Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 APPROVED- AOS Time frame?

I-130 APPROVED- AOS Time frame?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:51 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-130 APPROVED- AOS Time frame?

Hi!
After hours & hours of researching my head is spinning & I am still at a loss which route is best to take.
Now our I-130 has been approved should I organise to go home & proceed with the I-130, which I suspect may be the quicker route with less complications etc or should I stay & proceed with AOS?
From my previous dealings with the consulate in NZ they actually move very quickly & are most accomodating so that is a comforting thought.
If I chose to go the AOS way how long roughly is that process likely to take? Also if I choose to go with the AOS do I have to apply for AP if Im wanting to travel home before AOS is approved?
That of course isnt that likely but in case of an emergency I need to know I can travel if I have too. I know many of these questions have been covered on here before but suddenly I feel like Im beginning to lose control of things with such big choices to be made
Regards
Shepslady
Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-130 APPROVED- AOS Time frame?

Originally posted by shepslady
Hi!
After hours & hours of researching my head is spinning & I am still at a loss which route is best to take.
Now our I-130 has been approved should I organise to go home & proceed with the I-130, which I suspect may be the quicker route with less complications etc or should I stay & proceed with AOS?
From my previous dealings with the consulate in NZ they actually move very quickly & are most accomodating so that is a comforting thought.
If I chose to go the AOS way how long roughly is that process likely to take? Also if I choose to go with the AOS do I have to apply for AP if Im wanting to travel home before AOS is approved?
That of course isnt that likely but in case of an emergency I need to know I can travel if I have too. I know many of these questions have been covered on here before but suddenly I feel like Im beginning to lose control of things with such big choices to be made
Regards
Shepslady
Hi:

Take a look at the timelines for AOS at your local district office to get an idea.

BTW, before the institution of 245(i) in October 1994, [and no 3/10 years bars back then] it was quite common for AOS ineligible people to travel back to home country to consulate to pick up immigrant visa and come right back. I still haven't used up my frequent flier miles on Korean Airlines on that one [still got a free trip to Europe on Delta one of these days 'cuz of that].

I'm willing to bet that IV in OZ might be quicker.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:20 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Take a look at the timelines for AOS at your local district office to get an idea.

BTW, before the institution of 245(i) in October 1994, [and no 3/10 years bars back then] it was quite common for AOS ineligible people to travel back to home country to consulate to pick up immigrant visa and come right back. I still haven't used up my frequent flier miles on Korean Airlines on that one [still got a free trip to Europe on Delta one of these days 'cuz of that].

I'm willing to bet that IV in OZ might be quicker.
Thanks for your input Mr Folinskyinla.

I did as you suggested & see that they are still working on March 2003 so the AOS process will be a long drawn out affair if we choose to go that way. Sad thing is as it will obviously be quicker taking the I-130 route Im still trying to deal with this homesickness thing & really feel by returning home now for a short visit wont help my cause in the long run. I need to give myself more time to get settled before I go home. I know its been almost 8 months now but knowing what Im like returning home now will be so gut wrenching having to leave again & Im just not ready to go through that just yet.

Do we have to notify the NVC that we are going to follow through with AOS if thats what we finally decide on?

Regards
Shepslady
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input Mr Folinskyinla.

I did as you suggested & see that they are still working on March 2003 so the AOS process will be a long drawn out affair if we choose to go that way. Sad thing is as it will obviously be quicker taking the I-130 route Im still trying to deal with this homesickness thing & really feel by returning home now for a short visit wont help my cause in the long run. I need to give myself more time to get settled before I go home. I know its been almost 8 months now but knowing what Im like returning home now will be so gut wrenching having to leave again & Im just not ready to go through that just yet.

Do we have to notify the NVC that we are going to follow through with AOS if thats what we finally decide on?

Regards
Shepslady
Hi:

You will get the initial processing paperwork from the NVC -- you have to make your choice at that time.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:26 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Hi!
Regards
Shepslady
No real practical advice. Just congratulations and.....

Breathe in, breathe out, repeat.

You can do anything if you have enough faith in yourself

I COMPLETELY empathise the head spinning thing, feel free to tell me to take my own advice

You've come waaaay too far to let things get to you now and you know it.

You'll be better than fine
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:35 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!
Regards
Shepslady

Hey there!!

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I have just got my K3 visa and as well as you I have been wondering how to proceed with AOS, I iniatially wanted to wait for my I-130 to get approved, go back to my country and get the immigrant visa, but I have decided not to because I don't know if I will be able to fly back at that time.
I rather AOS once I get there so I don't have to worry about it any longer.
You are a K3'er, why do you want advance of parole for?, The K3 is a multiple entry visa good for 2 years!
Good Luck!!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:36 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally posted by lairdside
No real practical advice. Just congratulations and.....

Breathe in, breathe out, repeat.

You can do anything if you have enough faith in yourself

I COMPLETELY empathise the head spinning thing, feel free to tell me to take my own advice

You've come waaaay too far to let things get to you now and you know it.

You'll be better than fine
Hey Lairdside
Thanks for the advise & of course I know your right. Think Im just having a case of the old panic attacks. Will definately try the old breath in breath out thing every once in a while too!
Nice to see you back on board too, havent seen much of you for a while. Hope all is going well with you.
Regards
Shepslady
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:42 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there!!

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I have just got my K3 visa and as well as you I have been wondering how to proceed with AOS, I iniatially wanted to wait for my I-130 to get approved, go back to my country and get the immigrant visa, but I have decided not to because I don't know if I will be able to fly back at that time.
I rather AOS once I get there so I don't have to worry about it any longer.
You are a K3'er, why do you want advance of parole for?, The K3 is a multiple entry visa good for 2 years!
Good Luck!!
Hi Hypertweeky
Thanks for your congrats.
The thing that has me a little confused with AOS & AP etc is once you have started the AOS process I was under the impression that you had to have AP if you want to travel in & out of the country. Maybe Im wrong on that, I dont know? Yes Im here on a K3 & do know that I can come & go on te K3 as I please. Guess maybe Im not reading things right when it comes to AOS. Wouldnt you think that after 18 months of hanging around this forum I would have things sorted a little better by now Maybe its time to step back a little, have a breather from all of this & come back when Ive cleared my head huh?
Regards
Shepslady
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:49 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there Shepslady!

I can tell you what I'll be doing and that is return to UK when the I-130 is approved. Purely because Chicago takes so very long to approve AOS.

I know what you mean by the homesickness thing, it is heart wrenching. My daughter is visiting here at the moment and we are going back to UK together next week. I can't avoid going back because I have just sold my house there and have to deal with removals and signing papers etc. My daughter is also moving into a new flat and needs my help to get her all moved in and settled. I am dreading saying goodbye to everyone again especially as my old mum has had shingles and been very poorly. However, goodbyes have to be said and it will be hard but when I get back here I have the comfort and support of my husband who understands.

On a good note though, my son's K4 is processing very smoothly. He's just sent his packet 3 back and is waiting for his interview date. Hopefully he'll be here by April at the latest.

Your decision isn't an easy one, but I think the lengthy AOS is really your decision maker. Good luck

Maggie

Hi!
Regards
Shepslady
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:56 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally posted by Maggs
Hello there Shepslady!

I can tell you what I'll be doing and that is return to UK when the I-130 is approved. Purely because Chicago takes so very long to approve AOS.

I know what you mean by the homesickness thing, it is heart wrenching. My daughter is visiting here at the moment and we are going back to UK together next week. I can't avoid going back because I have just sold my house there and have to deal with removals and signing papers etc. My daughter is also moving into a new flat and needs my help to get her all moved in and settled. I am dreading saying goodbye to everyone again especially as my old mum has had shingles and been very poorly. However, goodbyes have to be said and it will be hard but when I get back here I have the comfort and support of my husband who understands.

On a good note though, my son's K4 is processing very smoothly. He's just sent his packet 3 back and is waiting for his interview date. Hopefully he'll be here by April at the latest.

Your decision isn't an easy one, but I think the lengthy AOS is really your decision maker. Good luck

Maggie
Hi Maggs
Fantastic news re your sons K4. I really hope all goes well with it & he is here with you soon.

Hope you have a wonderful trip back home with your daughter & catching up with your family again. Your obviously stronger than me because I know Im not ready to go through all those heart breaking goodbyes again just yet.

Please keep us posted how things go for you. Shall look forward to hearing all about it soon.

Regards
Shepslady
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:07 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hypertweeky
Thanks for your congrats.
The thing that has me a little confused with AOS & AP etc is once you have started the AOS process I was under the impression that you had to have AP if you want to travel in & out of the country. Maybe Im wrong on that, I dont know? Yes Im here on a K3 & do know that I can come & go on te K3 as I please. Guess maybe Im not reading things right when it comes to AOS. Wouldnt you think that after 18 months of hanging around this forum I would have things sorted a little better by now Maybe its time to step back a little, have a breather from all of this & come back when Ive cleared my head huh?
Regards
Shepslady
Hey there!!

Don't worry about not knowing what's AOS all about lol, Immigration is all confusing!
I have been told that even if you start the AOS process you can still your K3 as AP, correct me someone if I am wrong
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:12 am

Hey there!!

Don't worry about not knowing what's AOS all about lol, Immigration is all confusing!
I have been told that even if you start the AOS process you can still your K3 as AP, correct me someone if I am wrong

Advance Parole
Most aliens who have pending applications for immigration benefits or for changes in nonimmigrant status need Advance Parole to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad. Aliens applying for advance parole on the basis of a pending application for adjustment of status must be approved for advance parole prior to leaving the United States in order to avoid the termination of their pending application for adjustment. Note: this does not apply to aliens who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who maintain H-1B (Specialty Worker) or L-1 (Intracompany Transferee) status, or their dependents, who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have valid H-1B or L status and valid visas, V nonimmigrants who have a valid V nonimmigrant visa, are in valid V nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid V nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US, and K-3/4 nonimmigrants who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa, are in valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US.

No we don't need it
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:07 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Advance Parole
Most aliens who have pending applications for immigration benefits or for changes in nonimmigrant status need Advance Parole to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad. Aliens applying for advance parole on the basis of a pending application for adjustment of status must be approved for advance parole prior to leaving the United States in order to avoid the termination of their pending application for adjustment. Note: this does not apply to aliens who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who maintain H-1B (Specialty Worker) or L-1 (Intracompany Transferee) status, or their dependents, who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have valid H-1B or L status and valid visas, V nonimmigrants who have a valid V nonimmigrant visa, are in valid V nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid V nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US, and K-3/4 nonimmigrants who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa, are in valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US.

No we don't need it
Cheers for that. That is at least one thing off my mind for the time being.
Just noticed that you will be flying yourself in just a few days. Hope everything goes well with you & the goodbyes arent too hard. Just keep focusing on your husband waiting for you at the other end & Im sure things will be fine. Goodluck with your POE but Im sure it will be a breeze.
Regards
Shepslady