Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130: 5 months and still no receipts!

I-130: 5 months and still no receipts!

Old Apr 8th 2001, 6:40 am
John Ko

Hi,

My wife and I sent in our I-130 paperwork back in November, and we still haven't
received any kind of receipts or an interview date. I don't believe they're lost in
the mail, but a backlog doesn't really explain things either, since my wife has
already received her EAD (feb) and her travel papers (march). Her application is
obviously being processed, so what's with the receipts?

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Should we be concerned? Any thoughts
would be appreciated.

Old Apr 8th 2001, 10:53 am
Rete

I'm a little confused but I am assuming if you foreign born wife has received an EAD
than she is here in the US. Since you said you filed the I-130 in November you must
have also filed the I-485 with that. And I am hoping that you sent that to the local
INS office and not to the INS Service Center for your area.

If you sent it correctly to the local INS office then you will not get a formal
receipt. In fact you might get nothing at all or might just get a little cash
register receipt as proof of filing. Since she has her EAD than they have the
application and it is being process. Depending on where you live and the office you
are using, you might be looking at a 2 to 3 year wait for your interview.

Rita

>
    >
    >
    >
believe
    >
    >
    >
with
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 8th 2001, 2:18 pm
exyz

>
    >
    >
still
    >
believe
    >
things
    >
travel
    >
what's with
    >
    >
    >
concerned? Any
    >
    >
As Rete mentioned, you could be waiting 2 or 3 years for an interview. Depends on
where you live. Does your wife have an "A" number? Were you notified of this in the
mail? That's when my husband got his receipt. It was just a piece of paper saying
that the INS got his stuff, listed his A number and a tiny cash register receipt was
stapled to it. (We use the Charlotte, NC field office).

You didn't say, but did you file the I-130, I-485, I-765 (EAD) and I-131 (I think
that's the AP form number) all at once? Sounds like you've already got the EAD and
AP. If your wife has both AP and EAD from this filing, it would seem that the INS
received her stuff, processed the forms and assigned her an A number. The receipt is
nothing but a cash register piece of paper. The important thing, I think is that her
paperwork is in the system...otherwise she wouldn't have an EAD or AP.

Another thing...did you pay by check? When was the check cashed? That would give
you an indication of when they started to process her information. If you paid by
money order and retained the receipt, you might be able to trace when that money
order was cashed.

Elaine

Old Apr 8th 2001, 6:37 pm
John Ko

Oops. Sorry, forgot to include some info. We submitted the I-130, I-485, I-765,
I-131 all together. We live in New York City, so we filed through the local
office downtown.

As for the little "cash register receipt", we haven't received anything of the sort.
I am slightly confused as to its importance. It seems like people are saying we don't
really need it for anything (since it's just proof INS received the application, and
my wife's EAD & AP, and our cancelled checks provide proof if nothing else), but that
it might come in handy (for tracking purposes?) if any problems should occur with our
paperwork. Is that correct?

I knew that it might take a while for our appointment letter, so I wasn't too
concerned about that, but the receipt thing had me wondering, because I've read about
others' applications being lost, misplaced, re-routed or some other thing.

In response to another poster, yes we paid by check, and they cleared Dec 12, 2000.

Thanks in advance to everyone for responding.

-John

in article [email protected], Rete at [email protected] wrote on
4/8/01 6:53 AM:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 8th 2001, 7:41 pm
Rete

We filed through NYC as well. We received the cash register receipt and it is
important primarily if you don't receive the letter to go in for your A/P and EAD.
Since your wife has there it is irrelevant.

As for the interview appointment letter, for reference purposes only, our timeline
was mailed the I-485, etc. on October 2, 1998 received EAD December 6, A/P December
8 and appointment letter in early March, 1999. Our appointment was scheduled for 21
months after the fact (June 2000). The normal processing time for the interview and
this was the case with everyone filing prior to us and after us at 14 to 16 months.
Fingerprinting appointment letter was received in April, 2000 and we were lucky
enough to have to go to New Rochelle while others went to the Grand Concourse in
the Bronx.

Hope this helps.

Rita

>
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
people
    >
    >
    >
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
am
    >
Service
    >
    >
    >
    >
a
    >
than
    >
you
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 9th 2001, 3:14 pm
cutiepiepudding

This probably means that your wife has been rejected and will have to leave the
country. The same thing happened to my first wife. We never got the letter and had to
put up with the inconvenience of an INS SWAT team entering through our tradesman's
entrance at five am. File a protest with your Senator; that should do the trick.

Old Apr 10th 2001, 4:09 am
John Ko

Thanks! That makes us feel better. If your timetable holds up for us, we should be
getting a letter sometime in May/June hopefully. Thanks again for your help.

-John

in article [email protected], Rete at [email protected] wrote on
4/8/01 3:41 PM:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

shahrokh22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default overseas name checks

Hi,
I would like to know whether you can answer my question or if you have any knowledge regarding this matter.
I am a US Citizen, my wife is an Iranian. Wh had an interview with the US embassy in Ankara, Turky. We passed the interview and they sent my wife's name for a name check (no finger print was taken from my wife). We were told to wait between 6 to 8 weeks for the name check results. The interview was conducted on october 9th.
Do you have any idea what office conducts the name check? because FBI conducts the name check based on the finger prints taken from ther applicant. Then who conducts the name check without the finger print?

what is the average time that it takes to get the results?