Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-129F Fiance Visa Advice

Wikiposts

I-129F Fiance Visa Advice

Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

dakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nice
Default I-129F Fiance Visa Advice

Hi everyone, I just sent out my I-129F packet for the Fiance Visa yesterday. Is there anything that I can start preparing while I'm waiting? Will they notify me by mail once they have approved my packet, or how does it go from here? Thank you all for your time.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-129F Fiance Visa Advice

Originally Posted by dakine48
Hi everyone, I just sent out my I-129F packet for the Fiance Visa yesterday. Is there anything that I can start preparing while I'm waiting? Will they notify me by mail once they have approved my packet, or how does it go from here? Thank you all for your time.
You'll be notified by mail when your I-129F is approved. After that, the file goes to NVC and then on to the embassy overseas where the foreign fiance will be having his/her interview. A packet of forms will be sent to the foreign fiance to complete. The foreign fiance will return what the embassy asks for, will get a medical and police check done, and have an interview at the embassy for the K-1 visa.

You can work on getting the I-134 ready, your fiance will need that at the interview. The foreign fiance can check the embassy website in advance to see what forms might be needed, and work on filling those out. The foreign fiance can start ordering police reports as needed. The medical can't usually be done without directive from the embassy.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

dakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You'll be notified by mail when your I-129F is approved. After that, the file goes to NVC and then on to the embassy overseas where the foreign fiance will be having his/her interview. A packet of forms will be sent to the foreign fiance to complete. The foreign fiance will return what the embassy asks for, will get a medical and police check done, and have an interview at the embassy for the K-1 visa.

You can work on getting the I-134 ready, your fiance will need that at the interview. The foreign fiance can check the embassy website in advance to see what forms might be needed, and work on filling those out. The foreign fiance can start ordering police reports as needed. The medical can't usually be done without directive from the embassy.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi Rene, thanks for a speedy reply.

Just to be clear, aside from what the Philippine embassy will send to my fiance, she will also need to get her own copies of police reports and also an original documents of the I-134 form from me? Should I have her get her police reports at this very moment or is there a time frame that it has to be valid?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

horseshoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I just did it January this year.
In a week, you will get NOA 1 from USCIS, telling you that your application and check have been received. Then you have to wait for approval NOA 2. My tips to you, go to USCIS website after you get your NOA 1 and register your case with CRIS (their online registration systems). In my case, I never receive NOA 2 by mail, instead, email from CRIS. It took about 3 to 4 months for NOA 2. Then, in 2 weeks email NVC inquiring your status. Normally they will respond it within a week. Don't try to call them, it's not worth the waiting time. 1 week after it sent out, your embassy will email you package 3. Follow all the instruction, prepare all police reports and medical check. You have 4 months to complete it. Once it's completed, submit them to the embassy. If everything is ok and complete, they will schedule you for the interview for the following week.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene, thanks for a speedy reply.

Just to be clear, aside from what the Philippine embassy will send to my fiance, she will also need to get her own copies of police reports and also an original documents of the I-134 form from me? Should I have her get her police reports at this very moment or is there a time frame that it has to be valid?
She will need the original completed I-134 from you with supporting documents by the time she has her interview. I believe the police report is good for a year, so she can probably go ahead and get that too. She will need a police report from any country she lived in longer than 6 months, over the age of 16, except the USA if she ever lived there.

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by horseshoe
Hi,
I just did it January this year.
In a week, you will get NOA 1 from USCIS, telling you that your application and check have been received. Then you have to wait for approval NOA 2. My tips to you, go to USCIS website after you get your NOA 1 and register your case with CRIS (their online registration systems). In my case, I never receive NOA 2 by mail, instead, email from CRIS. It took about 3 to 4 months for NOA 2. Then, in 2 weeks email NVC inquiring your status. Normally they will respond it within a week. Don't try to call them, it's not worth the waiting time. 1 week after it sent out, your embassy will email you package 3. Follow all the instruction, prepare all police reports and medical check. You have 4 months to complete it. Once it's completed, submit them to the embassy. If everything is ok and complete, they will schedule you for the interview for the following week.
Did you do yours in the PI as well?

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

horseshoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you do yours in the PI as well?

Rene
Nope. It was in Jakarta.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by horseshoe
Nope. It was in Jakarta.
OK. Since you mentioned very specific time frames, I didn't want the OP to think his timeline would be exactly like yours. Timelines are very embassy-specific. To the OP, don't rely heavily on horseshoe's timeline...yours could be quite different.

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:10 pm
Redwood Girl

dakine48 wrote:

> Just to be clear, aside from what the Philippine embassy will send to my
> fiance, she will also need to get her own copies of police reports and
> also an original documents of the I-134 form from me? Should I have her
> get her police reports at this very moment or is there a time frame that
> it has to be valid?

Police reports tend to take some time to process, which is why it is
often recommended that you start soon, so that you will have them in
hand by the time of the interview. Yes, they do expire (how long may
vary by country, I think FBI for example is 6 months), so you should
check with the police authority in question and see if you can find out
what the average processing time is, and plan accordingly.

--
* mstie #31731 * NI! * 6x9B * xyzzy? plugh! * oh smeg! *
Man, I'm amazing! I'm a machine that turns FOOD into
IDEAS! (Dinosaur Comics)

Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the great tips!! I will let her know to start inquiring about her police report. I really appreciate all of your help. cheers!

-chad
Old Jun 10th 2007, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

southcraven is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I dont want to spoil your day but you will find that the british emabassy manila's visa section will not be helpful. I suggest you visit the embassy's website, google embassy uk manila.

Notice they have a semi-independant visa checking department to arrange interviews, etc. This now requires a visit to Manila. Then maybe a 6 month wait for an interview. Then quite possibly a refusal.

With refusal , well, usually social and economic grounds.......she may stand a better chance if she has a proffesional qualification, recognised well paid position in a blue chip company, a business, land, homeowner, etc, etc. If she is not any of the above, you need to seek some advice. DO NOT use any of the companies promising visa's based in the PI, they are generally rubbish and or corrupt.

I copied this info previously check the site and get an update.....
15th - 17th Floors
L V Locsin Building
6752 Ayala Avenue
Makati City
Philippines 1226

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Home

HM Ambassador

Passports and
VISA

Address: 15th Floor, L V Locsin Building
6752 Ayala Avenue, Makati City

Telephone: (63 2) 8167271 to 72
Fax: (63 2) 8102745
E-mail: Visa Section - British Embassy Manila

The information on this page will tell you what the requirements are for the various visas issued by the British Embassy. For further information and application forms click here.

For criteria and procedures on DROP BOX applications click here.

No cell phones will be permitted inside the Visa Section of the British Embassy. No bags including ladies handbags will be permitted inside the Visa Section of the British Embassy. These items must not be brought inside the Embassy building and cannot be left on the 2nd or 15th floor with the guards or at the reception desks. Any person trying to bring these items will be refused entry to the Embassy.

The Honorary Consul in Cebu does not provide a visa service.

The Consular Section of the Embassy does not deal with visa matters. Please see separate advice on the functions of the Consular Section.

Applications may be filed at the Embassy (address shown above) between 0800 and 1000, Monday - Friday. Beware of touts or "fixers". They will take your money but no matter what they promise they cannot guarantee you a visa. All cases involving touts or illegal operations will be passed to the Philippine authorities for whatever action they consider appropriate.

As there is no certainty that a visa can be issued, applicants and sponsors are advised not to buy any air ticket if delay or refusal of the visa application will result in financial loss.

VISA REQUIREMENTS

For all visas, the following are required:

1. a completed application form - check below which form is required for which visa;
2. two recent passport-sized photographs;
3. your current and any old passports;
4. payment - we only accept cash or banker's drafts in Philippine Pesos (banker's drafts should be made payable to the British Embassy).

Visit Visa

If you are applying for a visit visa, the following documents will normally be required (in addition to 1 - 4 above) before your application is considered:

an invitation letter from the United Kingdom (if sponsored by a UK resident);
a copy of your sponsor's passport;
evidence of your sponsor's funds (i.e.. bank statements);
if you are employed, a letter from your employer stating your salary and that approval for leave has been given;
evidence of your savings (i.e.. bank statements) covering the last 2 -3 months - a bank certificate alone will not suffice;
land titles, if you have any;
your marriage certificate, if applicable;
business documents, e.g.. business registration if self-employed;
Applicants who have not previously travelled to the United Kingdom, North America or Europe in the past two years, and applicants who have previously been refused entry to the UK are required to lodge their applications in person. Applications submitted by travel agents for visit visas must be accompanied by a letter stating the exact purpose of the visit to the UK.

All applications are assessed on the same day. However, if an interview is considered necessary, it will take place on the first available interview date after application. All applicants are advised to submit their application well in advance of their intended date of travel to avoid disappointment. First time travellers will most likely require a full interview. This will (at present) not take place on the day of application.

Fiancé(e) Visa

You need to provide the documents listed from 1-4 above. You should complete application forms IM2A and IM2B. You are also required to provide:

a full copy of your sponsor's passport, including personal details page and all stamped pages;
birth certificates of any children you may have - these must be on National Statistics Office security paper;
evidence that your sponsor can support you financially, i.e.. their bank statements and details of other savings for the past six months, and evidence of employment;
evidence that your sponsor has adequate accommodation - mortgage documents or a rent book are acceptable along with a description of the property;
annulment or divorce papers of you and your sponsor if necessary - if these are not available you should provide evidence that legal proceedings have started for the divorce/annulment.

This list is for guidance only. You will be a given a list of the exact requirements when the visa application is lodged.

The application can only be processed when the fee has been paid. When the application has been made and the fees paid, you will be scheduled for an interview. There is a waiting list for interviews, but you will be offered the first available date.

Good Luck
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by southcraven
Sorry I dont want to spoil your day but you will find that the british emabassy manila's visa section will not be helpful. I suggest you visit the embassy's website, google embassy uk manila.
Sorry, but I don't understand what the UK has to do with anything in your post. The OP is a USC and is applying for his fiance to come to the USA from the Philippines. The UK is not involved.

Rene