Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical question – regarding CR-1 visa

Wikiposts

Hypothetical question – regarding CR-1 visa

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

johnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nice
Default Hypothetical question – regarding CR-1 visa

Let's say that my wife's a k3. After she gets here, we file for AOS, and lets say (since we're going through Baltimore), in 8-9 months, her AOS is approved and since our marriage is less than 2 years old, she gets a CR-1. Then 90 days before (we can't file any earlier, because USCIS says so) her CR-1 expires, we file for removal of condition. My question is this -

What if the condition-removal process takes more than 90 days (a 99.9999% guarantee that it will take more than 90 days)? What happens to my wife's status? Does she become illegal and start to "overstay"?

Is there any way she can extend her CR-1, or will CIS give us any kind of paperwork that states that her application is pending and she is not illegal?

Thanks for your response.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hypothetical question – regarding CR-1 visa

Originally Posted by johnandrose
Let's say that my wife's a k3. After she gets here, we file for AOS, and lets say (since we're going through Baltimore), in 8-9 months, her AOS is approved and since our marriage is less than 2 years old, she gets a CR-1. Then 90 days before (we can't file any earlier, because USCIS says so) her CR-1 expires, we file for removal of condition. My question is this -

What if the condition-removal process takes more than 90 days (a 99.9999% guarantee that it will take more than 90 days)? What happens to my wife's status? Does she become illegal and start to "overstay"?

Is there any way she can extend her CR-1, or will CIS give us any kind of paperwork that states that her application is pending and she is not illegal?

Your wife will be issued a NOA extending her I-551 for a year - employment and travel authorized. She continues to be a PR until her I-751 is adjudicated (even when the NOA expires). Most I-751s take about a year or more to adjudicate (and that is without interview).
Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

johnandrose,

Nothing theoretical about this situation, it's happened to many people. Some people have become citizens while waiting for conditions to be removed.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by johnandrose

Old Oct 21st 2004, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

johnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Some people have become citizens while waiting for conditions to be removed.
ha?????!!!!!! DAMN!! Good to know