asks "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", do
    > > I simply check "STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT"?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for all your help.
    > > R.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Old Sep 11th 2002, 11:56 pm
Andy Platt

"Karim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi. My wife and I are in the process of completing the required forms for our
    > I-130 (and K3) visa applications. I have a couple of questions for those who have
    > gone through the process. My questions are listed below. I apologize ahead of
    > time if they are redundant or too simplistic. I'm just trying to avoid any
    > unnecessary delay.

Mostly they are very simple.

> Re: I-130 Petition for Alien Relative
    > Section A:
    > Q1. If questions 2 ("Are you related by adoption?") and 3 ("Did you gain permanent
    > residence through adoption?") do not apply, will it be acceptable to not check
    > either box and write "N/A" next to each question?

Do not answer N/A - these questions *do* apply. The answer is either yes or no as
appropriate.

> Q2. In question 17 ("List husband/wife and all children of your relative."), would
    > it be appropriate for us to list my wife (as I, her husband, am the alien
    > relative)?

If you are the alien, you are not filling this form out; your wife is. Therefore
this section would be talking about *your* relatives, including your wife who is
filing for you.

> Q3. When supplying supporting documentation (i.e. passports, birth certificates and
    > marriage certificate), are regular photocopies of each acceptable or do they
    > need to be certified true copies by a notary?

Just photocopies.

> Q6. In the G-325A form for the U.S. citizen (the I-130 petitioner), where it asks
    > "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", would it be
    > appropriate for my wife to check "OTHER" and write "I-130 Petition for Alien
    > Relative"? Also, I am assuming the "Applicant" box at the bottom is completed
    > by the respective person whose biographic info is being requested (i.e. one set
    > of forms to be completed by my wife and the other by me). Is this correct?

Status as permanent resident is fine to check; yes, one for you and one for
your wife.

> Q7. In the G-325A form for the alien relative (I-130 beneficiary), in the field
    > which requests "APPLICANT'S LAST ADDRESS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES OF MORE THAN
    > ONE YEAR", do I state my address in Vancouver where I have resided for a year
    > or more (I am living in Vancouver and my wife lives in L.A.)? Also, in the same
    > form where it asks to "Show last occupation abroad if not shown above", do I
    > list my current employer in Canada (or cross-reference information from above)?

Yes put your current address and yes put your current employer.

>Q8. Where it asks "THIS FORM IS SUBMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH APPLICATION FOR:", do I
    > simply check "STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT"?

Yes.

The other questions are completely up to you - there's no right or wrong answer.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Sep 12th 2002, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Karim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your time and patience. This immigration business really breeds a lot of uncertainty and second guessing. Your suggestions, however, are much appreciated.

All the best,
Karim