Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 in Canada if no longer resident

Wikiposts

I-130 in Canada if no longer resident

Old May 8th 2004, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default I-130 in Canada if no longer resident

Will the Montreal Consulate complete processing of an I-130 if the beneficiary has moved to the US on a K-3?

Obviously, provided you have the time and money, there is a clear time saving to completing processing in Canada instead of doing AOS in the US. But if you're no longer resident in Canada, having moved to the US, will the Montreal Consulate allow it, or just bounce the petition?
Old May 8th 2004, 8:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 in Canada if no longer resident

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Will the Montreal Consulate complete processing of an I-130 if the beneficiary has moved to the US on a K-3?

Obviously, provided you have the time and money, there is a clear time saving to completing processing in Canada instead of doing AOS in the US. But if you're no longer resident in Canada, having moved to the US, will the Montreal Consulate allow it, or just bounce the petition?

Yes. There is that option available to K-3 visaholders. You are given the choice when the NVC lets you know they have your approved I-130 that you want to either complete AOS in the States or complete it at the US Consulate. If at the Consulate level, then NVC sends your USC spouse the I-864 to be completed and sent back and the foreign spouse the packet of forms to be completed and sent back to them. The NVC is the one that will send you the interview date at the US Consulate in Montreal It is my understanding Montreal is not involved with the process until you get that appointment and walk through their doors.

If I am incorrect folks, please let me know.

Rete
Old May 8th 2004, 8:29 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Yes. There is that option available to K-3 visaholders. You are given the choice when the NVC lets you know they have your approved I-130 that you want to either complete AOS in the States or complete it at the US Consulate. If at the Consulate level, then NVC sends your USC spouse the I-864 to be completed and sent back and the foreign spouse the packet of forms to be completed and sent back to them. The NVC is the one that will send you the interview date at the US Consulate in Montreal It is my understanding Montreal is not involved with the process until you get that appointment and walk through their doors.

If I am incorrect folks, please let me know.

Rete

I heard someone did it a few months ago.. I don't think you are wrong Rete
Lucky you CalgaryAMC!!
Old May 8th 2004, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Interesting. Thanks.

I am just wondering what the catch is - with Montreal being so close, I would assume that all petitioners from Canada would do this instead of AOS...but many don't.
Old May 8th 2004, 8:35 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Thanks.

I am just wondering what the catch is - with Montreal being so close, I would assume that all petitioners from Canada would do this instead of AOS...but many don't.

Canadian are lucky!!
Have a nice weekend!!
Old May 8th 2004, 8:37 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Thanks.

Montreal is not that close for someone living in the Southern States or the West Coast. Perhaps they don't want to return to Canada and leave their spouses or families or they live in a district office jurisdiction where AOS is rather quick. Or money is very tight. We have seen this problem numerous things on the forum when people cannot be financial sponsors and/or two jobs are needed just to float the household.

Rete
Old May 8th 2004, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

So it is not a matter of driving/flying up there for the appointment day and returning the next with GC in hand?
Old May 8th 2004, 8:43 am

So it is not a matter of driving/flying up there for the appointment day and returning the next with GC in hand?

Some people can't afford it.. even if it's for a GC.
Old May 8th 2004, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Canadian are lucky!!
Have a nice weekend!!
DCFers are lucky
Old May 8th 2004, 8:51 am

DCFers are lucky

That too, but it is easier for Canadians to get in the US
Old May 8th 2004, 8:58 am
Concierge

Honestly not sure. Since you would have had a police clearance for the K-3 will another be required? Will you require another medical? If so that is a day or more in itself if it has to be done by a Canadian AOS approved physican. Or then again, it might be as easy as crossing at Lake Champain, NY and going to straight to the US Consulate that morning and returning home later in the day. For me that is about a 6 hour drive and I would rather than a few days in the area then doing it in one day. But that's me.

I suppose the US Consulate is the one to ask about the questions asked above. They would be the ones to tell the Canadian what is or is not required.

Rete