Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 Filed in London (DCF)

I-130 Filed in London (DCF)

Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 Filed in London (DCF)

Originally Posted by CandK
Another quick question, my wife currently has the Spousal Visa for the UK in her US Passport. Does this need to be taken out when we return to the US? (I suspect so)
Actually, no... it doesn't need to come out. As far as the US is concerned, it's pretty much meaningless.

Also, my wife does some modelling work and would definitely have some work available in the UK after we leave to start living in the US...IF she has to have the UK Spousal Visa removed from her US Passport, would she then need to apply for a Work Visa to do a photoshoot in the UK?
She won't need to have the visa removed. However, and this is something you're going to want to check up on, she may not be allowed to work in the UK unless she's actually living there. I don't think she can work there while visiting.

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

JennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really niceJennaB is just really nice

Sorry, just had a quick question on the tax forms required for the I-864.

I am filing my 2009 taxes late ( I didn't file before, because I did not make anything in 2009). I am guessing my husbands interview will be sometime in the next three months, so there is a good chance I will not be able to get an IRS transcript before then (takes a few months to process). I have the same problem with my 2010 returns.

When I sent my 2010 return off, I sent it to the IRS in London, and had them send back a copy of the first page stamped 'recieved'. I plan on doing this for the 2009 form as well.

Would a copy of a transcript marked as 'recieved' by the IRS in London be sufficient when it comes to proof of filing taxes?

Last edited by JennaB; Apr 20th 2011 at 1:07 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JennaB
Would a copy of a transcript marked as 'recieved' by the IRS in London be sufficient when it comes to proof of filing taxes?
I believe so, but you should also keep a photocopy of the entire tax return that you submit to IRS. Make a photocopy of that, and turn it in with your I-864.

Just curious why you are filing a late 2009 return if you had zero income in 2009? If you had no income, you don't need to file a tax return. Just write a statement saying why you are missing that year's tax return.

Rene
Old May 7th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice

Quick question...we have had a family member in the US complete an affidavit of support. Obviously some of the fields on the form aren't applicable.

Would you recommend putting 'N/A' in there or leaving those fields blank?

It may sound like a silly question but if it avoids any delays, any question is a valid question, right??

Thank you!!!!
Old May 7th 2011, 7:38 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

Quick question...we have had a family member in the US complete an affidavit of support. Obviously some of the fields on the form aren't applicable.

It may sound like a silly question but if it avoids any delays, any question is a valid question, right??

Thank you!!!!
Putting N/A is the recommended way of dealing with questions that don't apply to your case. If you left those questions blank your form could be returned to you as incomplete. If you take a look at the affidavit guidelines, you'll see that they want you to put N/A as opposed to leaving questions blank. Good luck!
Old May 7th 2011, 7:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!!!
Why is it obviously, what doesn't apply to them?

I know what the I-864 instructions say, but almost no question is 'not applicable'. I always used 'none' or a natural language answer to all questions; don't leave things blank.

Your own posts says 'any question is valid'.
Old May 7th 2011, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C_C
Putting N/A is the recommended way of dealing with questions that don't apply to your case.
No, it isn't recommended. The person filling in the form doesn't get to decide whether or not a question is applicable... only the US government gets to make that decision.

Ian
Old May 7th 2011, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Obviously some of the fields on the form aren't applicable.
All of the questions are applicable. They can't choose which questions to answer and which to effectively ignore. No questions should be left blank, and no questions should contain "N/A". If the answer is "none", put "none". If the answer is "other", put "other".

Ian
Old May 7th 2011, 11:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!!!
Originally Posted by C_C
Putting N/A is the recommended way of dealing with questions that don't apply to your case. If you left those questions blank your form could be returned to you as incomplete. If you take a look at the affidavit guidelines, you'll see that they want you to put N/A as opposed to leaving questions blank. Good luck!
Thanks to this question being posted & answered like this today, I've learned something new. I am looking through the Adjudicators Field Manual to add to another post (this is the practical 'how to' for the USCIS people who decide your cases..yours is a Consular case, but this is still interesting...)

"Note: You should be aware that the use of the term "N/A" is a common ploy used to try to conceal relevant information (e.g., prior marriages, children, beneficiary's status in the United States) by implying the answer is "none" without actually stating it. Therefore, "N/A" should generally not be considered an acceptable answer."
http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/A...-0-0-2654.html

I did not know it was viewed that way, just that it was a poor choice (even when offered by USCIS).
Old May 8th 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Thanks to this question being posted & answered like this today, I've learned something new. I am looking through the Adjudicators Field Manual to add to another post (this is the practical 'how to' for the USCIS people who decide your cases..yours is a Consular case, but this is still interesting...)

"Note: You should be aware that the use of the term "N/A" is a common ploy used to try to conceal relevant information (e.g., prior marriages, children, beneficiary's status in the United States) by implying the answer is "none" without actually stating it. Therefore, "N/A" should generally not be considered an acceptable answer."
http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/A...-0-0-2654.html

I did not know it was viewed that way, just that it was a poor choice (even when offered by USCIS).
Perfect!!! Thank you for your help!!

Makes me happy for ourselves and others that I asked, what I initially thought was a 'silly question'.
Old May 8th 2011, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, it isn't recommended. The person filling in the form doesn't get to decide whether or not a question is applicable... only the US government gets to make that decision.

Ian
I was thinking for things like 'Middle Name' - Because I don't have one
Also the part that says 'I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time...' - Because there are no other familly members coming with us.
Also the part that states, 'Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household' - This wouldn't be applicable because the family member that is completing the i-864 (Affidavit of Support) covers the income threshold.

So there are things that aren't really applicable to an extent. I will put 'None' in place of those things instead - Much more understandable and less likely to look as if we are using that to avoid answering a question that is none.

Thank you all again for your input!!!
Old May 8th 2011, 5:14 pm

I don't have a middle name either! Annoying, isn't it?

The convention is First (none) LAST. I keep waiting for someone to call me None. Hasn't happened.

Also the part that says 'I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time...' - Because there are no other familly members coming with us.
"None".

Also the part that states, 'Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household' - This wouldn't be applicable because the family member that is completing the i-864 (Affidavit of Support) covers the income threshold.
"0"
Old May 8th 2011, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

I don't have one either... but that doesn't mean the question isn't applicable from the US government's point of view.

Also the part that says 'I am sponsoring the following family members immigrating at the same time...
The question is applicable.

Also the part that states...
Again, the question is applicable.

So there are things that aren't really applicable to an extent.
I disagree. The questions are always applicable whether or not you meet the US government's preconceived intent for asking.

Anyway... you're on the right track now!

Ian
Old May 9th 2011, 6:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way you cover yourself with "to an extent"!

Anyway, I've always felt that 'N/A', or even 'none' in many cases, begs the question "why?" on the part of the reader. To minimize the chance of an RFE, there is always room to write a few word answer that is more meaningful. E.g. 'No other family members immigrating'

Regards, JEff

So there are things that aren't really applicable to an extent.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I like the way you cover yourself with "to an extent"!

Anyway, I've always felt that 'N/A', or even 'none' in many cases, begs the question "why?" on the part of the reader. To minimize the chance of an RFE, there is always room to write a few word answer that is more meaningful. E.g. 'No other family members immigrating'

Regards, JEff
I don't know about I-864, but on the I-130 instructions they actually advise you to put N/A:

"Complete all blocks. If not applicable, enter
“Not Applicable” or “NA”. Failure to complete all blocks
will result in the forms being returned."

So for some reason this got stuck in my head that it is not acceptable to leave things blank, but it is ok to put N/A on these forms in general

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.