Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 Approved; Still travel to US?

I-130 Approved; Still travel to US?

Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice
Default I-130 Approved; Still travel to US?

My USC wife and I had submitted the I-130 and were not expecting it to come back until May. In between then, I was planning to head over to the states at the end of the month and stay until the end of April. However, my wife has now just received the approval notice for the I-130 and I wasn't sure whether this would negatively affect my chances of entering the US or, indeed, affect the visa process in some way.

In addition, my sketchy understanding of timelines is that my wife should receive an I-864 in a couple of weeks and then, in about a month or so, I will be contacted by the NVC. Given that I was thinking of heading over at this time, I wasn't sure whether it would be more worthwhile to remain in the UK and assemble all the necessary documentation. The aim is to have the visa in hand, by August or early September.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice,

Dan
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 Approved; Still travel to US?

Congrats on the quick I-130!
The first thing your wife will get is the Choice of Agent form. If you really don't want to move until the fall, you can just let the NVC process happen as it does. If you want to speed things up, you can get through the NVC in a much shorter time.

Either way, you can still visit. It won't change much of anything with your visa application.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Emily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to all

I traveled for many years in and out of the US after my dh had successfully filed a I-130 which we subsequently let lapse as we decided not to move to the US.

I never went to secondary during that period, but I did sometimes get some indepth questions from the POE. I tended to have more problems if I traveled into the US by myself and not with my USC dh and later child who is also USC plus my nationality...

I think, therefore, it is a good idea, just have packed with in your carryon, everything that you can easily prove that you intend to return to the UK. Otherwise, depending on the POEs mood, you may see secondary, I did btw on one trip explain the purpose of my trip and the POE actually googled everything in front of me, everything I told him I planned to do....

None of this, I think affects your visa, more it affects how you will be screened at the POE. Again, I think if you have all your ducks in a row in terms of paperwork, then I think you are probably fine.

HTH!!

Last edited by Emily B; Mar 11th 2010 at 4:13 am.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I did travel to the US at least once after the I-130 had been approved. No problems at all.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Desperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really niceDesperate Dan is just really nice

Many thanks for the as always helpful replies. The I-130 did come back quite quickly - in less than 3 months and that's including the Christmas and New Year period too! So, basically, I can still (attempt to) enter the US at this stage of the process but once I submit my application for an immigrant visa, then I must remain outside the US and cannot visit under the VWP.

As for POE concerns, I became aware of the possibility of being refused entry when I was attempting to enter last September - it was all straightforward in the end but, like you say, it's better to be prepared with evidence/documentation. The one thing that causes slight consternation is that my I-94 wasn't removed from my passport when I left the US last time. I did check on the CBP website and it appears to state that it should not be an issue because I left on a commercial carrier i.e. it can be independently verified. In addition, I still have the boarding pass + another boarding pass from a later connecting flight + a UK immigration date stamp (I only noticed that it hadn't been removed when I landed in the UK and an officer offered to do it as additional verification). That said, numerous other websites state that you have to send the I-94 off to Kentucky and the CBP website is confusing in so far as it gives instructions to do this on the same page as it says you can ignore it (the instructions are, I think, for those that left the US on private carriers/land).

Once again, many thanks.

Dan
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate Dan
So, basically, I can still (attempt to) enter the US at this stage of the process but once I submit my application for an immigrant visa, then I must remain outside the US and cannot visit under the VWP.
Who told you this bolded part?

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Emily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to all

No, as far as I know, and based on my own experiences yes you can travel on the VWP with an approved I-130.

As far as I have seen, when you come in at the POE they have a look at your records.... and decide based on that plus whatever you have to say.

Sounds like your other issue though is your outstanding I-94, which you need to sort out.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Who told you this bolded part?
Er, can't say precisely - a cumulation of various sources - but I am under the impression that a person must remain outside the US while their application for an immigrant visa is being processed. Is this not the case?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

The one thing that causes slight consternation is that my I-94 wasn't removed from my passport when I left the US last time. I did check on the CBP website and it appears to state that it should not be an issue because I left on a commercial carrier i.e. it can be independently verified. In addition, I still have the boarding pass + another boarding pass from a later connecting flight + a UK immigration date stamp (I only noticed that it hadn't been removed when I landed in the UK and an officer offered to do it as additional verification). That said, numerous other websites state that you have to send the I-94 off to Kentucky and the CBP website is confusing in so far as it gives instructions to do this on the same page as it says you can ignore it (the instructions are, I think, for those that left the US on private carriers/land).

Once again, many thanks.

Dan
I managed to lose my I-94 (the green card) during my stay last May. It wasn't stapled into my passport. I had a photocopy of it (yes I'm that anal) and I showed this to the flight attendant as I was leaving. I went back again in August with no problems at all. I'm sure I'll find the bit of card when we move house.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Er, can't say precisely - a cumulation of various sources - but I am under the impression that a person must remain outside the US while their application for an immigrant visa is being processed. Is this not the case?
That is not the case, to my knowledge.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

No you can travel whilst your visa is being applied for, I did as did lots of others on here.

Just make sure you take lots of proof of your ties to the UK, mortgage payments, rental agreements, letter from your employer saying that you are employed and when you're going back to work. Oh and a return ticket of course.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I happily stand corrected. I'm glad that I (inadvertently) raised this point (even though it shows up my own stupidity/ignorance!) because I've been living under a misapprehension - US immigration seems less draconian now.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the as always helpful replies. The I-130 did come back quite quickly - in less than 3 months and that's including the Christmas and New Year period too! So, basically, I can still (attempt to) enter the US at this stage of the process but once I submit my application for an immigrant visa, then I must remain outside the US and cannot visit under the VWP.

As for POE concerns, I became aware of the possibility of being refused entry when I was attempting to enter last September - it was all straightforward in the end but, like you say, it's better to be prepared with evidence/documentation. The one thing that causes slight consternation is that my I-94 wasn't removed from my passport when I left the US last time. I did check on the CBP website and it appears to state that it should not be an issue because I left on a commercial carrier i.e. it can be independently verified. In addition, I still have the boarding pass + another boarding pass from a later connecting flight + a UK immigration date stamp (I only noticed that it hadn't been removed when I landed in the UK and an officer offered to do it as additional verification). That said, numerous other websites state that you have to send the I-94 off to Kentucky and the CBP website is confusing in so far as it gives instructions to do this on the same page as it says you can ignore it (the instructions are, I think, for those that left the US on private carriers/land).

Once again, many thanks.

Dan
I think that page is pretty clear.. thanks for sharing it; I don't remember reading that particular one before.

Clearly, you don't need to do anything further, other than carry that evidence you have that you did depart on time.

"If you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified, and it is not necessary to take any further action, although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass - if you still have it - can help expedite your reentry next time you come back to the United States."

Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:53 pm
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I did travel to the US at least once after the I-130 had been approved. No problems at all.
Can I ask, at POE when they asked the purpose of your visit, what did you say?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gnasher12
Can I ask, at POE when they asked the purpose of your visit, what did you say?
Cant answer for Tim, but I said holiday, which it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.