Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Husband here on K-3.....Now what?

Wikiposts

Husband here on K-3.....Now what?

Old Dec 9th 2003, 4:01 am
GreenCard Holder

NKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant future
Default Husband here on K-3.....Now what?

Hey everyone,

My husband arrived safely on 3 December at Chicago O'Hare Airport. I promised to post a synopsis of his experience so here it is, along with some questions.

He arrived about 2:20pm and did not clear customs/immigration until about 4:15pm. He said the majority of the time they had him sitting while others passed him by. He was asked questions like the name of my daughter, my parents names, how many siblings I had. They also photgraphed him and fingerprinted him. That was it. Nothing too dramatic, once they actually spoke to him, he said it only took about 20 minutes.

Now on to my questions......
He arrived on the K-3 so we filed the I-765 (employment authorization) and a AR-11SR (change of address). Is there anything else we need to do? Can he apply for a social security number right now or does he need to wait?

Thanks for any info you all can provide!!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:04 am
GreenCard Holder

NKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant futureNKA418 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Husband here on K-3.....Now what?

Wow, the board is really moving today. I'm bumping my thread up so it doesn't get lost

Originally posted by NKA418
Hey everyone,

My husband arrived safely on 3 December at Chicago O'Hare Airport. I promised to post a synopsis of his experience so here it is, along with some questions.

He arrived about 2:20pm and did not clear customs/immigration until about 4:15pm. He said the majority of the time they had him sitting while others passed him by. He was asked questions like the name of my daughter, my parents names, how many siblings I had. They also photgraphed him and fingerprinted him. That was it. Nothing too dramatic, once they actually spoke to him, he said it only took about 20 minutes.

He arrived on the K-3 so we filed the I-765 (employment authorization) and a AR-11SR (change of address). Is there anything else we need to do? Can he apply for a social security number right now or does he need to wait?

Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:05 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

I don't know if he can apply for a ssn right now, but congratulations that you finally have him home!

Hey everyone,

Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations............
Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Congratulations

I'm sorry I don't know the answers to your questions but this will help bump your post back up to the top!

One thing I do know...
Re: Husband here on K-3.....Now what?

... Just stay in, in the warm together

(EDIT NOTE: Forgot the most important bit, Congratulations!!!)
Old Dec 9th 2003, 5:56 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

NKA,

You can think about whether he wants to apply for adjustment of status either now or when your I-130 is approved (depends on the procedure followed by your local District or Sub office) or return home to apply for an immigrant visa when the I-130 is approved.

He cannot apply for a SS card until he has an EAD in hand.

Regards, JEff

Hey everyone,

Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:01 am
GreenCard Holder

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
NKA,

You can think about whether he wants to apply for adjustment of status either now or when your I-130 is approved (depends on the procedure followed by your local District or Sub office) or return home to apply for an immigrant visa when the I-130 is approved.

He cannot apply for a SS card until he has an EAD in hand.

Regards, JEff

How can I find out which procedure my district or sub office follows? The only information I received was from the USCIS website which said he needed to mail a copy of his approved I-130 petition along with the application for Adjustment of Status. We do hope for him to apply from here (whether it's now or later) because a ticket back to Egypt may be costly and we don't want to spend any more time apart.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:24 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

NKA,

For one thing, you could post which District or Sub office you use. Perhaps others in your area will have been through it already and can tell you.

If the information you saw on the CIS web site was on the page for your local office, then you know their procedure already. If it was on a general information page, then re-read my 1st paragraph. Or submit an I-485 and see what happens.

Regards, JEff

How can I find out which procedure my district or sub office follows? The only information I received was from the USCIS website which said he needed to mail a copy of his approved I-130 petition along with the application for Adjustment of Status. We do hope for him to apply from here (whether it's now or later) because a ticket back to Egypt may be costly and we don't want to spend any more time apart.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:38 am
GreenCard Holder

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
NKA,

For one thing, you could post which District or Sub office you use. Perhaps others in your area will have been through it already and can tell you.

If the information you saw on the CIS web site was on the page for your local office, then you know their procedure already. If it was on a general information page, then re-read my 1st paragraph. Or submit an I-485 and see what happens.

Regards, JEff
Jeff, if you look next to my name it states I'm in Wiscosin. The information I read was from the general information page. So far I've checked the Milwaukee office's page and it doesn't really state whether you can file the I-485 from there or not. I'm guess no because it doesn't mention it.

If anyone has any information about the Chicago Local office or the Milwaukee Sub Office and whether or not you can file an I-485 prior to receiving an approved I-130 petition, please let me know....

Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2003, 6:49 am

NKA,

I'm on BritishExpats, like you. So I can see your location. But most of the readers of alt.visa.us.marriage-based are not on British Expats and do not know that you are in Wisconsin unless you tell them.

Unless, of course, you have restricted your posts to British Expats, in which case you have cut yourself off from many potential sources of information.

Also, I'm too lazy to check to see how many District and Sub offices might serve Wisconsin.

Regards, JEff

Jeff, if you look next to my name it states I'm in Wiscosin. ...
Old Dec 9th 2003, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

egipto26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello NKA, I'm glad your husband got here safely.
That is great news. I guess it seems the customs/immigration
thing wasn't too complicated.
Can't wait until it's my husband's turn.
Well good luck..hope to chat with you soon insh'allah.

Hey everyone,