I-129F or I-130?

Old Sep 4th 2002, 11:53 am
Karen

Default I-129F or I-130?

My I-130 was approved August 26th, and my I-129f for K-3 was approved August 28th.
Do I really have a choice for which one to go with? I was told by immigration that
it was whichever got to the consulate first. With such a short time between the two,
it's a toss up as to which one that will be.

I'm sorry if I'm going over things already discussed here but didn't have the time to
find old threads about it.

Thanks for any info!

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

osaeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-129F or I-130?

Depends on whether your application has to go via the NVC on its way to the consulate.

In my case, my I-130 was approved 1 month before my I-129F. Both had to go through the NVC. For I-130, NVC has to do a lot of processing (I-864, Agent Choice Letter, DS-230) before sending on to the consultate. For I-129F, NVC had to do nothing (app sat there for about 1 week), and the app has reached the consulate. I anticipate about 6 more weeks before the I-130 reaches the consulate.

You might as well fill out and submit forms as they reach you (whether K3 or I-130) and wait to see which visa wins the race.

Good luck

omer
Old Sep 4th 2002, 1:13 pm
Girard Bourque

If the 129 is approved about the same time as the 130, the 129 should make it to the
consulate first. The 130 now needs to go to the National Visa center before it goes
to the consulate and can still be another 6 months before it reaches the consulate.
Also the work the consulate needs to accomplish is for a 130 is about double the 129.

Jerry

Old Sep 4th 2002, 1:15 pm
Girard Bourque

If the 129 is approved about the same time as the 130, the 129 should make it to the
consulate first. The 130 now needs to go to the National Visa center before it goes
to the consulate and can still be another 6 months before it reaches the consulate.
Also the work the consulate needs to accomplish is for a 130 is about double the 129.

Jerry

Old Sep 4th 2002, 5:42 pm
Mrtravel

osaeed wrote:
    > Depends on whether your application has to go via the NVC on its way to the
    > consulate.
    > In my case, my I-130 was approved 1 month before my I-129F. Both had to go
    > through the NVC. For I-130, NVC has to do a lot of processing (I-864, Agent Choice
    > Letter, DS-230) before sending on to the consultate.

? I-864 is not sent with the I-130, it is normally given to the consulate during the
interview. The DS-230 is also a form that goes from the immigrant to the consulate.
Why would it go to the NVC?

For I-129F, NVC had to do nothing (app sat there for about
    > 1 week), and the app has reached the consulate. I anticipate about 6 more weeks
    > before the I-130 reaches the consulate.

Interesting.. One poster said 6 more months.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
osaeed wrote:
? I-864 is not sent with the I-130, it is normally given to the consulate during the
interview. The DS-230 is also a form that goes from the immigrant to the consulate.
Why would it go to the NVC?
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that I sent the I-864 with the I-130. After NVC received the approved I-130 from CSC, NVC sent me an I-864 to fill out and return to NVC (via MSC!! In the same manner that Chicago cashes checks and forwards to MSC for LIFE cases, MSC cashes checks and forwards docs to NVC. What nice bureaucracy!)

Certain consulates (mostly Asian/African) are designated "alpha" or "beta" posts by DOS and have most of their documents processed via NVC. This means that all the consulate has to do after receiving the case from NVC is conduct the interview. You can find more info at
http://www.shrmglobal.org/function/i.../fd040902b.htm
This process is very similar to I-140 (employment-based visa) processing for H1-B folks.

Besides sending me the I-864, NVC sent my wife an Agent Choice Letter asking who should receive further correspondence from NVC. She designated me, the USC. Within the next week I will be receiving the DS-230 and a few other biographic forms from NVC. I will have to return them along with the immigrant visa processing fee to the NVC (via MSC). I have Fedex-ed a DS-230 to my wife to sign so that I can return the docs to NVC immediately after I receive them.

NVC information officers are amazingly helpful, the timelines they provide have been pretty close to reality. I have never received more than 5 consecutive busy signals when trying to call them, usually getting through on the first call.

omer

omer
Old Sep 5th 2002, 11:45 am
Karen

What kind of wait are we looking at with the I-129f before he gets his interview? I
understand that he must get together forms and all the requirements and his medical
exam, but say he has everything already and gets his medical done within a
week....how long total from the time that he receives packet #3 to the time of his
interview?

and thanks!

Old Sep 5th 2002, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

My wife received packet 3 and the interview date in the same mailing from the consulate. The packet was postmarked 8/28/02, the K3 interview is 9/16/02. We are dealing with Islamabad. Another one of the Islamabad K3'ers will have a postmark of 8/5 on his packet 3 and the interview is also 9/16 (he called the consulate and they gave him the info).

omer

Originally posted by Karen:
What kind of wait are we looking at with the I-129f before he gets his interview? I
understand that he must get together forms and all the requirements and his medical
exam, but say he has everything already and gets his medical done within a
week....how long total from the time that he receives packet #3 to the time of his
interview?

and thanks!
Old Sep 5th 2002, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I meant the other K3'er will have a postmark of 9/5.

omer

Originally posted by osaeed:
My wife received packet 3 and the interview date in the same mailing from the consulate. The packet was postmarked 8/28/02, the K3 interview is 9/16/02. We are dealing with Islamabad. Another one of the Islamabad K3'ers will have a postmark of 8/5 on his packet 3 and the interview is also 9/16 (he called the consulate and they gave him the info).

omer
Old Sep 11th 2002, 4:48 pm
Moe

Originally posted by osaeed:
Sorry, I meant the other K3'er will have a postmark of 9/5.

omer
To Karen,

Can you please take a moment and post your timeline for your I-130 approval. Thanks