Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-129F: extension of 'validity date of I-129F' through London consulate???

Wikiposts

I-129F: extension of 'validity date of I-129F' through London consulate???

Old May 20th 2004, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

mpd131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-129F: extension of 'validity date of I-129F' through London consulate???

Okay, I know I'm probably jumping the gun here as we have not yet been approved, but here is my situation...I've applied for a K-1 for my UK citizen fiance through the VSC. Our notice date was April 23, 2004. In the best case scenario, we 'figure' that we might get approved sometime in June (ie, if there is no RFE, etc), as they are moving pretty fast through there at the moment (I know there is no surefire way to do an estimate, so like I said, this is just a guess).

Anyway, we have applied for the K-1 while we are both here abroad in New Zealand. Our return ticket and travel plans have always been that we get back at the end of October 04. I just read about the fact that the I-129F, once approved, is valid for a period of 4 months. That brings us to sometime in October. I heard that you can however apply for an extension to the validity date of the I-129F.

I may be totally confused here. He was hoping to have an interview sometime in November if everything went right. Do you have 4 months to start the paperwork with the London consulate or 4 months to do the paperwork and have your interview within? Ie if he started the paperwork within the 4 month timeframe but scheduled an interview for the 5th month (Nov), would he be okay?

My question is- has anyone who has gone through the London consulate had to do an extension of the validity date? Was it a relatively straightforward process? Any problems you encountered?
Old May 21st 2004, 10:22 am
Harold

Default Re: I-129F: extension of 'validity date of I-129F' through London consulate???

Vermont is already processing petitions from 4/28/04.

The petition is good for four months from date of approval and
consulates are authorized to extend that for another four months.

Old May 21st 2004, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

mpd131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-129F: extension of 'validity date of I-129F' through London consulate???

Thanks for that.

Yeah, I was aware that they are processing applications from April 28th, so I'm fairly sure they are working on ours at the moment.

However, I was looking for any info on the process of filing for an extension- do you do this with the US consulate in London or with the VSC or who? Has anybody ever had any trouble filing for an extension?