I-129F Related Questions

Wikiposts

I-129F Related Questions

Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Jade84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-129F Related Questions

Hello all!

I have posted a few questions regarding my fiance's situation with the I-129F and have received so much helpful information, so...I'm back with more questions. I'd like to say in advance that I very much appreciate the help I've received and continue to receive from the other members of this forum. Your help has saved us both many headaches.

So here goes:

I'm Texas (US by-birth citizen) and he's British. USCIS received our I-129F application on May 18. About a month ago, I received a letter from them requesting evidence that we are a legit couple, in which I sent statements from myself, my fiance, several of our closest friends, photos, plane tickets, travel records, passport copies, etc. Anyway, I'm just wondering what happens next?

And most importantly, is there anything we can be doing now during this downtime/waiting period that can help speed things up once he gets the application approved, such as him obtaining a police record from the North Yorkshire Police, or by getting medical records, immunizations, etc...and if so, what do you suggest we do?

I just want to go ahead and start ticking things off while we wait if thats possible. And I'm not really sure what we need to be prepared for financially between now and him getting to go to London to get the visa (is that what happens?).

So those are my most important questions for the time being. I am currently in England visiting him until after Christmas, but normally I live in the US - as I do not have any other UK visas except a 6 month tourist visa.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-129F Related Questions

Originally Posted by Jade84
Anyway, I'm just wondering what happens next?
The next thing that should happen is you get NOA2 (Notice of Action) which says the I-129F has been approved. Then stuff gets sent across the pond, and London takes over.

... is there anything we can be doing now during this downtime/waiting period that can help speed things up once he gets the application approved...
He should apply for his ACPO police certificate now... it'll take a few weeks to get, but it's valid for a year. He can't schedule the medical until he hears from London - but that'll be another few months at least.

I'm not really sure what we need to be prepared for financially between now and him getting to go to London to get the visa (is that what happens?).
You will need to complete form I-134 and send it to him so that he can take it to the interview with him... but you won't know when the interview is until he tells London that he's ready for an interview... which he can't do until he actually hears from them in the first place!

So... life is confusing, but at least there's symmetry!

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Is there a fee that goes along with the I-134? And do we have to pay anything for the interview in London or him getting the actual visa? Just curious how much its going to cost.

Also, what are they interviewing him for? I thought the interview didn't come till after the wedding?

So does this mean he'll have to go to London twice - once for the interview and then once to get the visa?

This is the longest, most drawn out bunch of crap, if you ask me. But I'm sure you're all a lot more tired of it than I am.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 4:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a fee that goes along with the I-134? And do we have to pay anything for the interview in London or him getting the actual visa? Just curious how much its going to cost.

Also, what are they interviewing him for? I thought the interview didn't come till after the wedding?

So does this mean he'll have to go to London twice - once for the interview and then once to get the visa?

This is the longest, most drawn out bunch of crap, if you ask me. But I'm sure you're all a lot more tired of it than I am.
Check out the K-1 wiki entries here (linked from the top of the forum) to get an idea of the upcoming paperwork and fees.
If you think it's been long & drawn out so far.. oooohieee, the party's just starting! Looks like you're on the cusp of petition approval, so it's not too early to get 'packet 3' documents ready.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They will be interviewing him for the K-1 visa. After he uses that visa to come to the USA and marries you within 90 days, then you begin another set of paperwork for his adjustment of status (green card). That usually involves another interview that you both attend here in the USA.

No, there is no fee for the I-134, but there is a fee for the K-1 visa (I think it's around $130, but do some research on that).

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:16 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

J,

They're interviewing him to confirm that he qualifies for the visa.

You should be reading the web pages on the fiance(e) visa on the consular section's web site, and postings by YouWantFriesWithThat, as well as the wiki that meauxna mentioned.

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
J,

They're interviewing him to confirm that he qualifies for the visa.

You should be reading the web pages on the fiance(e) visa on the consular section's web site, and postings by YouWantFriesWithThat, as well as the wiki that meauxna mentioned.

Regards, JEff
Definitely read the posting by YWFWT, very detailed and informative. He'll have to have a medical (London) which costs, £190. Then his interview for visa at the Embassy and that will cost another $131 for the visa and £14 to have his passport couriered back to him, assuming he has the visa granted. This is NOT a cheap process

This is a link for the embassy pages which explain what happens when the I-129F is approved and has been sent to London for processing.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...rocessing.html
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

No, if he is approved for his visa at the interview they give him a document to give to the courier company (it's another desk on the way out of the embassy), he pays them £14 and then the passport complete with visa is mailed back to him.

The embassy selects the medical practice that is to be used - they have two offices in London.

If it's a long-ish trip to London (like it was for me) I waited for interview date (the appointment will be in the morning), then booked the medical for the afternoon of the day before (presuming your interview isn't Monday of course). Then I got the train to London on the morning of the medical, had the medical, stayed over in a cheap hotel, interview morning of day two, return afternoon of day two.

That got it all done on one trip - they will ask if he's had the medical at the interview, he'll say that he had it the day before - they know that in a day or two the results will get to the embassy - then presuming the medical comes back ok they will process the visa/passport and it will be mailed out.

I did the exact above process for my visa and it was back with me less than a week after my interview.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for the info, everyone! Once again, we both really appreciate it. I've bookmarked the wiki entries, which were very helpful and will continue to reference them when I have more questions.

Just one more thing - out of pure curiosity...for those of you who have done this successfully, how long did it take from the I-129F being approved to actually having the visa in your hand?

I also must admit, I'm really happy to know that the big chunk of money has already been paid for this part. I was afraid the medical and the interview would cost a lot more than that. *whew*

Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just one more thing - out of pure curiosity...for those of you who have done this successfully, how long did it take from the I-129F being approved to actually having the visa in your hand?
Sheila mailed our I-129F in November, and I had the K-1 visa in March.

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sheila mailed our I-129F in November, and I had the K-1 visa in March.

Ian
WOW - did you use an attorney or do it all yourself? I mailed ours in May and we still haven't even had it approved yet.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW - did you use an attorney or do it all yourself? I mailed ours in May and we still haven't even had it approved yet.
Don't worry, Ian did his several years ago and his timeline is outdated by now. You can't really compare what happened several years ago to what's happening today.

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:39 am
Account Closed

WOW - did you use an attorney or do it all yourself?
We did everything by ourselves - no attorney... all the way from the I-129F petition to my naturalization.

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ian did his several years ago and his timeline is outdated by now. You can't really compare what happened several years ago to what's happening today.
Yup - I agree 100%. Since she didn't ask for "recent" experiences, I answered her question at face value. BTW, "several years ago" is now 12 years ago! Ay, caramba!

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yup - I agree 100%. Since she didn't ask for "recent" experiences, I answered her question at face value. BTW, "several years ago" is now 12 years ago! Ay, caramba!

Ian

Oh yes, good point. I guess I should have mentioned the recent part, but either way - you got it done quickly.

12 years ago, eh? I guess that means you're a citizen now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.