Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 filing in the US September/October 2010 Thread

I-130 filing in the US September/October 2010 Thread

Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 filing in the US September/October 2010 Thread

Originally Posted by DreamerLis
Hi All,

I just wanted to share with you guys who havn't yet finished the process that the embassy never did apply to social security for a number for me.
Your best option is to look up your nearest office when you get to the states and apply for it yourself.
All they require is your passport and they also took my british drivers licence (they photocopied them both). I waited about 10-15mins to be seen and it only took about 10mins once at the window.
You should then receive your number in about 10 days. But can take up to 4 weeks I was told.

Just thought this might help with the getting a social issue =)
The Embassy does not apply for the SSN for you, you apply for it on the DS-230 II and when you turn in your envelope at the POE, it's forwarded to a data entry group of (?) CPB who generate the request.

If it has been 3 weeks and you have not had a welcome letter from USCIS and/or any communication from SSA, you need to make a USCIS "InfoPass" appt (at uscis.gov) and go in to inquire about your case. Sometimes they are not entered correctly; the SSN *not* showing up is a sign that your entire A file may not have been entered correctly to show you as a Permanent Resident.

Applying again at SSA (in addition to DS-230) may result in 2 SSA accounts, which you'd need to sort our to avoid fraud and credit reporting problems.

For maximum effectiveness, you should wait 10 days before going to SSA to apply in person.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

DreamerLis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I-130 filing in the US September/October 2010 Thread

Originally Posted by meauxna
The Embassy does not apply for the SSN for you, you apply for it on the DS-230 II and when you turn in your envelope at the POE, it's forwarded to a data entry group of (?) CPB who generate the request.

If it has been 3 weeks and you have not had a welcome letter from USCIS and/or any communication from SSA, you need to make a USCIS "InfoPass" appt (at uscis.gov) and go in to inquire about your case. Sometimes they are not entered correctly; the SSN *not* showing up is a sign that your entire A file may not have been entered correctly to show you as a Permanent Resident.

Applying again at SSA (in addition to DS-230) may result in 2 SSA accounts, which you'd need to sort our to avoid fraud and credit reporting problems.

For maximum effectiveness, you should wait 10 days before going to SSA to apply in person.

I was here about 3 weeks before I went to the office.
My name didn't even come up in their system.
I'm pretty sure the lady in the office checked to make sure it wasn't duplicated, she typed something in on her computer and said she was doing that.