Reload this Page >

I-129F filed... now some questions

Wikiposts

I-129F filed... now some questions

Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:43 am
Just Joined

KJC24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-129F filed... now some questions

They received the forms in California on 25th of June 2007, so I can expect to hear from them in about 6 months from now. I'm assuming it really is first come first serve and that I won't hear sooner than that.

I am coming from Scotland to live in the US with my fiance, but some questions:-

1) I'm starting to hate the job I'm in, so would it hinder my chances if I quit the job before I hear back from immigration? Would it even matter to immigration if I was unemployed? I have £5,000 right now so it's not like I will be short of money to bring over to the states (currently living with parents). Despite the fact I hate the job, I guess I will stick at it until I get word from immigration IF it will in fact help my chances.

2) The medical... Can anyone explain what type of tests they will do? Will I need to get any vaccinations, or do I simply get proof of what vaccinations I've already had?

3) Another thing that worries me about the medical, is that I used to self-harm when I was a teenager, and I have scars on my upper arms and a couple on my forearm (hidden by a watch)... If the doctors notice these, will this effect my chances of getting into the states? They might think I'm some sort of psycho or something. Are the doctors likely to notice these scars? I was thinking of asking them to get blood from my hand instead of the upper arm if that would be possible.

4) My UK passport expires in September 2008, will immigration require that I get a new one before I go to the states?

5) On the statements we sent with the I-129F, we wrote a lot more than what everyone seems to have written, about how we met etc... I don't even know if we stated we are free to get married within 90 days of approval. Again, will this affect my chances?

6)After they process my I-129F from, how long should I expect it to be from that point to actually flying out to the states? Is there also an Oath ceremony I have to await before I leave?

7) From what I've read here, the interview seems to be basic going over the forms... So I don't have to memorize my fiance's favorite colours, foods, movies etc?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-129F filed... now some questions

1) You can kick the job -- makes no difference.

2) TB, AIDS, other bits and bobs. Will prevent you with being pumped with them again if you can get a vaccination record from your current GP.

3) There is a mental illness component. No idea if it's significant in your case. Are you over it? How long ago?

4) Get a new passport now. You don't want the hassle (and extra expense) of having to change it when you're over here.

6) You're getting confused. There's no oath ceremony until you reach naturalization -- a good way off. Your first oath will be your marriage one in the US.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
1) You can kick the job -- makes no difference.
I think I am going to quit regardless... If it doesn't matter to immigration then all the better.

So it really doesn't matter about being unemployed at the time of the interview?

3) There is a mental illness component. No idea if it's significant in your case. Are you over it? How long ago?
Well and truly over it. Was a silly phase I went though as a teenager 10 years ago. I'd just hate for the scars to set back the immigration case if the doctors notice.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJC24

6)After they process my I-129F from, how long should I expect it to be from that point to actually flying out to the states? Is there also an Oath ceremony I have to await before I leave?

7) From what I've read here, the interview seems to be basic going over the forms... So I don't have to memorize my fiance's favorite colours, foods, movies etc?
After the petition is approved (I-129f) *then* you can apply for the visa. Expect another couple/few months for your turn for the interview.
After the interview, the visa is typically issued and delivered within a week, but don't book tickets for immediately after (stuff happens).

On the self-harm stuff, don't recommend that you try to hide it. This, like everything else in immigratin land, will be best dealt with straight on. Get a letter from your treating doc discussing it, or better yet, research for yourself how others have successfully handled it. I will PM you the name of someone you can search on.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
After the petition is approved (I-129f) *then* you can apply for the visa. Expect another couple/few months for your turn for the interview.
After the interview, the visa is typically issued and delivered within a week, but don't book tickets for immediately after (stuff happens).
Damn.. so it would be pretty much a year from 25th of June?

On the self-harm stuff, don't recommend that you try to hide it. This, like everything else in immigratin land, will be best dealt with straight on. Get a letter from your treating doc discussing it, or better yet, research for yourself how others have successfully handled it. I will PM you the name of someone you can search on.
I am posting this message so I can read the PM (I need 3 posts).
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Damn.. so it would be pretty much a year from 25th of June?.
No, the I-129f should not take the full 6 months (fingers crossed) to process.
An average for a UK K-1 is 6-9 months start to finish.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

One more question I just thought of.

On the forms it asks a question like 'what is your local American embassy/consolate" and I put Edinburgh. Should I have put London? I am assuming they can do the interview at Edinburgh...

thanks
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Should I have put London?
Yes, but they'll forward it to London anyway.

I am assuming they can do the interview at Edinburgh...
Umm... no, you'll need to go to London for the interview.

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

The police cert: Say's it can't give me one:

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/faq.htm#certs

But the link above takes me to here where I get this form:

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm

Would any of these forms be accepted by immigration?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:38 am
fhaene

Default Re: disability questions Re: I-129F filed... now some questions

On Jul 10, 8:54 pm, meauxna <[email protected]> wrote:

> On theself-harmstuff, don't recommend that you try to
> hide it. This, like everything else in immigratin land, will
> be best dealt with straight on. Get a letter from your
> treating doc discussing it, or better yet, research for
> yourself how others have successfully handled it. I will
> PM you the name of someone you can search on.

I wonder if you could send me this bit of information too. My fiance
is currently looking at applying for disability benefits in Canada
(due to depression -- he's not a self-harmer as this other person was,
but it does affect his ability to work and afford the anti-
depressants, catch-22!) but we are concerned that this may affect the
decision of a visa officer. I figure just the health problem itself is
not a big issue (after all, it's not like there's a state health care
system in the US which would be obliged to provide him any care, and
thus he'd be a potential drain if admitted), but drawing a benefit
check seems to be more of a grey area, as there are similar benefits
available in the US they might be worried he'd try to apply for. Any
thoughts?

Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The police cert: Say's it can't give me one:

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/faq.htm#certs

But the link above takes me to here where I get this form:

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm

Would any of these forms be accepted by immigration?
Nope!

You need to get it from your "local" police force. I'm guessing yours is Strathclyde. If so, try:
http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/ind...D=497&docID=-1

If not, find your local force for WHERE YOU LIVE NOW on the web.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:26 am

Default Re: disability questions Re: I-129F filed... now some questions

[QUOTE=fhaene; I figure just the health problem itself is
not a big issue (after all, it's not like there's a state health care
system in the US which would be obliged to provide him any care, and
thus he'd be a potential drain if admitted), but drawing a benefit
check seems to be more of a grey area, as there are similar benefits
available in the US they might be worried he'd try to apply for. Any
thoughts?[/QUOTE]

It's a medical issue. You can educate yourself by reading at travel.state.gov about the issue that make someone inadmissable to the US (in fact, the links you need are gathered at www.familybasedimmigration.com)
It doesn't hurt to have the physician write a letter explaining the diagnosis, treatment and potential for harm to self or others.

There aren't any benefits he's be eligible to get in the US anyway. This is more likely an issue covered by the affidavit of support. You might get proof of what health insurance plan you'll be adding him to/added him to in the US.