Wikiposts

Husband still in US

Old Sep 21st 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Husband still in US

... does anyone here have a clue what we do now? I came back to the UK about 3 weeks ago, loving every minute of it but I want my hub here too UK Yankee forum is a load of crap, to be honest, has anyone HERE, on this forum, come back to the UK without their spouse and applied for their ILR visa from the UK for them to come over?
Also, another question (because he is cracking up literally without me and I just want him here NOW, he suffers from severe depressive episodes and I hate it when I'm not with him when he gets like it) what would happen if he came over on VWP? Even if it was just for a holiday (don't worry, I know the score, he's not going to be able to stay, etc.) would he be turned away at the POE because they would suspect he was going to enter illegally and stay, bearing in mind I'm his wife so he would have reason to do so?
Does anyone have any great ideas on what to do now? Even if it's just coping strategies, I'd love to hear about how others have managed in that or similar situations.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:49 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband still in US

Originally Posted by Emma M
... does anyone here have a clue what we do now? I came back to the UK about 3 weeks ago, loving every minute of it but I want my hub here too UK Yankee forum is a load of crap, to be honest, has anyone HERE, on this forum, come back to the UK without their spouse and applied for their ILR visa from the UK for them to come over?
Also, another question (because he is cracking up literally without me and I just want him here NOW, he suffers from severe depressive episodes and I hate it when I'm not with him when he gets like it) what would happen if he came over on VWP? Even if it was just for a holiday (don't worry, I know the score, he's not going to be able to stay, etc.) would he be turned away at the POE because they would suspect he was going to enter illegally and stay, bearing in mind I'm his wife so he would have reason to do so?
Does anyone have any great ideas on what to do now? Even if it's just coping strategies, I'd love to hear about how others have managed in that or similar situations.
Hi Emma,

You might get more luck if you posted this on the US forum here.

Good luck though.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Emma I don't know how the law has changed over the years. But I married a US citizen many years ago and he emigrated to the UK. He came over I think on a visa 'I will ask him', looked for a job and then had to make sure to check in every few months to show his card. I think this last bit of information has vastly changed over the years.
Have you thought of going to the UK immigration website they do have lots of information on what to do. You can also type in the search engine, emigrating to the UK from the US and see what information and websites it gives you.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

What's your situation in the UK? Do you have a job, accomodation, etc?

From what I have been told and I hope it's true, the application time in the US for a spousal visa is really quick.

I think that if he did go over to the UK for a holiday he maybe asked to prove substantial links to the US to show that he was going back, things like savings, job, apartment/house, etc. I think that it would be good, to get advice from people who have done this though.

Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

Hey Em,

My situation was a little different, but basically my hubby had to prove:

1. We were married and had co-habited for a set amount of time prior to app
2. he was employable
3. that i had a job to support us
4. he had to agree to not claim job seekers allowance or social in any way

This got him a spousal visa. Then when we got there - he got a job and with in a year applied for a ILR.

this is a good starting point:

http://www.1stcontactvisas.com/Uk-Vi...tner-visa.aspx

We are looking at doing it again, my hubby and i are very close, it is tough to be apart for extended times. This time he will be going to the UK first and I (and the kids) will follow in a few months. It will be hell on the kids- he is a very hands on Daddy.

Good luck

Last edited by needasmack; Sep 22nd 2008 at 6:46 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Another good link is here.

Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my US wife over when I was in the UK.

I don't remember all the paperwork details (cos it was so easy!). But she basically needed to apply somewhere in California. I faxed her the few docs she didn't have i.e. a letter to say I would support her, etc.

She then sent it all off with a check, and within about week she had a spouse visa! She then flew on over.

I know that's horribly vague, but I did want to say it can be done and it's quite easy. This was in '06, so not too long ago.

The links on here provide more of the technical details.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
What's your situation in the UK? Do you have a job, accomodation, etc?

From what I have been told and I hope it's true, the application time in the US for a spousal visa is really quick.

I think that if he did go over to the UK for a holiday he maybe asked to prove substantial links to the US to show that he was going back, things like savings, job, apartment/house, etc. I think that it would be good, to get advice from people who have done this though.

Good luck.
I don't have a job as yet, but I do have a brother who earns £30,000 a year and who is willing to be a sponsor if I don't make enough money once I have found employment. Does anyone know how much I would need to be earning to become his sponsor? I have accomodation though, but I do know that I will have to pay for rent, council tax, etc. without the help of public funds when we start his application.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by needasmack
Hey Em,

My situation was a little different, but basically my hubby had to prove:

1. We were married and had co-habited for a set amount of time prior to app
2. he was employable
3. that i had a job to support us
4. he had to agree to not claim job seekers allowance or social in any way

This got him a spousal visa. Then when we got there - he got a job and with in a year applied for a ILR.

this is a good starting point:

http://www.1stcontactvisas.com/Uk-Vi...tner-visa.aspx

We are looking at doing it again, my hubby and i are very close, it is tough to be apart for extended times. This time he will be going to the UK first and I (and the kids) will follow in a few months. It will be hell on the kids- he is a very hands on Daddy.

Good luck
Thanks for the link I appreciate that! Good luck to you too with your move!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Another good link is here.

Good luck.
cheers!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I brought my US wife over when I was in the UK.

I don't remember all the paperwork details (cos it was so easy!). But she basically needed to apply somewhere in California. I faxed her the few docs she didn't have i.e. a letter to say I would support her, etc.

She then sent it all off with a check, and within about week she had a spouse visa! She then flew on over.

I know that's horribly vague, but I did want to say it can be done and it's quite easy. This was in '06, so not too long ago.

The links on here provide more of the technical details.
I hope it is easy. I was so focussed on getting back to the UK that I was unprepared for just how much hub and I would miss each other! Silly I know, it's like THE most obvious thing, but we were together, and we literally couldn't imagine being apart to prepare ourselves for it.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't have a job as yet, but I do have a brother who earns £30,000 a year and who is willing to be a sponsor if I don't make enough money once I have found employment. Does anyone know how much I would need to be earning to become his sponsor? I have accomodation though, but I do know that I will have to pay for rent, council tax, etc. without the help of public funds when we start his application.
Not sure about whether sponsorship through a family memember is allowed. I'm sure I've read some stuff about it but can't be a 100% sure. I think that it isn't allowed, but I would search on that stuff.

Definitely look to get yourself a job and look to see what you can do with regards to building up a bank balance and if your husband can work and will try to include that in your application too.

FeaFlyFoFum, I hope I got that correct, started a thread a while back dealing specifically with the issue. I hope that helps somewhat.

good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not sure about whether sponsorship through a family memember is allowed. I'm sure I've read some stuff about it but can't be a 100% sure. I think that it isn't allowed, but I would search on that stuff.

Definitely look to get yourself a job and look to see what you can do with regards to building up a bank balance and if your husband can work and will try to include that in your application too.

FeaFlyFoFum, I hope I got that correct, started a thread a while back dealing specifically with the issue. I hope that helps somewhat.

good luck.
Ohh, I heard it was allowed. I know that in the US, I could have had his family members sponsoring me if he hadn't earned enough, and I know that if I had got my green card I wouldn't have been able to sponsor my brother coming over to me, for instance. Well hopefully by then I'll be in a position to sponsor him myself and get him over here once and for all, lol!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

good luck.
we also had my uncle and aunt provide back up financial support....never needed them, but it may immigration happy!

note: please forgive any spelling or grammer issues ...no coffee yet this am
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ohh, I heard it was allowed. I know that in the US, I could have had his family members sponsoring me if he hadn't earned enough, and I know that if I had got my green card I wouldn't have been able to sponsor my brother coming over to me, for instance. Well hopefully by then I'll be in a position to sponsor him myself and get him over here once and for all, lol!
Hey Emma,

My understanding is that you pretty much can't sponsor anyone when you have a green card and you have to wait till your a citizen for that.

I maybe wrong on the family being able to provide support in the UK though. Please do check on that.

Good Luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.