Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-103 petition London...and staying in UK

Wikiposts

I-103 petition London...and staying in UK

Old May 9th 2002, 1:20 am
S.M.

Default I-103 petition London...and staying in UK

HI Once my wife files the I-130 in the London embassy, is she required to stay in the
UK until processing is complete, or can she return to the US.....and let me finish
the process? Thanks
S.M.

Old May 9th 2002, 1:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-103 petition London...and staying in UK

As long as she has residency status decreed by the UK government at the time of filing, her return to the US to set up a household, etc. should not be a problem with the US Consulate. She is not required to attend the interview with you.
Old May 9th 2002, 2:20 am
S.M.

I meant the 130....sorry.

"S.M." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > HI Once my wife files the I-130 in the London embassy, is she required to
stay
    > in the UK until processing is complete, or can she return to the
US.....and
    > let me finish the process? Thanks
    > S.M.

Old May 9th 2002, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

You just have to be a resident of the UK. This doesn't mean you can't be resident elsewhere at the same time, as residency is not the same as physical presence. As long as you have proof of residency and a UK address (eg the marital home), there should be no problems.

It certainly makes providing evidence for the I-864 a lot easier if the US spouse is able to move to the US ahead of the immigrating spouse (though not essential for DCFfing in London).
Old May 9th 2002, 4:20 am
S.M.

excellent....thanks Rete

Old May 9th 2002, 7:20 am
Rogerpenycate

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > As long as she has residency status decreed by the UK government at the time of
    > filing, her return to the US to set up a household, etc. should not be a problem
    > with the US Consulate. She is not required to attend the interview with you.

We've just done exactly that, filed the I-130 and my wife has gone back to get things
organised (car etc) She did have residency status, work permit, medical card and an
NI number. She now has to send me the I-864 and her last 3 years tax returns from
when she lived there. I'd be interested to know your timeline. We sent the I-130
(followed by the DS-230) about 7 weeks ago, the INS in London cashed my visa payment
6 weeks ago, and I heard exactly NOTHING, despite "pestering" their helpline in
Edinburgh a couple of times. My direct email is: [email protected]
If you want to keep in touch. Good Luck Roger (+ Ida)

Old May 10th 2002, 12:20 am
S.M.

roger Thanks for the reply. We haven't files the I-130 yet as we are waiting on my
wife's FLR application to come back form IND in Croydon. I'll let you know when we
get around to filing...in the mean time keep us up to date on how things go.

By the way did your wife have Further Leave to Remain, or Indefinite leave to
remain? Thanks

S.M.

Old May 10th 2002, 8:20 am
Rogerpenycate

"S.M." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > roger Thanks for the reply. We haven't files the I-130 yet as we are waiting on my
    > wife's FLR application to come back form IND in Croydon. I'll let you know when we
    > get around to filing...in the mean time keep us up to date on how things go.
    >
    > By the way did your wife have Further Leave to Remain, or Indefinite leave to
    > remain? Thanks
    >
    > S.M.

She had the full works, residency, work permit, NI number (eventually) Medical card
(free medical) Something I can't get used to when we move Hope this helps. Roger