British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   I-130 interview in London Thursday 8th August 2002 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/i-130-interview-london-thursday-8th-august-2002-a-91303/)

S.M. Aug 6th 2002 11:20 am

I-130 interview in London Thursday 8th August 2002

Hi Thanks for all the wonderful help and information so far (Roger, Ameriscot, Rete
and all the others). Just wondering if anyone has any last minute words of advice for
the wife (USC) and I? We are flying over from Belfast to London tomorrow (Wed) for
our interview on Thursday (I-130 spouse). I have been double checking our forms and
paperwork every night since we got our letter. Sean (S.M.)

Our timeline thus far:

Dec 27th 2002 - Got fiancée visa (for the now wife) in UK Embassy, NYC April 6th 2002
- Married in Belfast April 17th 2002 - Posted FLR(M) to UK IND in Croydon (recorded
delivery) April 19th 2002 - Post Office say that forms have been delivered May 8th
2002 - Received acknowledgement from Home Office saying that the file as been
assigned to a caseworker and we will hear from them within 5 weeks May 24th 2002 -
Received Entry clearance for 1 year from IND/Home Office for my wife May 27th 2002 -
Posted I-130 to INS London by special delivery May 28th 2002 - INS receive I-130
petition July 11th 2002 - Sent in OF-230-1 and OF-169 (checklist) with proposed date
of travel 15th August July 19th 2002 - Received I-130 Notice of Approval (NOA) from
INS London July 23rd 2002 - Sent ORIGINAL form I-171 NOA to US Embassy London (visa
branch) (by special delivery) July 25th 2002 - Received reply to email from London
Embassy saying they were waiting on my FBI check to come back, which could be 2-3
weeks August 1st 2002 - Received reply to email from London that FBI check came back
and interview was scheduled for 8th August August 1st 2002 - Received packet 4 and
interview letter by fax (13 pages) August 2nd 2002 - Received packet 4 and interview
letter by post August 8th 2002 - I-130 interview in London Embassy at 8am

Also while we were waiting on the I-130 petition to be approved we took a 3 week
holiday (I can still use that word as I'm still in the UK) to the US (Cape Cod). We
flew in through Boston and we both went through the citizens line (I wasn't
supposed to but the INS guy let it slide) and had to problems. I did have back up
letters from my employer, wage slips, bank account details to prove I had
sufficient ties to the UK.

P.S. Rete I will be posting my interview experience once that is completed.

rogerpenycate Aug 6th 2002 5:57 pm

Re: I-130 interview in London Thursday 8th August 2002

Good luck for Thursday.
It's been said on here many times, but if your paperwork is all
OK it should be a doddle, and you should be in the pub swaffing
a pint of Guiness by 1.30-2.00 (The Audley Arms is about 2/3
minutes walk)
Don't forget the umbrella ;o)

Finn Aug 6th 2002 6:20 pm

SNAP! Ha. I have my I-130 on Thursday, too. I cannot believe how nervous I am.
Anyways, if our paths don't cross, I'd like to wish you good luck. I am sure that you
will be fine- See you there.

Finn.

rogerpenycate Aug 6th 2002 6:44 pm

Finn,
Good luck to you as well, you'll be fine.

Don't forget the umbrella !!

Roger

chanty Aug 6th 2002 6:54 pm

Advice?

I am wondering if it makes any difference if I get married in the US or the UK (i am a uk Citizen getting married to a US citizen).

Here are my options please tell me the best route:

1) have my boyfriend come here and get married in the UK, then file for an Immigrant Visa.

2) Getting a Fiance Visa, go back to the states and File for AOS and wait stay there.

3) get married in the states and then come back to Uk to file for an immigrant Visa.

My issues is that I don't really want to go through a long drawn out process, of having Getting to the US and not being able to work for months and months and not being able to leave the states for two years! (this is what I have heard any way, let me know if it is true)

Any advice will be helpful.

And good luck with your interview

Chants

Rete Aug 6th 2002 7:22 pm

Hey S.M. and Finn .. looks like you guys will be meeting up on Thurday. My words of advice are:

1. Eat light the morning of the interview.

2. Don't take any sleeping pills the night before

3. Be sure to brush your teeth and use some mouthwash and wear clean undies for the doctor's visit

4. Start singing:

I'm off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz. Because because because because of the wonderful things he does ...

5. Throw up after the interview OUTSIDE of the Consulate, not in it.

Seriously, it will be over shortly and I guarantee you both will be typing ... wow, it wasn't anything like I thought it would be. It was so easy.

Enjoy your holiday

Rete

rogerpenycate Aug 6th 2002 7:35 pm

What are you on, can you email me some !!

Chanty,
I can't comment on your other options, however.
I (UK) married my wife (US) in Maryland last September and moved to the UK.
Panda (the wife) was here for 6 months and we filed the I-130
on the 28th March adn I received the visa on the 10th July
(so 3.5 months)
I believe this is the fastest way, and it means that (when my
estate agent and solicitor get their act together and I my house sale is completed) I arrive in the US with permission to work with no AOS.

I have read conflicting opinions on here, but Ida went back to the US after we'd filed (to set up domicile) and I have no doubt that the fact that she was working, rented an appartment, bought a car etc was instrumental in "my success"

Good luck

chanty Aug 6th 2002 7:48 pm

Roger

Are you saying that your Wife Panda Moved back to England with you? if this is the case are you saying that youyour Wife became a UK recident first and then you filed DCF.

Or is the Moral to your story that, the quickest way would be to marry in the states and then come back to England to wait for my Immigrant Visa? if this is the case does my Husband Have to be here in England with me?

Can you talk me through step by step, I cab't seem to grasp it

Thanks for your help,

You are a winner!

Rete Aug 6th 2002 7:55 pm

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
What are you on, can you email me some !!

Good luck

It's called burn out Roger. Leaving for vacation on Friday and trying to get organized here and still work a 9 hour day while doing it.

In fact I won't even be around to here to find out how Finn and SM make out on Thursday as I will be on the road to Halifax Nova Scotia for 10 glorious days. Hmmm perhaps not so glorious as will be staying with Jim's son and grandson but they certainly will be action filled ;-))) Can life with a 5 yo be anything but?

Rete

rogerpenycate Aug 6th 2002 8:03 pm

I'll do my best,
Yes my wife (Panda) moved back to the UK with me.
She had to go to the British Embassy in Washington to get her visa, and I had to file a similar form to the I-864 (I can't remember
it's name) to prove that I could support her, owned a property etc.
Similar to the I-864 but not as complicated.
Once she was here (with the residency permit) she had the right to work, but it took us about 3 months to get her a Social Security number although she could have worked without it.
Because she was a resident, we were allowed to file the I-130 in London.
I thing the fact that she (Panda) was here and we were allowed to DCF in London made the timescale so much shorter, and so therfore, I suppose, Yes your husband would need to be here with you (not a bad thing I suggest - his work permitting) after all that is what marriage is all about !!

I hope this makes sense, if not, ask away and I'll try to help more.
Hopefully someone else will follow me and explain the difference in timelines and AOS procedures, if your hubby stays in the US

Good luck

Roger (+ Ida - the pandabird)

S.M. Aug 7th 2002 9:57 am

Finn Are you being interviewed at 8am or do you have the medical first?
S.M.

"Finn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > SNAP! Ha. I have my I-130 on Thursday, too. I cannot believe how nervous I am.
    > Anyways, if our paths don't cross, I'd like to wish you good luck. I am sure that
    > you will be fine- See you there.
    > Finn.

Ameriscot Aug 7th 2002 1:28 pm

Good luck, S.M. and Finn.

Chanty,

The quickest way to a green card seems to be for the USC to gain residency in the UK in order to file the I-130 petition in London. As we see from S.M's timeline, it has taken just 4 months from UK marriage setllement visa to US immigrant visa interview. They have been together throughout the entire process, too.

The other realistic alternative is to go the I-129F fiancé visa route (which also takes about 4 months). The downside with this is that it is a non-immigrant visa, and you have to complete the immigration paperwork in the US which can take a couple of years. During this time you need to keep up to date with work permits and travel documents (should you want to travel outside the US before getting your green card).

S.M. Aug 7th 2002 3:35 pm

Thanks Ameriscot, hopefully we won't need it given the number of times I have checked
the forms!
S.M.

"Ameriscot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Good luck, S.M. and Finn.
    > Chanty,
    > The quickest way to a green card seems to be for the USC to gain residency in the
    > UK in order to file the I-130 petition in London. As we see from S.M's timeline,
    > it has taken just 4 months from UK marriage setllement visa to US immigrant visa
    > interview. They have been together throughout the entire process, too.
    > The other realistic alternative is to go the I-129F fiancé visa route (which also
    > takes about 4 months). The downside with this is that it is a non-immigrant visa,
    > and you have to complete the immigration paperwork in the US which can take a
    > couple of years. During this time you need to keep up to date with work permits
    > and travel documents (should you want to travel outside the US before getting your
    > green card).
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

chanty Aug 7th 2002 11:32 pm

Kids, can't i Just....

Friends,

i'ts chanty again, can't I just get married on a Tourist Visa! rather than having to wait in Shitty England for 4 months.

What are the consequences.

Ameriscot Aug 7th 2002 11:48 pm

Chanty,

Once you have been here for a while, England will seem like paradise.

Lots of people have gone to the US on a tourist visa with the intention of immigrating, and have pulled it off successfully. There are various newsgroup resources that give you information on how to go about this. This (entering with immigrant intent) is actually against the law, but you can get away with it if you are not questioned about your intentions and are not held to task later about which boxes you checked on the Visa Waiver form.

Based on a post from an attorney on this newgroup today, it appears that the INS are getting a bit more picky about tourist visa adjustments. Caveat Emptor.