Wikiposts

HPV vaccination

Old May 20th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

janet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nice
Default HPV vaccination

Hi, I had my medical yesterday in London and was told I needed the HPV vaccine to complete the AOS once in the US. I've been looking at some old threads from a few months ago but can't find the info I was looking for. I was willing to pay the £120 to have it done yesterday but was told the vaccination is three shots over a six month period so I won't be here to complete it. Does this mean I won't be eligible to work until the treatment is complete or does it mean I just have to provide evidence at some point that I have had it once I'm there?

My 27th birthday is too far away to wait and I definately don't want to get pregnant at the moment so I don't really have any other way around it.

Thanks for any help.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HPV vaccination

I have no idea about your work question but how strange that they say this vaccine is mandatory. It isn't even mandatory in the US. Merck (who invented and makes the vaccine) lobbied for it but it isn't mandatory. If I was you I'd look into this a bit further (whether it really is mandatory for AOS etc.).
There is no research at all about the long term effects of this vaccine, and it doesn't prevent anything that a regular pap doesn't do (you'd still have to get those too even if you do get vaccinated). And if you do get HPV (75% of all people do) the body clears itself of it in most of the cases, and in other cases needs a bit of help from simple procedures. A lot of doctors are actually *not* recommending the vaccine for a myriad of reasons easily found through Google News (see here for instance from last week: http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/3077).

Anyway, not trying to start a vaccine debate, my real point is that I find it strange that they're trying to give you a series of vaccinations that are not mandatory in the US (which all other vaccinations on the list are).

Last edited by HunterGreen; May 20th 2008 at 2:14 am.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:16 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janet82
Hi, I had my medical yesterday in London and was told I needed the HPV vaccine to complete the AOS once in the US. I've been looking at some old threads from a few months ago but can't find the info I was looking for. I was willing to pay the £120 to have it done yesterday but was told the vaccination is three shots over a six month period so I won't be here to complete it. Does this mean I won't be eligible to work until the treatment is complete or does it mean I just have to provide evidence at some point that I have had it once I'm there?

My 27th birthday is too far away to wait and I definately don't want to get pregnant at the moment so I don't really have any other way around it.

Thanks for any help.
This may be a bit tricky. To get your green card you need to send in your EAD application along with your AoS application. You can't send your AoS application in until you have all the required vaccination information transcribed onto an I-693a, and you may not be able to get that filled until the entire vaccination has been given.

That being said, you could submit the AoS without any medical information and with the I-765 to get the EAD, and respond to the possible resulting RFE for medical information when it comes.

I think your best bet is to speak to a USCIS approved Civil Surgeon about what they will do for the I-693a in regards to the HPV vaccine, and how soon they can put it on.
Old May 20th 2008, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

janet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nice

Thanks for your advice, I'll hopefully be having my interview soon so will ask somebody at the embassy to clarify what restrictions, if any, there might be without the jab.
Old May 20th 2008, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Can you get the HPV jab free in the UK or do you have to pay for it? Just wondering as have researched it and I can find school girls getting it but nothing about generally getting it on the NHS...
Old May 20th 2008, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

I was told that some GPs are doing them, you'd have to check with yours, but I don't how widespread it is. Even if your GP does do it , I think you still have to pay as it's doesn't come under the NHS. It was on the news a while back but i think that was just a trial they offered to teenage girls.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:17 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if you've found any concrete information about your series of HPV vaccinations, but I think I have the answer for you.

Check out CDC's Technical Instructions to Civil Surgeons for Vaccination Requirements, specifically page 9.

Completing “3. Results”.
After reviewing entries in “2. Immunization Record” for all the vaccines, only one appropriate box under “3. Results” must be checked.
  • Vaccine history complete for each vaccine.
    If the applicant has met vaccination requirements for each vaccine recommended, the “Vaccine history complete for each vaccine, all requirements met” box must be checked; however, this will probably not occur.
  • Vaccination history incomplete - Applicant may be eligible for blanket waivers(s).
    Completion of a vaccine series is not required to conclude the medical examination because such a requirement would require multiple visits to a civil surgeon and could lead to unnecessary delay in the adjustment of status application process. If any of the boxes under the “Not Medically Appropriate” heading was checked, the “Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) as indicated above” box must be checked. This will probably always be checked because some vaccines may not be age appropriate for the applicant, unless he or she requests a waiver based on religious or moral convictions or refuses vaccination.

So it looks like they mark on the I-693a that you have started the vaccination series, but you don't need to wait for the series to be completed before you submit I-693a to USCIS.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:47 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Knight
This may be a bit tricky. To get your green card you need to send in your EAD application along with your AoS application. You can't send your AoS application in until you have all the required vaccination information transcribed onto an I-693a, and you may not be able to get that filled until the entire vaccination has been given.

That being said, you could submit the AoS without any medical information and with the I-765 to get the EAD, and respond to the possible resulting RFE for medical information when it comes.

I think your best bet is to speak to a USCIS approved Civil Surgeon about what they will do for the I-693a in regards to the HPV vaccine, and how soon they can put it on.
Just an FYI; you can send in your AOS application without the EAD (and send in EAD later). Although in this situation, that's sort of a moot point.

Will you have to have your vaccines complete in order to work? Technically no. EAD and AP are both 'benefits' that you are qualified for as a K1 visa holder. They are adjudicated separately from the AOS (I 485). In 99% of cases, people's EAD and AP are granted before the I 485 is approved.

HOWEVER, since most people prefer to send in the EAD application with the I 485, you would obviously want to send in a complete I 485 - which would include the vaccination supplement. The supplement would thus need to show your HPV vaccine (or that you started the regime). Looking at it from that perspective, then yes - you'll need to have started the HPV shots in order to get your work authorization.

Does that make any sense? LOL.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:51 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Just an FYI; you can send in your AOS application without the EAD (and send in EAD later). Although in this situation, that's sort of a moot point.

Will you have to have your vaccines complete in order to work? Technically no. EAD and AP are both 'benefits' that you are qualified for as a K1 visa holder. They are adjudicated separately from the AOS (I 485). In 99% of cases, people's EAD and AP are granted before the I 485 is approved.

HOWEVER, since most people prefer to send in the EAD application with the I 485, you would obviously want to send in a complete I 485 - which would include the vaccination supplement. The supplement would thus need to show your HPV vaccine (or that you started the regime). Looking at it from that perspective, then yes - you'll need to have started the HPV shots in order to get your work authorization.

Does that make any sense? LOL.
Yeah, I was just looking at it from the view that you can't submit I-765 before I-485, and to submit I-485 it would be a good idea to include the medical information. Or you could run the risk of an RFE and just file I-485 with no medical information and I-765 to get the EAD in hand as quick as possible.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:51 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Knight
Yeah, I was just looking at it from the view that you can't submit I-765 before I-485, and to submit I-485 it would be a good idea to include the medical information. Or you could run the risk of an RFE and just file I-485 with no medical information and I-765 to get the EAD in hand as quick as possible.
I knew exactly what you meant - just making sure that everyone else was following our train of thought.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:52 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by TracyTN
I knew exactly what you meant - just making sure that everyone else was following our train of thought.
At least one of us knows what I am talking about then!
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:54 am
Instigator of the Post

Old May 22nd 2008, 7:36 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.
Hi,It does sem a bit strange that its a required shot. It's so new. My friend started her shots a few months go. They are painful and she got really sick from it. They are spread out over several months.. Also it only protects against a few strains of HPV and not all of them.You do still need to get regular papas. I have an American friend who lives in the UK that said NHS only covers the cost of the pap once every 5 years which is very dangerous! Get all the shots you vcan from NHS . also the shot for Chicken Pox is not available in the UK. You would have to get that in the US
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hi,It does sem a bit strange that its a required shot. It's so new. My friend started her shots a few months go. They are painful and she got really sick from it. They are spread out over several months.. Also it only protects against a few strains of HPV and not all of them.You do still need to get regular papas. I have an American friend who lives in the UK that said NHS only covers the cost of the pap once every 5 years which is very dangerous! Get all the shots you vcan from NHS . also the shot for Chicken Pox is not available in the UK. You would have to get that in the US
Is your friend a gynaecologist?
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.
I'd suggest searching the USCIS website. This vax certainly wasn't compulsory in March of this year. Furthermore, it is not really recommended for people once they are sexually active. (Of course Merck may disagree LOL.)

Good luck with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.