I-130, Do I need it?

Old Dec 8th 2003, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-130, Do I need it?

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
Jeff,
I don't usually post when I'm uncertain. However, perverse reasoning got the better of me this time. I myself want to know the answer to the OP's question, so I gave an answer based on what I had come to understand. If I'm right, yay, now I know that I do know. If I'm wrong, a correction will be made along with a stern reprimand, in which case I will never forget the correct answer. :scared:
Hi:

The OP has yet to clarify his original posting -- OK he married a US citizen -- does he intend to get a green card on the basis of that marriage?

For example, I have a client who had an approved employment based I-140. He is married to a US citizen. He did not file an I-130. I have another client who is the beneficiary of an I-360 Minister petition -- his LPR wife just naturalized. We have not and will not do an I-130.

I think I asked a very simple question -- does he even need an I-130 in the first place? Just becuase he is married to a US citizen doesn't mean he needs an I-130.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 6:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Heb,

Thanks for taking my jab in stride.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
Jeff,
I don't usually post when I'm uncertain. However, perverse reasoning got the better of me this time. I myself want to know the answer to the OP's question, so I gave an answer based on what I had come to understand. If I'm right, yay, now I know that I do know. If I'm wrong, a correction will be made along with a stern reprimand, in which case I will never forget the correct answer. :scared:
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:55 am
Mrt

wesam wrote:

> Thanks. So I need to file both I-30 and I-485.
    >
    > So do I mail them all at the same time, I am going to file in the
    > Dallas office.
    >

Actually, you don't file the I-130, the US citizen does.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:27 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The OP has yet to clarify his original posting -- OK he married a US citizen -- does he intend to get a green card on the basis of that marriage?

For example, I have a client who had an approved employment based I-140. He is married to a US citizen. He did not file an I-130. I have another client who is the beneficiary of an I-360 Minister petition -- his LPR wife just naturalized. We have not and will not do an I-130.

I think I asked a very simple question -- does he even need an I-130 in the first place? Just becuase he is married to a US citizen doesn't mean he needs an I-130.
Ok, I get it now. Depending on the situation, he could be able to adjust status by more than one means. And that can't be determined from the information supplied.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

wesam is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for any confusion, let me clarify my original post:
I have been in the states/Dallas since 1994 LEGALLY (student F1/OPT). I did travel outside the US several times since 1994. I am in the process of applying for AOS/I-485 because I got married to a US citizen on 11/2003. I intend to get a green card on the basis of this marriage. Do I still need to file I-130? Do I mail both forms(I-485 and I-130) at the same time, I am going to file in the Dallas office. THANKS

Last edited by wesam; Dec 8th 2003 at 11:02 am.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by wesam
I have been in the states/Dallas since 1994 LEGALLY (student F1/OPT). I did travel outside the US several times since 1994. I am in the process of applying for AOS/I-485 because I got married to a US citizen on 11/2003. I intend to get a green card on the basis of this marriage. Do I still need to file I-130? Do I mail both forms(I-485 and I-130) at the same time, I am going to file in the Dallas office. THANKS
Hi:

Thank you -- this is what we call a "combined processing." Your wife files an I-130 concurrent with your I-485 AOS. Right now the filing procedure is undergoing a transition to file by mail to the NBC via the Chicago lockbox. But this is NOT the procedure yet in most districts.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

SanBernardino is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the USCIS info page for the Dallas office: http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...as/aboutus.htm

It should contain filing procedures. Hopefully it would be updated with any changes in procedure.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

What do you mean by:
"Right now the filing procedure is undergoing a transition to file by mail to the NBC via the Chicago lockbox. But this is NOT the procedure yet in most districts."

Do I just mail both forms at the same time to the Dallas office?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

What do you mean by:
"Right now the filing procedure is undergoing a transition to file by mail to the NBC via the Chicago lockbox. But this is NOT the procedure yet in most districts."

Do I just mail both forms at the same time to the Dallas office?
Hi:

I have no idea about Dallas. I know that procedure is NOT in effect for Los Angeles just yet.

And you don't just send in the two forms -- you send in the entire bloody package. Including EAD, ADvance Parole, Pics, Medicals, I-864, the FILING FEE -- everything.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

I know about THE BIG PACKAGE.
So do include the I-130 with package?
Thank you very much for your help
Old Dec 8th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

SanBernardino is an unknown quantity at this point

I know about THE BIG PACKAGE.
So do include the I-130 with package?
Thank you very much for your help
Yes. Read this:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm
Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

This should be an easy Q to answer - I guess some confusion comes from what your status is at the moment. I am a student here on F1 and I recently got married. Here are the forms I filed while still under F1 status:

1. Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative
(filed by your spouse since this is a PETITION)

2. Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status

3. Form I-693: Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

4. Form I-864: Affidavit of Support under Section 213A of the Act

5. Form G325-A: Biographical Information (for applicant)
6. Form G325-A: Biographical Information (for petitioner)

Form I-765: Application for Employment Authorization
(If you need it)

If you download the forms they will give you instructions and supporting evidence you should file with it. This is the complete set of forms I filed and they didn't request anything else. My case is currently being processed.

Hope this helps,

Jo

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Thank you